Coach Clarkson has left the building

Remove this Banner Ad

With the events that have happened I'm not so sure the club have handled the situation that badly. The media and particularly caro have inflamed what has happened.
Those that have suggested the club has handled the situation badly could they please impart some of their wisdom as to how they would have handled the situation.

With the events that have happened I'm not so sure the club have handled the situation that badly. The media and particularly caro have inflamed what has happened.
Those that have suggested the club has handled the situation badly could they please impart some of their wisdom as to how they would have handled the situation.

if you want to sack the coach, sack the coach.

I’m not close enough to know if it’s the right call, but the handling is nothing short of humiliating for everyone involved.

Sent today from Jeff.. ( sorry, had earlier posted in the wrong thread )

Hi there, Hawkers.

Well to say it has been a busy week is of course an understatement.

So let me fill you in as fully but as succinctly as possible.

As you know we had all hoped, and publicly expressed, that discussions between Hawthorn and our senior coach would not take place until the end of the year.

Some weeks ago, Alastair asked that the matter be bought forward.

Out of respect to him we did so.

That meant the Board had to consider the position of Hawthorn’s senior coach beyond 2022.

Alastair has been our most successful coach who, with an extraordinary group of players, won us four premierships.

But the Board had to consider what was best for the club for the decade beyond 2022.

After much discussion and acknowledging that Alastair would have been in the same job for 18 years by end of next season and was unlikely to be the solution for the next decade, we decided that a change of senior coach was inevitable.

Having made that decision, we also thought it was better to inform the coach upfront so he could have maximum flexibility in considering his future. That is seeing out his time with us at Hawthorn or accepting an appointment at another club.

We thought the concept of the master, Alastair and the pupil Sam would work.

Sadly, it did not work out as we had hoped.

On Tuesday evening the coach expressed the view that he felt the club would be better served if he handed over to Sam at this season’s end.

After further discussion we agreed.

Clarko will leave the coaching role with the respect he has earned and deserves.

But he is not leaving just yet and will continue coaching Hawthorn until the end of this season.

Further, just as coach John Kennedy Senior’s influence has long lingered at Hawthorn, we hope that Clarko’s will do the same.

So, Sam Mitchell has been given the same opportunity Alastair was given in 2004. An Assistant Coach, a former player, trained for a senior position, ready and excited to prove himself. Alastair was 36 years of age at the time of his appointment Sam will be 39 years of age. Sam is ready and primed.

Sam will be fully supported by the Board, the players and I am sure the membership. He has already earned an incredible reputation at Hawthorn and beyond.

Sam played 307 games for the Hawks, played in four premiership sides, was our premiership captain in 2008, and Brownlow Medallist in 2012. Beat that record if you can!

We hope from the end of this season Sam will be our coach for the next decade, and we fully expect he and our players will develop into the Hawthorn machine that will deliver our next piece of silverware.

Change is not always easy but standing still can often have your opponent’s leave you behind.

We have all seen glimpses on the field of the good things that lie ahead for us. No, we have not won many games but we are giving our players of the future the games they need to develop.

They are being assisted by some wonderfully experienced players who themselves are premiership players with years under their belts.

Yes, we have encountered some choppy waters recently and might for the next few days, but we remain focused on what is in the best interests of the club.

That was the reason Alastair made the concession today. The club is more important than any of us. The club will continue, as personalities change.

It is the club that binds us all. Alastair, me, Sam the Board, players and we do it all for our members.

And to that end thank you Hawkers wherever you reside. You have stuck with us through almost two years of life altering COVID. In fact, our membership numbers grew over last year’s result.

So, one other matter briefly. On Sunday, we play Brisbane in Launceston. The week after Collingwood, and the week after Western Bulldogs. Three games in a row in Tassie. Never before has that been achieved. Seven games in total in the Apple Isle.

We are grateful for the opportunity to play some of the best supported games in the home of our major sponsor Tasmania and give our many Tasmanian members more opportunities to watch us play than ever before.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.

Stay safe, get vaccinated and go Hawks.

No Clarko.
No 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015 premierships.
One person.
A singular, underlying pattern.
No hodge and we don’t win those flags either. Clarko was an important part. But he was just a part of a much bigger system that lead to those flags.

