25. Dean Kent - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Trade Period
Players: Monday October 4 – Wednesday October 13
Picks: Monday October 4 – tbc (approx. Friday November 19)

List Lodgement 1
tbc (approx. Thursday October 28)

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
tbc (approx. Friday October 29 - Monday November 8)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
tbc (approx. Tuesday November 9)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
tbc (approx. Wednesday November 10 - Friday November 19)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dominated? He played in a team that ended up with the lowest percentage on the VFL ladder. North VFL team won 4 games out of 10 - Xerri only played in one of those wins - they seemed to do better without him. His stats were impressive in one game against 3rd from the bottom Essendon in a league of 22 teams.

I am hoping that this is not another dud move in the sad history of St Kilda list management. Judge this move by the level of interest shown in him by other clubs.
What else should we be doing for a cheap, back-up option to sit behind Marshall and Ryder?

Dominated? He played in a team that ended up with the lowest percentage on the VFL ladder. North VFL team won 4 games out of 10 - Xerri only played in one of those wins - they seemed to do better without him. His stats were impressive in one game against 3rd from the bottom Essendon in a league of 22 teams.

I am hoping that this is not another dud move in the sad history of St Kilda list management. Judge this move by the level of interest shown in him by other clubs.
So who exactly would you like to see the club bring in as a back up ruckman ?

No one of any note is going to elect to come to the club as a back up. It will be someone looking for an opportunity so we may as well go for someone reasonably young who has played okay at VFL level. Whoever that may be.

To bring up North’s VFL record is laughable most weeks they struggled to field a side due to injuries.

SportAFLAFL 2021
Demons looking at axed Saint Dunstan
Daniel Cherny
By Daniel Cherny
October 5, 2021 — 7.19pm
Premiers Melbourne are among the clubs looking at handing an AFL career lifeline to ex-St Kilda midfielder Luke Dunstan.

The Demons, who had interest in Adam Cerra before he chose to pursue a trade to Carlton, are keen to add extra midfield depth following the retirement of Nathan Jones and the departure of Aaron vandenBerg, who is seeking opportunities at a second AFL club.

Industry sources told The Age that the Dees had spoken to Dunstan’s camp about a move to the club, where he would provide depth to a midfield brimming with talent, most notably Christian Petracca and Clayton Oliver.

Dunstan, a first-round pick in 2013, was once viewed at St Kilda as a potential future captain but fell out of favour under Brett Ratten
But despite his flaws, most notably being an unreliable kick, Dunstan has retained a strong ability to win the ball. In 12 AFL matches this year he notched 11 Brownlow Medal votes, the second most of any Saint in 2021. This included a mid-season purple patch.

The South Australian, 26, could walk to the Dees as early as this week as an unrestricted free agent.

A move to the Dees would reunite Dunstan with his former St Kilda coach Alan Richardson.

Having been dropped ahead of round 23, Dunstan has also attracted interest from Essendon and Gold Coast, the latter of whom would only consider Dunstan as a rookie-list option given the club’s dearth of list spots.

Vying for back-to-back flags, and with the added incentive of trying to win a grand final back at the MCG, the Dees are keen to retain experienced depth players, having recommitted to 31-year-old Mitch Brown despite the forward playing just one AFL game this year.

In a frank interview with 3AW last month after it emerged that he would not be offered a new contract by the Saints, Dunstan said that while he harboured no ill-will towards Ratten it was clear that the coach wasn’t a huge fan of Dunstan’s football.

“I wouldn’t say I didn’t get on with him,” Dunstan said.

Advertisement

“He’s a good fella and I think it’s pretty clear that he didn’t rate me, which is fine. It’s hard to change opinions of coaches and that’s footy, I’m not holding that against anyone.

I come in peace. I just heard that we were/are into Luke Dunstan. What's he like? Strengths? Weaknesses? Why is he called "Spook"?

