Politics Black Lives Matter

Remove this Banner Ad

It is not even clear what 'taking a knee' is. I assume it's born out of Colin Kaepernick's refusal to stand for the national anthem. I am all for an individuals choice to take the knee/protest an anthem that they feel doesn't represent them, but ******* mandating it?

No one should be forced to take a knee for anything ..... whether you believe in that purpose/thing or not ...... akin to the Nazi party making the Seig Heil salute mandatory for all civilians
As has been pointed out by others, how do you think a player who decided that they were going to sit out Anzac Day commemorations or Jane McGrath Day at the cricket would be received?

It is not even clear what 'taking a knee' is. I assume it's born out of Colin Kaepernick's refusal to stand for the national anthem. I am all for an individuals choice to take the knee/protest an anthem that they feel doesn't represent them, but ******* mandating it?

Yeah those poor persecuted racists.

De Koch walked away. Do you stand with him?

Lots of the Afrikaners would have been quite happy with that.
In fact, they were quite happy with that.
The English were worse than them in some ways, always the first to tell you how much they hated Apartheid while living through it, their accident of birth meant that they were the first out the door post democracy. Poor old Frikkie van der Merwe had no such out.

As has been pointed out by others, how do you think a player who decided that they were going to sit out Anzac Day commemorations or Jane McGrath Day at the cricket would be received?
Those are also one off specific days in the year for specific causes and the players stand there in respect, some jiggle, some sing but none are forced to mandatorily submit to a specific stance / bodily action.

Those are also one off specific days in the year for specific causes and the players stand there in respect, some jiggle, some sing but none are forced to mandatorily submit to a specific stance / bodily action.
Staring into space like some juiced up junky while listening to the last post doesn't seem any more or less onerous than taking a knee for racial equality.

In South Africa the colour you're born for most people is still the one the that matters in deciding how your life will pan out, for de Kock not to recognise his own privilege and what his actions say is staggering.

Its not his fault how he was born, he has nothing to feel bad about and the reasons for him not to take a knee is for him and him alone.

Yeah - how dare he acknowledge racism and it is scary to think he is made to feel bad. Nothing to feel bad about,

He has nothing to feel bad about being born white, the whole industry built around it is a complete fraud.

He can acknowledge racism however he likes, no one can demand if and when he does it

He has nothing to feel bad about being born white, the whole industry built around it is a complete fraud.

He can acknowledge racism however he likes, no one can demand if and when he does it
With actual fascism is still in their very recent history the conversation around race in South Africa is necessarily different to almost anywhere else in the world. de Kock will know this and it's what makes his stand, and subsequent silence about it even more suspicious to anyone with even a passing knowledge of South African history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That people think taking the knee will actually solve or do anything just shows the lack of intelligence in the world. The vast majority know that Racism is bad. The ones who think Racism is no big deal you will never ever change their minds but they are a very small minority.
All these groups like BLM are achieving absolutely nothing and in my opinion creating more issues. If you have to force someone to get your own point across even if they believe in that point then you have a problem to start with.

i think this is a good perspective:

A South African sports journalist Lungani Zama has been quoted as saying that de Kock's decision to stand down "reflects his perspective on the cricketing bureaucracy, not the movement".

"The timing of it could have been a lot better, given the amount of time South Africa have had to take a definitive, collective stance," Zama, a Guardian contributor, told SEN Breakfast.

"If you're asking me if Quinton de Kock is racist or against Black Lives Matter, I'll unequivocally say no," said Zama, adding, "I know him personally, and I know the work he's done to improve the lives and experiences of black players and black people around him, for years. From my conversations with him, he sees it as a token gesture which has been watered down to almost mean nothing."

Going forward, Zama said that it would be much better if individuals could "settle on a comfortable decision for themselves".

"I do completely agree that it's a much more worthwhile and meaningful journey if the individual is able to learn what they can, and settle on a comfortable decision for themselves. Rather than being forced, and ramrodded down a particular policy that has clearly been made on the run."

That people think taking the knee will actually solve or do anything just shows the lack of intelligence in the world. The vast majority know that Racism is bad. The ones who think Racism is no big deal you will never ever change their minds but they are a very small minority.
All these groups like BLM are achieving absolutely nothing and in my opinion creating more issues. If you have to force someone to get your own point across even if they believe in that point then you have a problem to start with.

We are talking about racism. That's essentially the whole point of BLM.

De Koch has furthered the cause with his stance. We wouldn't be talking about it if he took a knee lol.

question: does not taking a knee (and going against the orders of his team) do more for the awareness of what they are trying to convey

Team takes a knee, anyone not watching has no idea they did it and gets some traction but not much. Someone doesnt take a knee, big storm in a teacup, all over the news and gets more traction....

he's done more for the awareness than any other team taking a knee in this world cup

For what its worth - i think its ridiculous someone gets in trouble or ridiculed for doing what he did

question: does not taking a knee (and going against the orders of his team) do more for the awareness of what they are trying to convey

Team takes a knee, anyone not watching has no idea they did it and gets some traction but not much. Someone doesnt take a knee, big storm in a teacup, all over the news and gets more traction....

he's done more for the awareness than any other team taking a knee in this world cup

Yes, this is the bit that the anti BLM types don't understand.

We wouldn't be talking about it if de Koch took a knee.

Same thing happens every time they mention BLM vs freedumb riots, it continues the conversation.

Similar to Streisand effect. We could call this the de Koch effect (or the Kimi Raikkonen effect, for F1 fans)

Its funny none of these virtue signallers who like to push things like BlM on people like to preach but none of their care or concern leads to them giving their jobs or way of life up in favour of those they apparently support
Is this meant to make sense?

Yes, this is the bit that the anti BLM types don't understand.

We wouldn't be talking about it if de Koch took a knee.

Same thing happens every time they mention BLM vs freedumb riots, it continues the conversation.

Similar to Streisand effect. We could call this the de Koch effect (or the Kimi Raikkonen effect, for F1 fans)

the real irony is that the directive to take a knee came from concerns about lack of unity in the team and the resultant negative image this would put on rsa.

qdk has been not kneeling for a while and no one cares. only when he was ordered to do it and refused, did this become an issue that has blown up for cricket in rsa and rsa generally.

team loses its best player in an important tournament, and rsa and qdc are cancelled.

super stuff all around.

I have no issues with sports people being forced to be against racism if they want to play organised sport at the highest level.

You don't have to be wearing the ribbon to be against AIDS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back