Preview Changes vs Western Bulldogs - GRAND FINAL - Saturday, 25 September, 7:15pm AEST - NO CHANGE

Remove this Banner Ad

We don't tag any backman, can't see us starting now, it's been a collective of pressure throughout and I'm fine with that.

If we didnt tag Daniel Rich we shouldn't tag Daniel.
We don't need to tag him but we do need to bury him into the turf at every opportunity.

I just hope we’re prepared to play brutal and if necessary some nasty footy in this GF. Hawthorn humiliated us in 1988 and Essendon manhandled us in 2000. In both games we were pathetic in the manner in which we succumbed to the intimidation.

It’s just a hard truth that in games like this you have to be prepared to cross the line at times and hurt blokes when there’s opportunity there to hurt them. If May sees an opening to smack Schache into next week he should do it. If Viney sees a chance to sling Treloar into the ground he should take it. Others should follow suit where they see or perceive a weakness in their Dogs opponents.

Play our natural game, yes. But don’t be under any illusions about the do or die nature of this GF. Only accept winning and do it any bloody way you can.

Last edited:
He floats up as the high half forward a fair bit.
Don't think pigs got the tank to go with him and he's not a threat in the air or one on one like Dusty. Think you just let whoever take him don't need to specifically tag him

I just hope we’re prepared to play brutal and if necessary some nasty footy in this GF. Hawthorn humiliated us in 1988 and Essendon manhandled us in 2000. In both games we were pathetic in the manner in which we succumbed to the intimidation.

It’s just a hard truth that in games like this you have to be prepared to cross the line at times and hurt blokes when there’s opportunity there to hurt them. If May sees an opportunity to smack Schache into next week he should do it. If Viney sees a chance to sling Treloar into the ground he should take it. Others should follow suit where they see or perceive a weakness in their Dogs opponents.

Play our natural game, yes. But don’t be under any illusions about the do or die nature of this GF. Only accept winning and do it any bloody way you can.

We haven't really scrapped much this year at all - but I agree.

There was a pivotal moment in the Port game where Jonas could have sent JJ into next week in a marking contest but chose not to. JJ took the mark and didn't get hurt.

I hope May takes the opportunity to make a statement if a similar moment arises to dust off his classic hip and shoulder.

Reckon Hibbo goes to Smith like he did Dusty on ANZAC Eve.

Smith would run Hibbo into the ground. Langdon and ANB would be the only ones with the physical traits to go with Smith.

As good as Smith has been, the last two games are really out of the box for him - can he do it again? Sure. Will he though?

A wing/half-forward like Smith is reliant on the game turning out a certain way to get heavily involved. Other teams have taken Langdon out of the game by avoiding his wing when they attack and manning him up when they don't have the ball. Maybe Melbourne will do that with Smith if they think he's such a genuine threat.

I'd rather Melbourne start by backing Langdon to be more damaging than Smith, and adjust if Smith is doing too much damage.

I'd be much more worried about Liberatore and Bontempelli as you know they will get lots of looks at the ball.

There was a pivotal moment in the Port game where Jonas could have sent JJ into next week in a marking contest but chose not to. JJ took the mark and didn't get hurt.

I hope May takes the opportunity to make a statement if a similar moment arises to dust off his classic hip and shoulder.

In 1990 I remember going to watch the Pies v Bombers GF as a neutral observer. It was so noticeable the way guys like Dennis Banks, Christian, Kelly, Gayfer and Millane brutally treated their opponents. Off the ball as well as on it. It was actually hard to watch as it bordered on assault at times.

But that’s the attitude they took into the game. “We’re not going to lose this and we’re prepared to cross the line to make that happen”.

I remember a line from Don Scott (himself a pretty hard bastard and winner of multiple flags) when he was commentating the 1989 GF between Geelong and Hawthorn. Dipper had just lined up Garry Hocking and caught him with a frightful elbow that clean nearly took his head of his shoulders. Scott simply said “you play for keeps in a Grand Final”.

The two weeks off before the GF is new territory not just for the supporters and players but also the poor little media.
They'll be going out of their minds by Monday next week with yet another 5 days to fill copy.
What are they going to talk about for 14 days that will sell papers or hold up tv ratings? They must be running out of old demon premiership players from the fifties.
Bulldogs even fewer.

