Politics Black Lives Matter

Remove this Banner Ad

The cricket boards can signal themselves, their players have been doing it in their own way for a while now - they don't need to be required to prostrate themselves so the board can feel like they are sending enough of a message.

Maybe they could have them wear a new playing strip too.

If BLM sponsored a cricket team and put BLM on the uniform, would that be fine by you because it involves money?

Difference is asking someone if they’re ok is actually useful, taking a knee does nothing.
It serves the purpose of signalling - which is the point.
The deliberate ignorance is painful.

'Asking someone is useful!! Global campaigns are signalling'

I'll be honest, I'm assuming here that both of you would take issue with BLM, and how George Floyd has any reason to be part of any group in Australia.

You think BLM or George Floyd would have had any impact, influence or 'notoriety', if it was only through "someone asking someone"?

Please look up "The Scully Effect". Be open minded, and 'do your own research'.

Which is exactly what should happen if I don’t know you are playing a game if cricket….
What a completely stupid logic to put out there that a good old knee bend is more important
than the game they are being payed to play. You want to be a politician get into politics.

It's symbolism. Just like the minutes silence, playing the national anthem. Singing the team song when you win,. Shaking your opponent's hand. People think they are important,. Swearing to tell the truth in a court of law. Wedding vows.

The quote I was relyying to was. , "Race issues are not more important than winning cricket games at the highest level."

It's sayingteh race issues are less important than winning games of cirtcket. Not symbolic Knee bends. But Race Issues.

Do you think that advertising certain positions at the "highest level" of whatever sport, occupation, et al. Would have any form of influence or impact on the societies that see that "highest level"?

If, for example, the "highest level" or cricket portrayed racism as bad, that would have a greater influence than an individual trying to convince all of the same people that racism is bad?

Also, isn't the "highest level" of anything... showing that they don't support racism... a good thing?

This isn't a gotcha. But what do you thinks more important to society at the moment:
A. Being the best at something, while opposing racism.
B. Being the best at something, because of a racist.

I'm asking if your view is that you support a win at all costs, or, a win without supporting racism?

I am saying that I believe that the players do oppose racism I am saying that when they have a game on that racism is not part of how they mentally get themselves prepared for their game.
Did you go to work today with racism on your mind? I am not saying the fight against racism is not important, I am just saying the players are not thinking about when they are playing.
Of course the highest level can have an impact on society but should they be using that platform to get points across is another thing all together.

When I played sport and I played a pretty high level it was win at all costs for me and the teams I played for. I played in an era however that didn't have politics and sport tangled together and social media as it is today.
I don't know any high level sportsman that don't play with a win at all costs attitude. I assume that a hugely vast majority are against racism and I don't need any of them showing me that they are.
I have no issue with the players kneeling, but I also have no issue with the players who don't. Maybe the TV and the media should concentrate on who does instead of who doesn't and send positive vibes across their platforms.

Just as an aside, I'd argue that South Africa isn't the only country with "race" problems within its cricketing culture.

The first Australian sporting team to tour overseas was Aboriginal, but you could probably only name a dozen or so full or part Aboriginal players of note since then.

it's not that Aboriginals don't play sport at the top level in Australia (AFL, the Rugby Codes eg) but cricket? What's going on there?

I am saying that I believe that the players do oppose racism I am saying that when they have a game on that racism is not part of how they mentally get themselves prepared for their game.
Did you go to work today with racism on your mind? I am not saying the fight against racism is not important, I am just saying the players are not thinking about when they are playing.
Of course the highest level can have an impact on society but should they be using that platform to get points across is another thing all together.

When I played sport and I played a pretty high level it was win at all costs for me and the teams I played for. I played in an era however that didn't have politics and sport tangled together and social media as it is today.
I don't know any high level sportsman that don't play with a win at all costs attitude. I assume that a hugely vast majority are against racism and I don't need any of them showing me that they are.
I have no issue with the players kneeling, but I also have no issue with the players who don't. Maybe the TV and the media should concentrate on who does instead of who doesn't and send positive vibes across their platforms.
So you didn't play from 1970 to 1992? Because that period alone saw South Africa excluded from international cricket by, wouldn't you know it, politics.

it's not that Aboriginals don't play sport at the top level in Australia (AFL, the Rugby Codes eg) but cricket? What's going on there?
I dunno this is a good question which I've asked before. You almost never ever see indigenous kids playing the game even mucking around at home or a school, it's a shame.

