Player Watch #46: Ben Miller

Remove this Banner Ad

Think you might be surprised by Biggie next year, he looks physically not far away right now, and his athletic ability is through the roof, so you don't want him too big. Would love to see Miller settle into full back and Biggy at CHB. Imagine a 'potential' spine going forward of Miller, Biggy, Balta and Lynch.
I really disagree on the Biggie comment, physically he still looks a long way off. Here’s a VFL photo from him the season.
D0B143A7-5204-44BC-B0A4-16F6FE2ADAC6.jpeg

I certainly believe in Biggies talent, ability and athletic traits. I do however think he could be a four to five year project. Someone like Biggie has been a real victim of Covid, it’s not often spoken about but with such a lack of VFL football regularly being played it’s made it very hard for some players development. He’s of course had some injury concerns along the way but Biggie has only played six VFL games throughout his two seasons on our list, I’m sure that doesn’t stop his development but I do think it could require some additional time, especially for the young talls.

My apologies for a post based around Nyuon on Miller’s thread but I wanted to use it to show why we have to keep Miller on the list. I really don’t see Biggie being up to regular senior football next year, regardless of going into any debate on whether or not Garth gets a gig next year even if he does I think he’s more of a Grimes/Broad third tall rather than a Astbury/Balta type who can play on the monsters and hold down FB.

I really think Miller should hold his head very high following his debut, he didn’t put a foot wrong. I am willing to acknowledge he’s still far from proven of course, but I do think it’s very important we often him a spot on the list for next season. Finding a really good, long term Astbury replacement is vital. We need to have a future ten year partner for Balta.

I really disagree on the Biggie comment, physically he still looks a long way off. Here’s a VFL photo from him the season.
View attachment 1213594

I certainly believe in Biggies talent, ability and athletic traits. I do however think he could be a four to five year project. Someone like Biggie has been a real victim of Covid, it’s not often spoken about but with such a lack of VFL football regularly being played it’s made it very hard for some players development. He’s of course had some injury concerns along the way but Biggie has only played six VFL games throughout his two seasons on our list, I’m sure that doesn’t stop his development but I do think it could require some additional time, especially for the young talls.

My apologies for a post based around Nyuon on Miller’s thread but I wanted to use it to show why we have to keep Miller on the list. I really don’t see Biggie being up to regular senior football next year, regardless of going into any debate on whether or not Garth gets a gig next year even if he does I think he’s more of a Grimes/Broad third tall rather than a Astbury/Balta type who can play on the monsters and hold down FB.

I really think Miller should hold his head very high following his debut, he didn’t put a foot wrong. I am willing to acknowledge he’s still far from proven of course, but I do think it’s very important we often him a spot on the list for next season. Finding a really good, long term Astbury replacement is vital. We need to have a future ten year partner for Balta.
Yes he is a fair way off in some respects. Physically no, after another preseason he will be a big lad. He has a good frame and even that pic above he looks pretty strong. Plenty of 18, 19 year olds come on very quickly. Harris Andrew, Weiterman, Lever were all good players at young ages. Balta. We are a bit used to Sudanese boys coming on a bit later because of the lack of football background, but I don't think that necessarily applies to him. We will see, but I think he will surprise next year.

Yes he is a fair way off in some respects. Physically no, after another preseason he will be a big lad. He has a good frame and even that pic above he looks pretty strong. Plenty of 18, 19 year olds come on very quickly. Harris Andrew, Weiterman, Lever were all good players at young ages. Balta. We are a bit used to Sudanese boys coming on a bit later because of the lack of football background, but I don't think that necessarily applies to him. We will see, but I think he will surprise next year.
yeah biggy doesn't need to be the big rig type since we have balta and miller to take that type, he just needs to be the 3rd tall/interceptor type that can play tall and small, so putting on a lot of size isn't too necessary to replace grimes/broad when injured. just needs good pace and his jumping ability

yeah biggy doesn't need to be the big rig type since we have balta and miller to take that type, he just needs to be the 3rd tall/interceptor type that can play tall and small, so putting on a lot of size isn't too necessary to replace grimes/broad when injured. just needs good pace and his jumping ability
I see Biggy playing the Grimes position in 2-3 years time , He has amazing athleticism fantastic speed and a great leap and can read the play

