List Mgmt. Archer, Brady & The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

I find the obsession with teff on this forum very amusing. He gets brought up all the time by people that apparently don’t want him around yet are obsessed with him. It’s really interesting.
Rent free.

That's easy to say when it's not your own skin in the game.
And when commentary is damaging your business interests and your kids are copping flak for it.
I just find it truly astonishing from a governance perspective that an employee (ie Barrett) of the governing body (ie, the AFL), can lead a pretty crude and overt campaign against a board member (ie Archer) of the one of the game's constitute organisations (ie, us). And Barrett (and Caroline) bang on about conflict of interest. FMD, they don't know the definition of the term.

As much as I love the bloke, selling large parcels of rural land to foreign (you can probably guess which one) interests is the key plank in his real estate business.

What is the issue with Stevo and selling land to overseas buyers?

What is the issue with Stevo and selling land to overseas buyers?

Yeh I can see why that was confusing.

Was answering a question that yes, he's had involvement in the real estate game and also opining that the nature of his transactions (selling off chunks of the great Australian countryside to the deep pocketed Country X) isn't really indicative of any great business nouse.

I wasn't drawing a line between that and his suitability for the board.

Yeh I can see why that was confusing.

Was answering a question that yes, he's had involvement in the real estate game and also opining that the nature of his transactions (selling off chunks of the great Australian countryside to the deep pocketed Country X) isn't really indicative of any great business nouse.

I wasn't drawing a line between that and his suitability for the board.

Who is country X? China?

It is good business nouse to sell land to whomever has money. If the land in particular is sensitive, the government can block the sale, as they have numerous times with some large cattle ranches in the past.

I do not think we should sell any land to any individual or corporation that is owned or controlled by a foreign government, but we would probably go broke having to buy back all the assets we have flogged off to the UK and USA, what China owns is a drop in the ocean compared to those and if you do not think that doesn't come with strings attached then you would be naive. We have basically torpedoed our strong trading relationship with China because China is an economic threat to the USA. Whenever we get dicked on a trade deal with China, who comes in to sell to them instead, the Americans do. Fine ally.

We are just a banana republic doing whatever our masters tell us to do, has been that way for a long time. It doesn't really matter who's name is on the deed, we have been the quasi-51st state of the USA since WW2.

Is there a point here? Did you think that being on the board is a full-time job?

Considering Archer said he left to concentrate on other interests, yes, it must be somewhat demanding. Also it would be great to hear how he will be a good addition as a director since his time away from the fame

Who is country X? China?

It is good business nouse to sell land to whomever has money. If the land in particular is sensitive, the government can block the sale, as they have numerous times with some large cattle ranches in the past.

I do not think we should sell any land to any individual or corporation that is owned or controlled by a foreign government, but we would probably go broke having to buy back all the assets we have flogged off to the UK and USA, what China owns is a drop in the ocean compared to those and if you do not think that doesn't come with strings attached then you would be naive. We have basically torpedoed our strong trading relationship with China because China is an economic threat to the USA. Whenever we get dicked on a trade deal with China, who comes in to sell to them instead, the Americans do. Fine ally.

We are just a banana republic doing whatever our masters tell us to do, has been that way for a long time. It doesn't really matter who's name is on the deed, we have been the quasi-51st state of the USA since WW2.
Huge/multiple farms on the Atherton Tablelands are being bought by Canadian superannuation companies over the last few years. Where's the outcry?

Archer should have a thicker skin. fu** the media. You were elected to represent the members, not because the media approved of your position.
No, disagree. He has been continually slandered by Barrett, until it becomes detrimental to the club. Character assassination, that's all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, disagree. He has been continually slandered by Barrett, until it becomes detrimental to the club. Character assassination, that's all.

I just think if you let these clowns win, then the will think they can hound anyone they have a chip on their shoulder about and ruin their lives. I just don't like seeing people like that get away with it or feel they can have that impact.

Huge/multiple farms on the Atherton Tablelands are being bought by Canadian superannuation companies over the last few years. Where's the outcry?

Generally speaking, foreign investment is good. I think it is fine having super funds and investment funds purchasing assets which trade is fine, it frees up capital for the owner to invest in other things and it insures we continue to trade for profit, because those funds seek a good return on investment and capital growth.

The problem is foreign governments purchasing farmland to compensate for their failing agricultural system at home, and we allow a lot of countries to do that. You would have to question how much these corporations trade fairly or at market rates for supplying agricultural products to their home country. Do we get a fair return of the land being used or are we being stripped of our natural resources?

It is also extremely difficult to start a significant business in Australia without foreign investment, none of our banks or financial institutions are going to loan out tens or hundreds of millions to a startup without there being a significant amount of bricks and mortar involved to secure the funding, our financial institutions are heavily regulated and risk averse, it is why our banks are the safest in the world during a crisis and why the government can guarantee your deposits in them.

As of a few years ago, 15 of our 20 largest corporations are US majority owned and 3 more were 25% owned. All four of our big banks are now majority owned by the USA. These top 20 companies make up around half of our market capitalisation in the ASX.

We have basically been sucked in by a CIA effort to negatively stigmatise China and to China's credit, they have beautifully shot themselves in the foot by taking some moronic action which I am sure has made everyone in the USA give each other high fives as we now have the whole world vs China thing happening now. They became our largest trading partner because it was easier for us to trade with a communist nation than it was with the home of free market. They aren't going to step up to the plate and take our exports that was going to China, but they want to support us largely because most of these Australian exporting companies are USA owned now.

It is just a ridiculous scenario.

Last edited:
Who is country X? China?

We are currently a bigger economy than Russia and Brazil. We’ve leapfrogged countries who had an 1800 year head start.

We are the greatest country in the world, Tas, Pound for pound.

Side note, when do you think we start selling Uranium to India? That is the moment I’m waiting for, I tell you.

Normally this thread would have swerved to the same old wokesters stuff, now it has moved to foreign ownership instead.

I'm undecided as to whether this is an improvement or not lol.

Normally this thread would have swerved to the same old wokesters stuff, now it has moved to foreign ownership instead.

I'm undecided as to whether this is an improvement or not lol.
No sign of continual attacks on Peter Scanlan or The Huddle so far, I'd rate that as an improvement.

They seem like good appointments to me.

I like having Stevo on for cultural reasons. Ristevski I know nothing about but she seems very accomplished in her field and having a banker on board never hurts lolololol.

Last edited:
They seem like good appointments to me.

I like having Stevo on for cultural reasons. Ristevski I know nothing about but she seems very accomplished in her field and having a banker on baord never hurts lolololo.
My thoughts exactly.

Ristevski is a marketer which is vital for a club like ours who needs to sell themselves. She also has those top end of town connections that are always useful. Stevo, as you say, is a cultural touchstone which is important for the purpose of keeping one eye on the past.

Yep. Don't cry foul if you don't seek recourse.

Come on now GK.

We all speculate that Caroline Wilson and Damian Barrett are bottom feeding (double meaning right there) parasites. Glenn has concurred with that position.

Do you really think because he doesn't want to divert huge chunks of his and his families savings and time into a legal pursuit of these ass-hats, it denies him the right to complain about it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back