I think we should back in Pauly & Heath as our 3rd/4th rucks on the list. Let's stop pissing about with guys that will chew up a spot or cost too much. Punter with a full pre-season has a little scope and he is a better player than Xerri already.. I would also back Heath to go past Xerri within 6-12 months time.
I have a very bad feeling about this trade. Feels like we’re settling for a very average player due to not having the salary cap, nor the draft assets to trade in a good ruckman.
I can’t see this guy being an upgrade on Paul Hunter.
There is no player, currently on an a senior AFL list, that Paul Hunter can reasonably claim to be better than. Not 1

Xerri upgrades our list by simply not being Paul Hunter

Last edited:

From memory he was absolutely belting down the door in the VFL. Don't think it was one impressive game.

EDIT just found his stats:

Very impressive especially for a 21yo.

Last edited:
What’s the story with North and ruckmen?
Are they breeding them at Arden Street?
Preuss had to leave because of Goldy.
They recruit a replacement and he has to leave because of Goldy.
And the other two that they have recruited in the meantime are still waiting because of Goldy.
It’s like us with HBF (Richo era) and tall forwards (Ratts).
Maybe that’s the cunning plan.
18 clubs, 18 playing positions: each club gets to waste resources on a favoured position that they turn into gold, or brass, every other season?
Goldstein has been loyal and unbelievably durable.
Seldom out injured and almost always in good form.
Problem for them is that very few of those ruckman have had the capacity to play as a fwd including Goldstein so not many get a look in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what the other option is...

You can't trade in players every year. You have to have years where you got the draft.

Port did exactly the same thing, as did Melbourne after trading in players for a few years.

We have the least under 21s in the comp. It's dangerous for your future if you don't bring some in.

If he is getting a game for us Gringo we won't be playing in the grand final.

I reckon he's only cover if you lose an inside mid but he's better than you'd expect.

What else should we be doing for a cheap, back-up option to sit behind Marshall and Ryder?

i1wiwLL.gif

I come in peace. I just heard that we were/are into Luke Dunstan. What's he like? Strengths? Weaknesses? Why is he called "Spook"?
He's the classic inside mid - good clearance winner (more at stoppages than centre bounce), racks up the ball and brownlow votes easily, not fast and while his tank was poor at the start of his career it is fine now, capable of doing a run with job.

Weakness is clearly his kicking. But also that he constantly gets the ball on the outside and kicks inside 50 despite it being his weakness. And while his best games are great, he doesnt do it often enough. It's been a trend throughout his career - he struggles, goes to the VFL, dominates, returns and with incredible form yet doesn't maintain it for long enough.

His right foot is better than his left and he has never used it .

Contested ball winner but one of the worst decision makers and kicks I have seen.
But he had heart, which is more than can be said about some of our other players. He did care when the team lost.
I’m fine with him leaving, but some of the stuff said about him is a bit much. We’ve seen him nearly in tears after losses, contrast that to the chosen one in Brad Hill who’s all smiles looking for a laugh with the opposition.

Very unpopular on this board but perhaps harshly so, fairly average inside mid with frankly atrocious disposal. He did have a really strong season but I wouldn't expect him to be able to repeat that consistently as he hasn't really shown that in the last 8 years. He'd be fine as a depth player, but he is leaving us because he doesn't want to be a depth player which makes it interesting. Bit of a mongrel though, gets under his opponents skin, wouldn't be a bad tagger

He's the classic inside mid - good clearance winner (more at stoppages than centre bounce), racks up the ball and brownlow votes easily, not fast and while his tank was poor at the start of his career it is fine now, capable of doing a run with job.

Weakness is clearly his kicking. But also that he constantly gets the ball on the outside and kicks inside 50 despite it being his weakness. And while his best games are great, he doesnt do it often enough. It's been a trend throughout his career - he struggles, goes to the VFL, dominates, returns and with incredible form yet doesn't maintain it for long enough.

I reckon his late season form was as good or better than Crouch. His disposal and his tank seem much better, the two things that made him hard to watch early on. I think if he hadn't done his pec and played like he did this year we wouldn't have chased Crouch. You can't really carry two of those types when you already have a thin midfield with little variation. Hard to see him pushing Viney or Oliver out so you imagine he's playing at Casey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back