Review DOGS INTO THE GRAND FINAL FEEEEKYEAAAAH!

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a dream Weightman & Naughton got kicked out of Perth before the Granny.

I need to get a life & some bigger dreams clearly.
Enjoi ur ban

2016:
Bulldogs lose final Home and Away game of season before winning Elimination Final by eight goals.

Bulldogs are +9.5 point underdogs in their Semi Final. They are 11 points behind at quarter time. Jack Macrae has 39 disposals. Bulldogs win.

Geelong lose Preliminary Final on Friday night. Smith kicks opening goal, including four goals for the match. Bulldogs win on the road as underdogs.

Bulldogs play minor premier in Grand Final.

2021:
Bulldogs lose final Home and Away game of season before winning Elimination Final by eight goals.

Bulldogs are +9.5 point underdogs in their Semi Final. They are 11 points behind at quarter time. Jack Macrae has 39 disposals. Bulldogs win.

Geelong lose Preliminary Final on Friday night. Smith kicks opening goal, including four goals for the match. Bulldogs win on the road as underdogs.

Bulldogs play minor premier in Grand Final.

Bulldogs reverse South Australian Finals curse:

1998:

The fifth placed Crows demolish the second placed Dogs to go through to the Grand Final against the minor premiers.

2021:
The fifth placed Doggies demolish the second placed Power to go through to the Grand Final against the minor premiers.

1997, 1998, 2016, 2021:
The Bulldogs have played four interstate teams in Preliminary Finals. On all four occasions, the away team won.

1997: Adelaide win away Preliminary Final and defeat minor premier in Grand Final.
1998: Adelaide win away Preliminary Final and defeat minor premier in Grand Final.
2016: Bulldogs win away Preliminary Final and defeat minor premier in Grand Final.
2021: Bulldogs win away Preliminary Final and ????
Spooky. I might have to borrow this

I was absolutely terrified before our elimination final. That was probably to do with a lot of my close mates supporting Essendon.

I’ve been very very calm in the lead up to the past 2 finals. Of course I’m nervous once the ball is bounced but nothing in the lead up. I feel the same about the grand final.

Same. Just had to get past that elimination final that has stopped us last 2 years. We don’t lose many semis historically ( usually when losing first week though ) and this team have broken the prelim curse. Losing before finals is almost good for us too as we are not historically known for long winning streaks. 4 in a row is our sweet spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont expect the midfield battle to be decisive in this game. I feel like our ability to be dangerous and functional ahead of the ball will determine if we can kick a winning score or not.

Lever and May will be similar to Allir except there are two of them. May will be somewhere near naughton at all times. Naughton is the competitions best flyer by a mile, but he can be outbodied by more experienced opponents. Altho maybe he is learning that in a body situation, it doesnt have to be a 100% mark or nothing. Bringing the ball to ground is still a great outcome. In too many of his poorer games , we see him running under the ball trying to get seperation, or being pushed off and allowing his opponent to take a standing grab. This juggling thing could be a sign of him being prepared to just stand under the ball and make sure nobody marks it, when he has to.

Lever likes to have no pressure on him - with opposition threats in front of him, and just sit behind and read the play, either coming over the top or slipping to the front. Schaches job will be to play goal side of him, as the commentators said about allir - forcing him to look over his shoulder - and be further away from the hot spot than he likes to be. they cant let Shack take uncontested marks from anywhere - he is too smart and too good a kick to be allowed a long leash.

On the flip side, they will have Gawn running forward at every opportunity, and sideshow bob is their forward who isnt a world beater but also cant be ignored. I actually fear sideshow kicking accurately and getting 4 goals or something. Maybe Im still scarred from when we were sh*t and losing to north sides. That cant be allowed. I think Keath has mcdonalds measure, but I also worry that Gawn will leave Martin behind and take some marks forward. Perhaps play weightman as a hard tag on gawn to curb his aerial influence....
I agree with most of this. But i think Gardner will go to McDonald and Keath to Brown

I feel confident about this match. Maybe it’s misplaced confidence, but hear me out:

2. Martin didn’t play in either of the matches against the Dees. Yes, Gawn is in incredible form. However, we just need Martin has proven to be a solid negating type of ruck. We just need to be aware of Gawn when he drifts forward.

Was only a practice match but Martin and English did “control” Gawn in our preseason match before Round 1 which we won comfortably. In an interview this week, Gawn ( one of only 3 Demons who played with Stef at Melbourne) referred to him as the strongest player he’s ever faced. He’s much older now and Gawn Far better but interesting he still spoke glowingly of Martin’s strength. Still the key to us winning I reckon, especially after that Gawn performance on Friday night.

Was only a practice match but Martin and English did “control” Gawn in our preseason match before Round 1 which we won comfortably. In an interview this week, Gawn ( one of only 3 Demons who played with Stef at Melbourne) referred to him as the strongest player he’s ever faced. He’s much older now and Gawn Far better but interesting he still spoke glowingly of Martin’s strength. Still the key to us winning I reckon, especially after that Gawn performance on Friday night.

You have to remember that Geelong don’t have a dominant ruck, it’s been a problem for them for years, apart from being old and slow 😏

I agree with most of this. But i think Gardner will go to McDonald and Keath to Brown
I think we'll structure in a manner independant of the opposition, with Keath the deppest tall back, Gardner the higher back (close to what a FB/CHB once were), with Williams and Wood the designated interceptors and Duryea/Dale the designated smalls on each line.

