Live Event 2021 AFL Draft live discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't expect Howe to slide to the dees. Was really hoping we would grab him with one of our 2nd rounders.

39. Melbourne: Blake Howes

Sandringham Dragons, NAB League / Parkdale FC / St. Bede's

State: Victoria (Metro)

Height: 190cm

Weight: 79kg

Date of Birth: 07/04/03

Cal Twomey's Phantom Draft Prediction: 19

I feel both Banks and Brown are a type of player we really lack, outside of Vlastuin how many midsized defenders (between 183 & 190cm) do we have on our list who can intercept?

None I think.

Parker. Caddy. Pickett. Not ideal going forward.

Rcd. Ross. Martyn. Graham. Seem more middle/forward.

Ralphsmith looks wing/hff?

Dow and mansell smaller than that size range

All of our picks have good footskills. Seems we now know under the current stand rule that we need players who can kick. Gives the impression that our gameplan may be tweaked slightly this year rather than a running handball game, maybe a gameplan that utilises a spread/kicking style.

or we’re building to that game style over a number of years given the rules changes.

These picks if they make it are only impacting 2-5 years from now. We are clearly banking on more rules changes to making it a kick-mark game and not a contested, inside stick your head in the hole game. For a whole raft of reasons.

I can see on field sides being reduced to 16 in the next 5 years. We are clearly building a hybrid side that can cope with change.

None I think.

Parker. Caddy. Pickett. Not ideal going forward.

Rcd. Ross. Martyn. Graham. Seem more middle/forward.

Ralphsmith looks wing/hff?

Dow and mansell smaller than that size range
Exactly mate, we have options for both tall and small defenders but have really lacked any mid sized defensive depth, it really shown when Vlastuin was injured this season.

My point is that with a contested mid player they must be quality. I get it regarding Goater. As he’s the same as RCD and you seem to have a hard on for him you obviously rate him higher than RCD. Otherwise he’s just a competitor for one spot in the 22. Myself I have no idea. But I back the guys who have seen more than me. And I know through a recent coterie presentation that the club rates RCD.

The examples you mentioned would have cost the following:

Erasmus- Pick 9
Goater - Pick 17
Knevitt- Pick 17

Put it on the line. You happy with picking these guys over the ones we ended up with at 9 and 17?
Competition for spots is a good thing

You said “you rate him higher than RCD”. I literally just said in my post that I don’t know if he is better than RCD or not. Why are you insisting that I am saying that I rate him higher than RCD when that’s not what I said?

I’d have been happier with Knevitt and/or Goater at 17 because they are prospect players that have the potential to address a bigger need for us than a general defender. I think Brown will end up a good player for us, but players like Goater, Johnson or Knevitt would have made more sense for us based on their potential to address a glaring need.

I would not have been any happier with Erasmus than Gibcus at pick 9 because I think Gibcus is a really good pick and fills a big need as well. This is why I said in my earlier post that I was fine with us passing on Erasmus.

STEAL - Rhett Bazzo (Pick 37, West Coast Eagles)

The WA key position product has been a draft enigma of sorts, able to go anywhere between picks 20 and 40.

Speak to talent guru Mick Ablett, however, and you could sleep very well as an Eagles supporter after hearing Bazzo’s name read out for Pick 37.

“I had him in my top 10, I just think he was one of the best prospects two years ago coming out - there’s a number of reasons why things don’t unfold how they should but I tell you what, this kid hasn’t lost his talent,” he said.

“Think Darcy Moore - this is an absolute steal for the West Coast Eagles and a sensational pick-up. I’m rapt to see him make his way onto an AFL list.

“He’ll learn from Jeremy McGovern and that’s the type of player he is, that intercept marker who can even go forward ... they’ve got themselves an out and out star.

“Mark my words, in a few years time AFL people will be wondering why this kid went at Pick 37.”

Clubs and draft-watchers were perplexed this season as to why he played a lot of school footy and WAFL colts games earlier in the season as a key forward, despite being widely viewed as a tall defender that can intercept the ball.

The 195cm prospect starred late in the year for his state, finishing with 18 disposals and 10 marks in a game against South Australia.

There are some question marks on how he defends in one-on-one contests, but his ability to read the ball is unquestionable.

So a highly rated WA prospect is apparently played out of position all year that leads to his stock plummeting, only to be picked up by...... the Eagles.

