Coach Clarkson has left the building

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats a lot of excuses. So why didnt Sam get told to go to Collingwood?

Clarko coaches 2022 as per his contract. During 2022 Hawks perform a proper coach search. Something they havent done in 18 years so probably need to do right.

Of course they got spooked. Otherwise why the stupid transition plan which lasted all of 3 weeks once Mitchell decided he should get his way 14 months before he was actually coach ? And why would the young players be given so much power in being able to complain?

Lyon was right when he said they should have been ignored and the senior players consulted. It was a balls up and Clarko had every right to do what he did. The club was happy to undermine him, to let Mitchell undermine him and let the young players undermine him. It was a disgraceful way to treat him.

He should have just been let go and paid out and all the fuss and embarrassment avoided. Kennett screwed up royally.
I actually liked the fact that the younger players were listened to rather than just senior players consulted.

They're the ones that we're backing in to challenge for flags.

There's a point with sports teams where the senior players aren't at the epicentre any more, rather they move to the periphery.

It can't be any other way.

On SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I actually liked the fact that the younger players were listened to rather than just senior players consulted.

They're the ones that we're backing in to challenge for flags.

There's a point with sports teams where the senior players aren't at the epicentre any more, rather they move to the periphery.

It can't be any other way.

On SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wonder if Greaves was one of them.

What would it matter, if he was/wasn't?

I would be more inclined to listen to the opinion of senior people who have given years to the club rather than young/fringe players.

We know BigBoy and Gunston were unhappy. Sounds like Mitchell isnt happy. Wingard clearly loved Clarko.

But hey, we lend weight to guys with a handful of games...

We've rehashed this conversation so many times that the story itself is lost in the hyperbole.

I haven't read every word in this thread, but I suspect this is on the money.

I don't know the ins and outs of what went on behind the scenes - conversations, assurances, agreements, whatever ... and I'm not sure anybody does outside of the key players.

What I can say for a fact, is that when this transition idea was floated, I thought it was fanciful and said as much, as did many others.
I also thought it would be awesome if they could all make it work till the end of 2022, but I expected it to fail.
For any proud, driven coach, co-coaching was always likely to end up tasting like a s**t-sandwich - not to mention the practical difficulties of making list management decisions and the like.
My only surprise was that it imploded so quickly (I suspect due to the crap relationship between Clarko and Jeff/Justin, and maybe the fact that Sam is no shrinking violet).

It was a s**t idea that was always likely to fail. Rather than appointing blame for not making a s**t idea work, I'm just happy the 'transition' got killed quickly and we have the certainty we need going into the trade period.

So Clarko be praised as far as I'm concerned. But the king is dead, long live the king!

download11.jpe

I would be more inclined to listen to the opinion of senior people who have given years to the club rather than young/fringe players.

We know BigBoy and Gunston were unhappy. Sounds like Mitchell isnt happy. Wingard clearly loved Clarko.

Again, not only have you assumed the responsibilities that would have been shared between Clarko and Mitchell, you've know assumed that 4 senior players were unhappy when only one had any level of report about feeling that way. Even if all were unhappy with the transition in the way you're making out, they're four players in a list of many, none of whom have longer than 5 odd years left in their career. I'd rather the club place more weight on the opinion of those that have their entire career to think about.

After weeks of your posts on this topic, I still don't understand how you overlook that we had a s**t plan that our players couldn't implement - we had s**t results & were playing s**t football.

It astounds me as to how you value more of the same (that was clearly horrible) over some wanting change, which showed immediate merit late in the season.

Again, not only have you assumed the responsibilities that would have been shared between Clarko and Mitchell, you've know assumed that 4 senior players were unhappy when only one had any level of report about feeling that way. Even if all were unhappy with the transition in the way you're making out, they're four players in a list of many, none of whom have longer than 5 odd years left in their career. I'd rather the club place more weight on the opinion of those that have their entire career to think about.

How many young players make it to 5 years at a team.

After weeks of your posts on this topic, I still don't understand how you overlook that we had a sh*t plan that our players couldn't implement - we had sh*t results & were playing sh*t football.