No Clarko.
No 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015 premierships.
One person.
A singular, underlying pattern.
This train of thought is getting more ridiculous by the minute
If by this logic he was responsible for all 4 premierships single handedly then he is also single handedly responsible for our poor seasons over the last few years
Or does that not fit your narrative?

Just get behind Sam Mitchell. That’s all that matters from this point on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That is not all that matters. The Board has to be made accountable for how they have handled this mess.

Sent today from Jeff.. ( sorry, had earlier posted in the wrong thread )

Hi there, Hawkers.

Well to say it has been a busy week is of course an understatement.

So let me fill you in as fully but as succinctly as possible.

As you know we had all hoped, and publicly expressed, that discussions between Hawthorn and our senior coach would not take place until the end of the year.

Some weeks ago, Alastair asked that the matter be bought forward.

Out of respect to him we did so.

That meant the Board had to consider the position of Hawthorn’s senior coach beyond 2022.

Alastair has been our most successful coach who, with an extraordinary group of players, won us four premierships.

But the Board had to consider what was best for the club for the decade beyond 2022.

After much discussion and acknowledging that Alastair would have been in the same job for 18 years by end of next season and was unlikely to be the solution for the next decade, we decided that a change of senior coach was inevitable.

Having made that decision, we also thought it was better to inform the coach upfront so he could have maximum flexibility in considering his future. That is seeing out his time with us at Hawthorn or accepting an appointment at another club.

We thought the concept of the master, Alastair and the pupil Sam would work.

Sadly, it did not work out as we had hoped.

On Tuesday evening the coach expressed the view that he felt the club would be better served if he handed over to Sam at this season’s end.

After further discussion we agreed.

Clarko will leave the coaching role with the respect he has earned and deserves.

But he is not leaving just yet and will continue coaching Hawthorn until the end of this season.

Further, just as coach John Kennedy Senior’s influence has long lingered at Hawthorn, we hope that Clarko’s will do the same.

So, Sam Mitchell has been given the same opportunity Alastair was given in 2004. An Assistant Coach, a former player, trained for a senior position, ready and excited to prove himself. Alastair was 36 years of age at the time of his appointment Sam will be 39 years of age. Sam is ready and primed.

Sam will be fully supported by the Board, the players and I am sure the membership. He has already earned an incredible reputation at Hawthorn and beyond.

Sam played 307 games for the Hawks, played in four premiership sides, was our premiership captain in 2008, and Brownlow Medallist in 2012. Beat that record if you can!

We hope from the end of this season Sam will be our coach for the next decade, and we fully expect he and our players will develop into the Hawthorn machine that will deliver our next piece of silverware.

Change is not always easy but standing still can often have your opponent’s leave you behind.

We have all seen glimpses on the field of the good things that lie ahead for us. No, we have not won many games but we are giving our players of the future the games they need to develop.

They are being assisted by some wonderfully experienced players who themselves are premiership players with years under their belts.

Yes, we have encountered some choppy waters recently and might for the next few days, but we remain focused on what is in the best interests of the club.

That was the reason Alastair made the concession today. The club is more important than any of us. The club will continue, as personalities change.

It is the club that binds us all. Alastair, me, Sam the Board, players and we do it all for our members.

And to that end thank you Hawkers wherever you reside. You have stuck with us through almost two years of life altering COVID. In fact, our membership numbers grew over last year’s result.

So, one other matter briefly. On Sunday, we play Brisbane in Launceston. The week after Collingwood, and the week after Western Bulldogs. Three games in a row in Tassie. Never before has that been achieved. Seven games in total in the Apple Isle.

We are grateful for the opportunity to play some of the best supported games in the home of our major sponsor Tasmania and give our many Tasmanian members more opportunities to watch us play than ever before.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.

Stay safe, get vaccinated and go Hawks.

Awesome...

A nothing letter followed by a few paragraphs on his sexually arousing topic (Tassie and the map)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mayo it may be in your eyes but to me it sounds like you're undervaluing what he's done for our club and footy in general. He has essentially turned our fortunes from a laughing stock during the 90's and early 00's to back being a powerhouse again. No Clarko would probably mean we would be likened to a team like North or St. Kilda - perennial losers. Look around the you, the past 8 premierships has been won by him and his protegees.