Am i the only one who reads this and thinks of the words "tampering"? If this kid does turn out to be a massive steal as a intercept defender, you got to wonder why he was constantly played as a Key Forward despite his obvious talent down back.

You would be legit shocked how often stuff like this happens in professional sports.

Last edited:
i like the path we've gone down this draft,shored up some elite defensive talent and speed which enables us to swing Bolta and Gibcus centre fwd this season
when required and we give Dow and RCD an opportunity to vy for a permanent mid spot whilst trading in an established FWD or Mid end of '22 when Cotchin,Jack and Titch retire.We also can get games into Jr Rioli and this new guy Clarke,which pretty much spells the end for Castagna,Caddy and Aarts and gives Wickers the luxury of using Daniel Rioli and Stack as utilities.
I think all our pics bar Banks are ready to go Rd1

The WA key position product has been a draft enigma of sorts, able to go anywhere between picks 20 and 40.

Speak to talent guru Mick Ablett, however, and you could sleep very well as an Eagles supporter after hearing Bazzo’s name read out for Pick 37.

“I had him in my top 10, I just think he was one of the best prospects two years ago coming out - there’s a number of reasons why things don’t unfold how they should but I tell you what, this kid hasn’t lost his talent,” he said.

“Think Darcy Moore - this is an absolute steal for the West Coast Eagles and a sensational pick-up. I’m rapt to see him make his way onto an AFL list.

“He’ll learn from Jeremy McGovern and that’s the type of player he is, that intercept marker who can even go forward ... they’ve got themselves an out and out star.

“Mark my words, in a few years time AFL people will be wondering why this kid went at Pick 37.”

Clubs and draft-watchers were perplexed this season as to why he played a lot of school footy and WAFL colts games earlier in the season as a key forward, despite being widely viewed as a tall defender that can intercept the ball.

The 195cm prospect starred late in the year for his state, finishing with 18 disposals and 10 marks in a game against South Australia.

There are some question marks on how he defends in one-on-one contests, but his ability to read the ball is unquestionable.

So a highly rated WA prospect is apparently played out of position all year that leads to his stock plummeting, only to be picked up by...... the Eagles.

Am i the only one who reads this and thinks of the words "tampering"? If this kid does turn out to be a massive steal as a intercept defender, you got to wonder why he was constantly played as a Key Forward despite his obvious talent down back.

yeah probably. Think the whole covid thing has shook a lot people. Players are people. It’s one of those years. Maybe we got Gibcus for the same reasons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What? The flags were delivered well before Clarke started recruiting
Francis Jackson still in the recruiting team, he was head of recruiting years ago while Matty Clarke has been in the recruiting team since 2009. I’ll back these guys that have been there and done that rather than some random posters on bigfooty.

You would be legit shocked how often stuff like this happens in professional sports.
at least thats more subtle than essendon, who just tell kids to ham up the interviews with other clubs

rd 1 line up

grimes bolta baker
brown vlaustin gibcus
stack prestia dow
d.rioli reiwoldt lambert
clarke lynch bolton

nankervis martin sonsie

inter: broad cotchin graham soldo

sub: edwards
this side rocks if i do say so myself
I love our picks but do you really think 3 will debut in rd 1? My money would be on none. 2022 is a year for them to learn not impact, not expecting anything from any of them next year.

Apart from Gibcus and Sonsie I thought it was just another draft where our recruiters try and outsmart our opponents instead of just picking what's there.

I feel like the pick we got from Collingwood helped us land Sonsie but then we just tried to play smart after that.

Would have even preferred to trade down picks 29 & 30 to get into the top 20 if I knew that's how it was going to go.

All of our picks have good footskills. Seems we now know under the current stand rule that we need players who can kick. Gives the impression that our gameplan may be tweaked slightly this year rather than a running handball game, maybe a gameplan that utilises a spread/kicking style.
Good in theory. But the reality is that these 5 blokes won't be playing too much in the next season or two, and the rule might not even last that long. I just think we needed some good users of the ball, regardless of any come-and-go rule changes..

I don’t care what anyone says, we did not
Need to pick a small fwd.

Stack, Rioli, junior, Bolton, Shedda, Baker, George and Aarts can all run through that small fwd role.

Except of that lot Rioli is now a HBF, Edwards is about to retire, Bolton will play mostly midfield, Aarts and Castagna are not up to it. Lynch and JRoo kicked 86-goals last year with Lynch missing 5 games. Small-medium goal kicking was by far our biggest problem area. We need a 30+ goal skilful goal-sneak badly !!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back