It astounds me as to how you value more of the same (that was clearly horrible) over some wanting change, which showed immediate merit late in the season.

Clarko was doing exactly the same as 2005. He expected the players to build to his game plan rather than compromising. Because he had faith in the plan and faith in the players getting there.

How did that work out ?

He was questioned by basically everyone other than Dunstall back then too.

Clarko was doing exactly the same as 2005. He expected the players to build to his game plan rather than compromising. Because he had faith in the plan and faith in the players getting there.

How did that work out ?

He was questioned by basically everyone other than Dunstall back then too.
In 2005, he hadn't had 4 out of 5 years of questionable (at best, s**t to be more accurate) decisions & results trending against the team (and subsequently, him). By 2021, he wasn't just an on-field entity & new coach with time to prove himself; he was now heavily influencing list management as well...

I can tell you how the above worked out - it cost him a contract extension & when posed with an imperfect scenario, he decided to walk away from his (revised) job.

How many young players make it to 5 years at a team.

I did say "when only one had any level of report about feeling that way" - meaning Jack Gunston. The rest you've just pulled from assumption, with McEvoy even calling him "pigheaded and stubborn to a fault" in the tribute video, which doesn't seem like a bloke who was overtly unhappy with Clarko leaving.

The point on Mitchell is redundant too because he was even more heavily flagged as leaving mid season when Clarko was guaranteed in charge, and now the reports to Carlton are probably on the back of having a close mentor and family relationship with diesel. Nothing to do with the change in coach. In fact word on Mitchell calmed down after the change.

I did say "when only one had any level of report about feeling that way" - meaning Jack Gunston. The rest you've just pulled from assumption, with McEvoy even calling him "pigheaded and stubborn to a fault" in the tribute video, which doesn't seem like a bloke who was overtly unhappy with Clarko leaving.

The point on Mitchell is redundant too because he was even more heavily flagged as leaving mid season when Clarko was guaranteed in charge, and now the reports to Carlton are probably on the back of having a close mentor and family relationship with diesel. Nothing to do with the change in coach. In fact word on Mitchell calmed down after the change.
Mitchell was out the door if Clarko was still coach. Might still be out the door.

*edited removed erroneous statement

Last edited:
Mitchell was out the door if Clarko was still coach. Might still be out the door but I don’t he’d be thinking bad of Clarko leaving when he really didn’t get along with him.
Let’s not run with that they didn’t get along.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've rehashed this conversation so many times that the story itself is lost in the hyperbole.

The club did NOT refuse to honour his contract, he was still going to be head coach until the end of next year under the proposed succession plan. Regardless of what you think of the succession plan, that's the way it was going to work out - and that was a decision driven by the fact that Buckley sh*t the bed and was removed from his role sooner than anyone would have expected. Clarko's contract was up in 2022, and all likelihood never going to be extended beyond that.
As has been reported everywhere, the club wanted him gone, they didn't want him next year, and made it untenable for him to see out the contract. We wanted Sam next year, we didn't want Clarko and we wanted to do everything we could to avoid paying him out. That's why we had 3 and a half weeks of leaks and an absolute media cluster* when we should have looked him in the eye on day one, shook his hand and sent him with his cheque. Still an awful way to see off our greatest modern coach, but respectful.

What's done is done, and you're right, this conversation is getting rehashed ad nauseam, but the club line on what happened isn't the truth.

Clarko won’t coach next year. He needed a break. It all makes sense now.
clarko could not commit to us beyond 2022 so once we knew that we wanted sam to coach beyond then and did not want to lose him to pies. that is why it all went down
Seems a pretty logical set of circumstances in reality. Just the way it unfolded played out poorly. I think the club believed the handover would work, going forward but it just did not pan out that way.

So which journo will go with it one more time - Carlton still have not given up on Clarkson?

Tom Browne Tom Browne
Tony Two Phones Sheahan
Damian Gill's b*tch Barrett
Sam Blues Mafia McClure
I'm waiting for the press conference appointing Voss and the Board still leaving it open for Clarko.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back