It's symbolism. Just like the minutes silence, playing the national anthem. Singing the team song when you win,. Shaking your opponent's hand. People think they are important,. Swearing to tell the truth in a court of law. Wedding vows.

The quote I was relyying to was. , "Race issues are not more important than winning cricket games at the highest level."

It's sayingteh race issues are less important than winning games of cirtcket. Not symbolic Knee bends. But Race Issues.

If your a cricketer, played to pay cricket, in a world cup winning the game yes is more important.

Do you think emotional intelligence is important in team sports? Psychology plays a part, yeah?

Just as an aside, I'd argue that South Africa isn't the only country with "race" problems within its cricketing culture.

The first Australian sporting team to tour overseas was Aboriginal, but you could probably only name a dozen or so full or part Aboriginal players of note since then.

Quick we better get a quota system put in but we better include each of the 42 apparent genders and make sure the white guy goes in last… im now sure how it will work with only 11 in the team that can play however.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you believe the 'motive' behind getting these high level athletes to publicly oppose racism is?
What's the negative? Stand, sit, kneel, look left, look right whatever. How would a small sign change their game, unless the opposed it?

I'll ask a few times. What do you think the 'motive' is?
Of course not. But I also didn't have millions of people watch me work.

Imagine if I did have millions of people watching me work today.
Would you support or oppose me pushing racism?

What era did you possibly play in, that didn't have politics involved? I don't know if a time ever existed.
Unless by politics, you mean some kind of 'the left'?

Ok. Win at all costs.
So, * this person who has gone out of their way to cause controversy and distraction?
Or win at all costs... but also "Freedom of speech"?
If you've no issue with kneeling or against kneeling, you should spend some time looking up the reason for it.
I support kneeling, because of what it represents.

If your a cricketer, played to pay cricket, in a world cup winning the game yes is more important.
Not it's not for anyone with any decent principles.
The moment you put success. money, above principles you have just sold out any principles you have claimed to have.

yeah it';s saying I'm agiant racism but if gets in the way of me earning $5 I;m sorry I'll have to pass.

I dunno this is a good question which I've asked before. You almost never ever see indigenous kids playing the game even mucking around at home or a school, it's a shame.

Perhaps cricket Australia doesn't do enough to engage with indigenous communities. I feel a lot more of that gets done in the afl or rugby codes.

Quick we better get a quota system put in but we better include each of the 42 apparent genders and make sure the white guy goes in last… im now sure how it will work with only 11 in the team that can play however.

Is incel a gender? We want you to feel included.

Maybe you could just be the umpire then?

I wanted this separate, because it's important. Because it's the main point... not another thing altogether.

You understand why it's important.
You understand the impact on society.
You don't think it should be used to better society.

What's more important to you, sporting achievements or society?
Because the main reason for sporting achievements is for the betterment of society. So if it's detrimental, what's the point?

"Please don't be racist, or support racism."
That doesn’t require taking a knee
The deliberate ignorance is painful.

'Asking someone is useful!! Global campaigns are signalling'

I'll be honest, I'm assuming here that both of you would take issue with BLM, and how George Floyd has any reason to be part of any group in Australia.

You think BLM or George Floyd would have had any impact, influence or 'notoriety', if it was only through "someone asking someone"?

Please look up "The Scully Effect". Be open minded, and 'do your own research'.
You’re all over the place here that I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make.

But if you must know what my issue is it’s I simply don’t like token gestures. Actually do something that enacts change.

I've wondered if the answer to that might lie with the influence of the missions on the development of the Indigenous game, they seemed to encourage playing footy a lot more than cricket, a religion in itself maybe they didn't want the competition?

That doesn’t require taking a knee

You’re all over the place here that I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make.

But if you must know what my issue is it’s I simply don’t like token gestures. Actually do something that enacts change.
So you support taking a knee...

I think it's more that you don't like it, so you just consider it a 'gesture'.

Perhaps cricket Australia doesn't do enough to engage with indigenous communities. I feel a lot more of that gets done in the afl or rugby codes.
I think for whatever reason historically indigenous Australians just haven't been attracted culturally to the game, as I said you never see children in the neighbourhood playing it yet they will always be kicking a footy all winter. Would be nice if that could change and it should be something CA is looking at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back