Just a bit of comparison regarding height weight
Dylan Grimes - 194cm 91kgs
Aliir Aliir - 194cm 96kgs
Bigoa Nyuon -198cm 92kgs

He will put on 5kgs this off season easily

I see Biggy playing the Grimes position in 2-3 years time , He has amazing athleticism fantastic speed and a great leap and can read the play

Just a bit of comparison regarding height weight
Dylan Grimes - 194cm 91kgs
Aliir Aliir - 194cm 96kgs
Bigoa Nyuon -198cm 92kgs

He will put on 5kgs this off season easily
I kind of torn to let Chol go. 200cm athletic players aren't easy to find. Look what Dimma did with Rioli this year to reinvent him. If Chol stays make him train with our backline in the preseason.

He has looked shocking when ever he has drifted into defence at times

Assuming Soldo is fit in 2022, then for team balance in 2022 I think it will be Soldo or Nank, Chol or CJ …. with Lynch and JRoo playing every week. With CJ showing enough ruck/fwd craft, I just can’t imagine they’ll play 3 of Soldo/Nank/Chol/CJ.

So I think the time is now to get a mid-late 2nd rounder for Chol. 200cm blokes capable of kicking 4 goals in a game and pinch hitting in the ruck - with good skills - don’t grow on trees.

Then our list management team can get to work on turning a few of our 2/3rd rounders into another top-10 pick to go with pick 7. We don’t need another 4-5 middling draftees from 20-50 who may or may not make it (Ross, RCD, Martyn, Ralphy, Dow etc…..). Drafting players the caliber of Balta and Bolton in the 20’s is the exception, not the norm. We have depth, it’s super elite talent we need badly to replace Edwards, Cotch, JRoo and ‘premium’ Dusty/Grimes/Prestia in the next 1-3 seasons.

We need to get 2 picks as high as we can and try to bring in elite talent. Add them to our current top-line or really talented u25’s in Bolton, Balta, Graham, Baker, Rioli, Stack, CJ….if we can’t rebound straight away in 2022 it sures up the future. With clubs needing points for academy selections or father-sons we can really get busy securing multiple top-10 picks.m, and still have a couple more in the top-50. Chol’s trade value won’t get higher than it is now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Assuming Soldo is fit in 2022, then for team balance in 2022 I think it will be Soldo or Nank, Chol or CJ …. with Lynch and JRoo playing every week. With CJ showing enough ruck/fwd craft, I just can’t imagine they’ll play 3 of Soldo/Nank/Chol/CJ.

So I think the time is now to get a mid-late 2nd rounder for Chol. 200cm blokes capable of kicking 4 goals in a game and pinch hitting in the ruck - with good skills - don’t grow on trees.

Then our list management team can get to work on turning a few of our 2/3rd rounders into another top-10 pick to go with pick 7. We don’t need another 4-5 middling draftees from 20-50 who may or may not make it (Ross, RCD, Martyn, Ralphy, Dow etc…..). Drafting players the caliber of Balta and Bolton in the 20’s is the exception, not the norm. We have depth, it’s super elite talent we need badly to replace Edwards, Cotch, JRoo and ‘premium’ Dusty/Grimes/Prestia in the next 1-3 seasons.

We need to get 2 picks as high as we can and try to bring in elite talent. Add them to our current top-line or really talented u25’s in Bolton, Balta, Graham, Baker, Rioli, Stack, CJ….if we can’t rebound straight away in 2022 it sures up the future. With clubs needing points for academy selections or father-sons we can really get busy securing multiple top-10 picks.m, and still have a couple more in the top-50. Chol’s trade value won’t get higher than it is now.

Except Chol is an unrestricted free agent and no one is going to trade a second round pick for him

I get the feeling RFC is trying to chase a unicorn.

I hope Ben makes it but players at 198cm are rare as hell. Harris Andrews is a freak and taller, Blicavs is a freak to.

Most players are 194cm to 195cm if not shorter as KPP's of significance.

Obviously what Ben lacks is IQ and hopefully that can improve. With Biggy as well at 198cm is RFC placing too much emphasis on the unicorn versus the typical shorter gun KPP's? I will take another Balta or Rance any day

Except Chol is an unrestricted free agent and no one is going to trade a second round pick for him

Oh, I didn’t realise that. Well, we get compensation. So at his age, if he gets a 3-year deal on decent coin that will get us a 3rd rounder at worst which is about pick 45. Not ideal but still decent value to bundle it with other picks to get another top-10 pick if we can.

