Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jones was two preseasons in? Cox after another preseason isn't inconceivable. Jones seemed to have been coached to take marks coming in from the side where possible to avoid the crunch.
I agree though, 2021 Cox is too slight. I think we've got choices for the role already is all, and I've cooled on chasing King.
Jones isn’t taking the #1 defender though. He’s been about 3rd, or even 4th after Stringer.

Cox would effectively replace Wright or Hooker when he’s beefed up a bit, atm you would probably have to play him instead of Jones.

Would be nice if Cox can do a Naughton and become a key forward

I think eventually and not that far away he becomes a defender but it will be interesting how him and Ridley work together if thats that's case

It appears we'll be in for a relatively modest trade period which, whilst it doesn't satisfy the itch to bring in players, is probably the right thing to do.

There's a stack of talent on the list in the right age demographic, and pleasingly, our players 28+ are either not vital cogs in the side, or we have obvious stocks to replace them.

I'd probably be keen to explore cheap options for mid/forwards (in the mold of Zaharakis), and small forwards (Rosas we were apparently keen on), but don't think I'd be willing to part with a great deal of currency to fill either need.

I think hit the draft, and smart handling of our '22 resources (due to incoming F/S prospects) is probably the way to go.

It appears we'll be in for a relatively modest trade period which, whilst it doesn't satisfy the itch to bring in players, is probably the right thing to do.

There's a stack of talent on the list in the right age demographic, and pleasingly, our players 28+ are either not vital cogs in the side, or we have obvious stocks to replace them.

I'd probably be keen to explore cheap options for mid/forwards (in the mold of Zaharakis), and small forwards (Rosas we were apparently keen on), but don't think I'd be willing to part with a great deal of currency to fill either need.

I think hit the draft, and smart handling of our '22 resources (due to incoming F/S prospects) is probably the way to go.
Whos the obvious replacement for Heppell in your opinion?

From here I'd like us to get Conor back and then obviously we will do something with our 3rd rounders that will benefit teams like Dogs, GWS, Saints, Port, Pies or Freo with regards to points as I reckon our next pick will end up coming into around 60 maybe inside it anyway

The small forwards seem our area of greatest need and It's looking harder and harder to fix that solution with mature types. Plus Devon Smith is in that area of the ground and we don't have a replacement for him. The daveys might help that area but still feel we need something else and the club appears to be of that thinking aswell

From here I'd like us to get Conor back and then obviously we will do something with our 3rd rounders that will benefit teams like Dogs, GWS, Saints, Port, Pies or Freo with regards to points as I reckon our next pick will end up coming into around 60 maybe inside it anyway

The small forwards seem our area of greatest need and It's looking harder and harder to fix that solution with mature types. Plus Devon Smith is in that area of the ground and we don't have a replacement for him. The daveys might help that area but still feel we need something else and the club appears to be of that thinking aswell

Honestly? McGrath.

Ive always suspected you are the real Adrian Dodoro. So because of this....

Ridley?

Stewart - Laverde - Kelly - Redman - Hind with Reid still to come, Ridley could potentially be that Heppell type 7th defender roaming around a bit more.

Ridley?

Stewart - Laverde - Kelly - Redman - Hind with Reid still to come, Ridley could potentially be that Heppell type 7th defender roaming around a bit more.

Yeah that’s the way I see it too. Heppell has been excellent in his role but as he ages Ridley will be an upgrade as he’s a much more flexible player.

Right now Heppell has to take the oppositions worst forward/forward that pushes into the midfield which means we can’t rotate his role easily.

Ridley?

Yeh be interesting to see if Ruttens prepared to go that big, but yeh if a forward comes on then Francis an option aswell to be a bit smaller

Hopefully Heppells got another 3 years but he seems to find ways to break by putting himself in courageous spots

Yeah that’s the way I see it too. Heppell has been excellent in his role but as he ages Ridley will be an upgrade as he’s a much more flexible player.