I think soon they'll start talking about Carlton and Collingwood's 2022 season.
There is enough garbage there to keep them going till around Sept 21..

Our tackling technique and execution was near perfect against the Cats - stuck so many big tackles and barely gave any frees away.

It will need to be even better against the nippy Dogs who are quick to pounce on the footy and draw free kicks.

Port were absolutely nowhere against the Dogs all night - they pretty much strolled around as they pleased. If we bring the heat early, I think we can get a jump on the Dogs and get their mids on the back foot.

The big thing I remember off our win against them is our boys were specifically instructed to stick their one on one tackles. Trust the tackler and don’t allow the Dogs to burst with numbers. It worked then, will it now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we must be careful with our tackling. A very slippery bunch of players that love drawing a high tackle. Also, try to force Bont into handballs. He also goes long by foot which is dangerous with Naughton up there. Weightman grinds my gears with his staging but he is a great player. We need our best accountable defender on him and to me that MUST be Hibberd.

Why would we not want them to kick long? We’ve defended dump kicks inside our D50 better than anyone this year.

Our tackling technique and execution was near perfect against the Cats - stuck so many big tackles and barely gave any frees away.

It will need to be even better against the nippy Dogs who are quick to pounce on the footy and draw free kicks.

Port were absolutely nowhere against the Dogs all night - they pretty much strolled around as they pleased. If we bring the heat early, I think we can get a jump on the Dogs and get their mids on the back foot.

Fully agree on the quality of our tackling. It’s become a genuine skill of the game now to tackle without giving a free kick away and conversely using your body to draw a free kick. We were excellent and very composed in this area of the game on Friday night. It makes a huge difference not coughing up cheap frees over four quarters. In a tight game it could literally mean the difference between winning and losing.

Angus or Sparrow can't keep up with Bailey Smith. Neither have the running power or speed. I can't think of anyone that can go with him.
The thing with Smith is that he looks great when the WB go forward. I wonder how many times he has looked great going the other way? Langdon is the perfect option on the outside. Make the guy work from the middle to their backline. Try that on for 2-3 quarters and he isn’t going to have a lot of impact.

Langdon is the obvious one who does have the endurance and speed to go with Smith. Hunt doesn’t have the endurance and 95% won’t be in the team anyway.

But I think Melbourne will just do their own thing and only if Smith is off the leash bother with changing what Melbourne want to do.

I’d expect Viney and Harmes to tag-team Liberatore in the same style as round 11. Then let the others go head to head and back in Oliver and Petracca against Bontempelli and McRae, with Langdon and Brayshaw starting defensive side of clearances and keeping an eye on Smith rather than running with him.

I’ve got a left field one. If they send a hard tag to Lever, Lever goes to a tall Dogs forward and swap with either May or Petty to play the loose interceptor role instead. Each of May and Petty are not as good at the role as Lever, but they are both very capable as that third man up.
It won’t matter if we win the middle. Naughton looked good because the dogs midfield went forward unopposed. Schache can run around on Lever but he can’t stop him when the ball isn’t there by holding him.

It’s obvious they go through Naughton. Petty or May can peel off and get some physical heat on Schache. You only need one defender up with Naughton and the other can allow Lever to fly. If English goes down then Max can get defensive as well which means we have him to contest.

Steve May v Stefan Martin round 2?

(please don't, I still have a soft spot for the SME)

It’s just a hard truth that in games like this you have to be prepared to cross the line at times and hurt blokes when there’s opportunity there to hurt them. If May sees an opening to smack Schache into next week he should do it. If Viney sees a chance to sling Treloar into the ground he should take it. Others should follow suit where they see or perceive a weakness in their Dogs opponents.

Who do you think is a 'natural' to cross the line?

Reckon Hibbo goes to Smith like he did Dusty on ANZAC Eve.
Zero chance. Smith is a running machine. ANB will get first crack probably. Langdon next in line. Both probably the only two that can go with him. I'd throw Hibberd onto Hannan. Looked dangerous against Port. Can play taller like Hibberd. I think that would most likely be the matchup, unless we put Riv on him. I think we have to concentrate on their mids kicking goals. Bont, Smith, Treloar, Dunkley can all hit the scoreboard regularly. If we can shut their mids offensive game down we win this match..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back