I get the feeling RFC is trying to chase a unicorn.

I hope Ben makes it but players at 198cm are rare as hell. Harris Andrews is a freak and taller, Blicavs is a freak to.

Most players are 194cm to 195cm if not shorter as KPP's of significance.

Obviously what Ben lacks is IQ and hopefully that can improve. With Biggy as well at 198cm is RFC placing too much emphasis on the unicorn versus the typical shorter gun KPP's? I will take another Balta or Rance any day

We should chase Talia and give him 2-years. We are in the flag window for 2 more years whilst Dusty is near his peak. Let’s face facts, we are not winning a flag from 2024-2026 without Cotch, JRoo, Edwards (Astbury, Houli) or peak Dusty/Grimes/Prestia.

So why not chase a flag without giving up anything much for Talia? Then Talia goes end of 2023 along with a few other senior bodies and we re-load for 2024 and beyond with a senior core of:
Balta
Bolton
Graham
Baker
Short
CJ
Stack
Rioli
Soldo
Nank
Vlastuin
Ross/RCD/Dow/Ralphy/Mansell/Biggy/Ryan etc…. (who makes it who knows?)
*a selection of high end draft picks

Dusty is a once in a lifetime player …. we’ve got to have another crack whilst he’s in his prime. Talia costs us nothing much and won’t affect future planning. If Balta gets injured in 2022 we are completely stuffed, as Miller/Biggy need more time to develop.

Let’s not forget, Talia is an absolute gun. He’s not Hartigan or Frawley ….

We should chase Talia and give him 2-years. We are in the flag window for 2 more years whilst Dusty is near his peak. Let’s face facts, we are not winning a flag from 2024-2026 without Cotch, JRoo, Edwards (Astbury, Houli) or peak Dusty/Grimes/Prestia.

So why not chase a flag without giving up anything much for Talia? Then Talia goes end of 2023 along with a few other senior bodies and we re-load for 2024 and beyond with a senior core of:
Balta
Bolton
Graham
Baker
Short
CJ
Stack
Rioli
Soldo
Nank
Vlastuin

Dusty is a once in a lifetime player …. we’ve got to have another crack whilst he’s in his prime. Talia costs us nothing much and won’t affect future planning. If Balta gets injured in 2022 we are completely stuffed, as Miller/Biggy need more time to develop.

Agree, although it depends on medicals etc.. I think Tarrant could be another option

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gees go easy on the kids guys....if you’re going to have a crack at least do it to big pay senior players when they’re completely out of form. Aaaaaachewwwwlynch.

Draft points : Richmond’s pick 28, 40 and 44 = 1,468. If Dogs finish 5th, that is pick 14 which is 1,161 points. Dogs need points for Sam Darcy. So give them some extra points and swap those 3 x picks to get their pick 14. That gives us pick 7, 14, 16 and 26.

I can’t see us wanting to take many more than 4 picks anyway based on retirements and likely delistings. 4 top picks can set us up magnificently from 2024 onwards.

Balta
Bolton
Graham
Baker
Short
CJ
Stack
Rioli
Soldo
Nank
Vlastuin

There is a reason why Adelaide delisted Talia, he is not the player he was. He is slow and football is getting faster. If he was a gun still he would still be at Adelaide.

If we get Talia, then Miller goes back to being backup and is most likely going to look elsewhere. That is the problem with getting older players unless they have not lost their pace especially , i.e Geelong with Smith, there is very short term gain, but it takes away from a player who may turn out to be just what we are after. A tall, fast defensive back who has the attributes can play on the King Bros, etc. Ability, time will tell.

I would rather back Miller and Biggy to come on, go to the draft, it is not like we are going back to scratch, Grimes and Broad are still there to organise things.

There is a reason why Adelaide delisted Talia, he is not the player he was. He is slow and football is getting faster. If he was a gun still he would still be at Adelaide.

If we get Talia, then Miller goes back to being backup and is most likely going to look elsewhere. That is the problem with getting older players unless they have not lost their pace especially , i.e Geelong with Smith, there is very short term gain, but it takes away from a player who may turn out to be just what we are after. A tall, fast defensive mid who has the attributes can play on the King Bros, etc. Ability, time will tell.