Right now Heppell has to take the oppositions worst forward/forward that pushes into the midfield which means we can’t rotate his role easily.
amazing what teams give up for 'leadership'. i'm not saying it's the wrong call, but when kelly comes in and takes the best forward (obviously outside of the big power talls), frees up ridley to rebound, redman to run, what are we getting from heppell? i think he'll become a selection headache sooner rather than later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

amazing what teams give up for 'leadership'. i'm not saying it's the wrong call, but when kelly comes in and takes the best forward (obviously outside of the big power talls), frees up ridley to rebound, redman to run, what are we getting from heppell? i think he'll become a selection headache sooner rather than later.

I had this thinking going into this year but Heppell had a great year and I can’t see the coaching staff squeezing him out.

Would be interested to see if Ridley is capable of dominating games in Heppell’s position or if Redman could get more opportunity to cut sides up with his disposal.

I think when you look at the clearance / stoppage stats and the over all contested footy stats they show that the midfield group can win the footy. I think we have been burnt in contested footy because we have been putting games into the younger blokes / inexperienced players. While the likes of Durham , Perkins and Cox have been showing a lot they did get burnt on the contested front. Add to that Ham and a few others.
Things may not be as bad on that front with McGrath and Shiel playing all year. McGrath is pretty clean at ground level in a contest and while Shiel is not a beast he wins his share of contested ball when he is at his best.
Caldwell will help as well if he stays fit and you would expect Perkins and Cox will be better with another summer.
First round pick could be used on a number of options but it does not have to be bull inside midfielder. If anything I would be looking at run and spread as a higher priority early with a work horse a bit later.

I think when you look at the clearance / stoppage stats and the over all contested footy stats they show that the midfield group can win the footy. I think we have been burnt in contested footy because we have been putting games into the younger blokes / inexperienced players. While the likes of Durham , Perkins and Cox have been showing a lot they did get burnt on the contested front. Add to that Ham and a few others.
Things may not be as bad on that front with McGrath and Shiel playing all year. McGrath is pretty clean at ground level in a contest and while Shiel is not a beast he wins his share of contested ball when he is at his best.
Caldwell will help as well if he stays fit and you would expect Perkins and Cox will be better with another summer.
First round pick could be used on a number of options but it does not have to be bull inside midfielder. If anything I would be looking at run and spread as a higher priority early with a work horse a bit later.

The work horse as you eloquently put it, is more often than not, struck gold later in the draft. Would absolutely love to hit one late too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we sign Luke Dunstan, then I don't think we have any need for a big bodied mid. Perkins should be the player we develop into that role.

I'd prefer looking at drafting a mid/winger with elite decision making/footskills.

If we sign Luke Dunstan, then I don't think we have any need for a big bodied mid. Perkins should be the player we develop into that role.

I'd prefer looking at drafting a mid/winger with elite decision making/footskills.

Perkins will not be that player IMO. He is tall and he will be a decent size but Archie is more of an X factor . I see him playing wing / half forward and not the inside bull some seem to think he is going to be.
Agree on the draft theory. Would not mind a taller winger / more outside midfielder with good skills.

Perkins will not be that player IMO. He is tall and he will be a decent size but Archie is more of an X factor . I see him playing wing / half forward and not the inside bull some seem to think he is going to be.
Agree on the draft theory. Would not mind a taller winger / more outside midfielder with good skills.
He missed out on his draft year having the oppurtunity to play full time mid, which he was earmarked for. Eventually with us, after a few pre seasons he will be an option in the centre square.

He missed out on his draft year having the oppurtunity to play full time mid, which he was earmarked for. Eventually with us, after a few pre seasons he will be an option in the centre square.

Agreed, thought he was our best player in the slop up in Brisbane. Shame they didn't roll him through there in the final as the few times he got it was at the bottom of a pack with clean handling.

Even the coaches seem to think he'll eventually be a mid/forward given they've lined him up on players like Neale. Has the tools.

Agree that he’s unlikely to be that inside bull people are hoping for but given he’s already been attending centre bounces I suspect he’ll end up a midfielder.

Even the coaches seem to think he'll eventually be a mid/forward given they've lined him up on players like Neale. Has the tools.
He will play some midfield but he is not the big midfield bull .

He will play some midfield but he is not the big midfield bull .
How many will he attend with McGrath , Caldwell and Shiel fit along with Langford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back