I suspect Daniel will roll back at times. Jackson may find himself with the mismatch at times so it's imperative we try and slow down their ball movement and roll our 'tall' midfielders back to help out the defence.

If we didn't have a bunch of taller mids I don't think we could get away with playing only two tall defenders.

You have to remember that Geelong don’t have a dominant ruck, it’s been a problem for them for years, apart from being old and slow

True. I did comment in a message to a Geelong friend on Friday that Stanley was not very good. He told me Rhys could bench press 170 kg. I replied that weights are inanimate objects that don’t play football - much like Rhys Stanley.

Others in the message thread were amused

True. I did comment in a message to a Geelong friend on Friday that Stanley was not very good. He told me Rhys could bench press 170 kg. I replied that weights are inanimate objects that don’t play football - much like Rhys Stanley.

Others in the message thread were amused

1631591705661.png

I feel confident about this match. Maybe it’s misplaced confidence, but hear me out:

1. We didn’t have Treloar and Dunkley in either match against Melbourne this year. They can plan all they want, but the fact is, they haven’t played against our full strength midfield in 2021. We have played against their full strength team twice.

2. Martin didn’t play in either of the matches against the Dees. Yes, Gawn is in incredible form. However, we just need Martin has proven to be a solid negating type of ruck. We just need to be aware of Gawn when he drifts forward.

3. Realising what could hurt us: Putting Schache on Allir, Dunks tagging Parish/Neale/Wines (?), bringing in Young and then Martin to help English.. the list goes on. Bevo used to let midfielders get off the chain, let the intercept defenders take marks time and time again. Something seems to have changed.

4. Our best players are available: Yes, I know Bruce/Toby are out. However we have a solid nucleus of stars fit and healthy aside from some niggles.

5. Bevo getting back to his storytelling best: We are a hugely emotional team. We saw this after Bruce went down. We saw it after each win on the road. If any team can counteract the Melbourne desire, hunger and emotion, it’s us. Seeing some of Bevo’s speeches recently have given me chills down my spine. Amazing stuff.

Like we did against Port, the key is a good start to take the emotion away from the opposition. If we are ahead or level at quarter time, we’ll win 🏆

I think we're in with a good chance too. Bit of a coin flip by my reckoning. That first game we played them was odd with all the turnovers out of the backline unpressured. 2nd game really could have gone either way with accurate kicking the winner.

Should be a cracker. I can't see either side folding.

jj to be living in salems pocket

This obviously means something different here than in the UK.

If a player was living in someone’s pocket it meant they were being marked out of the game. My worst call on this was before a Man Utd v Arsenal game when I suggested C.Ronaldo would be living in Ashley Cole’s pocket. That did not transpire to be the case….

Anyway, if JJ was in Salem’s pocket I’d interpret that as Salem was all over him and winning their battle. Presumably I’m wrong?

This obviously means something different here than in the UK.

If a player was living in someone’s pocket it meant they were being marked out of the game. My worst call on this was before a Man Utd v Arsenal game when I suggested C.Ronaldo would be living in Ashley Cole’s pocket. That did not transpire to be the case….

Anyway, if JJ was in Salem’s pocket I’d interpret that as Salem was all over him and winning their battle. Presumably I’m wrong?
I use the term the same way you do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like our chances against Melbourne. They would have been the team I wanted to play out of the top 4 in a Grand Final before the finals commenced. They don’t have the gorilla forwards that have historically challenged us. Our major weakness this year is our key backs however we match up okay in this regard. If Stef can nullify Gawn to an extent, our mids are superior. We run both ways in the middle, I think Melbourne are used to silver service from Gawn. Naughton is in rare form and I think May will still be hampered from his hammy. Feeling optimistic boys.

My life would pretty much be complete if this happens.

Seeing 2 flags (2 more than I thought I'd ever see), with the 2nd cup presented by my all time favourite player would just be the ultimate.
The savior (if not literally at least symbolically) of our football club presenting our second cup in 6 years.
That would be perfect.

All these number plates have been taken.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210914-184044.jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-184044.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 138
  • Screenshot_20210914-184313.jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-184313.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Screenshot_20210914-184418.jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-184418.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 126
Remember those concerns early in the year that we're a team that doesn't cope in a COVID environment? Or a few weeks ago where Bev's down demeanour because of COVID was negatively affecting the players? Here we are on the cusp of claiming the Premiership on the back of four games in four different states, spending most of that time in quarantine. I could not be in any more awe or be any more proud of this team!

Remember those concerns early in the year that we're a team that doesn't cope in a COVID environment? Or a few weeks ago where Bev's down demeanour because of COVID was negatively affecting the players? Here we are on the cusp of claiming the Premiership on the back of four games in four different states, spending most of that time in quarantine. I could not be in any more awe or be any more proud of this team!
Well said. Go dogs!

Wow 21/22 is next level getting ahead of things!!
Speaking of getting ahead of things, I reckon we will stick it up Garry Lyon. We'll win by 83 pts and Hannan will kick 11 goals. This will better the effort of the Demons' 82-point win over us in the 1994 Semi Final when Lyon kicked ten.

Lyon remains the last player to kick ten goals in a final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back