I would rather back Miller and Biggy to come on, go to the draft, it is not like we are going back to scratch, Grimes and Broad are still there to organise things.

Lets get serious.

Smith was a lot better pick than Talia in terms of risk

Talia, dunno. The club knows best and there contacts including what they know in SA.

Listening to the game of Adelaide v North the commentators where talking up someone to replace Talia so I think part of it is moving on to the next generation,

Still clearly there are body issues with Talia. Will he even hold up? Club would know best and need to due due diligence as with other options.

Miller is not yet proven. Still young, but again club would have a better idea.

There has to be someone in the draft to get thats reasonably obvious, we can't keep speculating on highly prospective options that might do this and that. Patience is a virtue. It takes too long for development otherwise.

I still like CCJ and RCD as versatile support

If we get Talia, then Miller goes back to being backup and is most likely going to look elsewhere. That is the problem with getting older players unless they have not lost their pace especially , i.e Geelong with Smith, there is very short term gain, but it takes away from a player who may turn out to be just what we are after. A tall, fast defensive back who has the attributes can play on the King Bros, etc. Ability, time will tell.

lol we would be stupid to put all our chips into Miller off one game. We have one more shot at a flag next year and miller is a while off. I would roll the dice with Talia. Go to the Adelaide board, most are not happy he is leaving and it’s not because he is slow, they are just priorising their youth because clearly they are not in the window.

lol we would be stupid to put all our chips into Miller off one game. We have one more shot at a flag next year and miller is a while off. I would roll the dice with Talia. Go to the Adelaide board, most are not happy he is leaving and it’s not because he is slow, they are just priorising their youth because clearly they are not in the window.

Exactly. Talia has had injuries and is not going to play in Adelaide’s next flag, let alone their next finals series….it makes perfect sense for Adelaide to move past 30yo KPD’s. Of course we do due diligence, but Talia has never been quick, and neither was Astbury.

A KPD is not so much what they bring, it’s allowing Grimes and Vlastuin to zone off. Seriously, if Balta goes down next year what are our KPD stocks to play on Hawkins, Dixon etc….? A one-gamer in Miller, a zero gamer in Biggy or a clearly undersized Garthwaite who gets rag dolled by Taranto.

Talia doesn’t need to play 22-games, and he doesn’t even need to play every week ahead of Miller - but I believe we have a chance to contend next year, but not without another quality KPD.

If he doesn’t cost us draft picks … and we’ve got extra cash as Astbury was a surprise retirement… then where’s the risk ?

How do you know Miller is a while off. He will be 22 next year, and who knows what his upside is. He has the physical attributes that most don't have, so that is half way there. Can he play, who know, but he deserves a shot. Talia missed the whole season with knee and foot injuries, so that is not a good way to start as a recruit. He will be 30, the same as Astbury.

Go and get some backup sure, but not an injured 30 year old because when you recruit these established players they always get games before the young player do, often at the detriment of development.

I also don't agree with the one year scenario also. We need to throw a bit of caution to the wind and back our young players, because Jack, Cotch and Edwards are not going to be the players that make the difference next year, and we still have enough quality to back a 2-3 year revival.

You couldn't get rid of slug Astbury soon enough! Now you to replace him with Talia!! Unbelievable. Balta and Broad are both back. Biggie, Miller and Garth types are enough depth. Unless we have a Sam Taylor on the way. Draft a solid build young KPD

Last edited:
Draft points : Richmond’s pick 28, 40 and 44 = 1,468. If Dogs finish 5th, that is pick 14 which is 1,161 points. Dogs need points for Sam Darcy. So give them some extra points and swap those 3 x picks to get their pick 14. That gives us pick 7, 14, 16 and 26.

I can’t see us wanting to take many more than 4 picks anyway based on retirements and likely delistings. 4 top picks can set us up magnificently from 2024 onwards.
The theory on this works ok, but if Darcy is going to go at Pick 3 as expected, then that trade will probably still leave them around 300 points short and still push them back in the draft. So it will likely depend on if anyone else offers more.

Tarrant hates us... he's openly said beating us in a final is his fondest memory, they won a final the following week....
He's not coming to Richmond
LOL Whats a tarrant ?

A player thats played in a club that is a minnow of the league

no wonder his career highlight is beating a giant

he would have wet dreams about seeing himself wearing a richmond jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

Back