Co- incidence? Maybe. But it sure doesn't stop the AFL communities' appetite to jump on anyone that he and the club has been associated with. From assistant coaches to fitness coaches to ex- players turned assistant coaches to current clubs.

Clarko's choices and his influence had made us a success. Therefore stating that he has single handedly delivered us four premierships I believe is apt and not exaggerated.
There's no greater devotee to the Church of Clarko than myself, but first and foremost you do need to have the cattle on the park. So it certainly helps that in his formative years he had the good fortune to recruit the likes of Franklin, Lewis, Roughead, Rioli, Birchall to complement emerging stars in Hodge, Mitchell and Williams in order to build a team around. (And that was a bit that was of course executed beautifully, not just in the luxuries like Burgoyne, Gibson, Lake, Dew, Gunston, but Poppy, Breust, Smith). But all up, in a sense there is def an element of luck, which is something we haven't had much of in the past few years unfortunately.

There's no greater devotee to the Church of Clarko than myself, but first and foremost you do need to have the cattle on the park. So it certainly helps that in his formative years he had the good fortune to recruit the likes of Franklin, Lewis, Roughead, Rioli, Birchall to complement emerging stars in Hodge, Mitchell and Williams in order to build a team around. (And that was a bit that was of course executed beautifully, not just in the luxuries like Burgoyne, Gibson, Lake, Dew, Gunston, but Poppy, Breust, Smith). But all up, in a sense there is def an element of luck, which is something we haven't had much of in the past few years unfortunately.
The last 8 GFs have been Clarko or his apprentices ,suggests it may be more than just luck

The last 8 GFs have been Clarko or his apprentices ,suggests it may be more than just luck
And that all stems from having a spine of absolute champions (if not legends), to coach and build a team around. So is it the coach who makes the player, or other way around?

Awesome...

A nothing letter followed by a few paragraphs on his sexually arousing topic (Tassie and the map)
Why don't you just come out and say it :)

Are we talking about GWS or other teams ?
GWS is a good case study, but not only has that Frankenstein list been raped and pillaged with every year, but being located in a rugby/soccer stronghold culture makes it too synthetic to draw comparisons. I'm not taking anything away from Clarkson (I think he's our greatest coach of all time), so maybe it's better to look at our 1988 premiership side, which you or I could have coached to a flag.

All good

I remember a post of yours recently where you said to take notice of open positions cryptic clues as he is on the money with what he was posting

You are either him, mates with him, or have the same contacts
Not mates, but am hearing disturbing things and have so for 18months off of BF that match up with what OP is posting.
Partially why I haven't held back on how bad he has been.

When I had inside info on the Doping Program, I didn't start a new account and post cryptically. Not my style.

I thought Jeff was going to open up with thanking Clarko for his contribution etc, instead opens with thanking the traditional owners of the land.
I used to be a Jeff supporter, but this bloke is an embarrassment.

Nothing wrong with thanking the traditional owners. FFS, didn’t you enjoy watching Cyril, buddy, Shaun, chance, etc etc ... this stuff matters!

If by this logic he was responsible for all 4 premierships single handedly then he is also single handedly responsible for our poor seasons over the last few years
Or does that not
Or does that not fit your narrative?
Absolutely. He has the most influential say on who to draft and which players to draw in from other clubs. Injury, unforseen premature retirements, serious illness from players , losing key personnel do play some part but the crux of it is- he's assembled a group of players that has failed. He's the head coach- he has absolute control of the team, its Indivduals and the style of play.

Absolutely. He has the most influential say on who to draft and which players to draw in from other clubs. Injury, unforseen premature retirements, serious illness from players , losing key personnel do play some part but the crux of it is- he's assembled a group of players that has failed. He's the head coach- he has absolute control of the team, its Indivduals and the style of play.
You are saying he’s single handedly responsible for both success and failure yet giving examples why he actually isn’t in the very same post

Sorry mate, but there are so many more variables to the success of this club than just the coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back