Resource COVID19 V - The Info Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The article does not mentioned the T-cells are vaccine-induced but instead " T-cells – white blood cells that originate in the marrow".
We can only assume it is our own natural T-cells rather than contributed by the vaccine.

Dr Stuart Turville, from the University of New South Wales’ Kirby Institute, has been studying samples from people infected with Omicron. He said T-cells represent a “pretty good backup” in the immune response.
That response is multi-factorial, he said, as both T-cells and B-cells (which produce antibodies) develop a “memory” of the virus that attacks the body.

“At the beginning, what gives them that memory is the primary encounter,” Turville said. “If you’re lucky, it’s a vaccination; if you’re unlucky, it’s the first time you’re infected.”

Dr Stuart Turville, from the University of New South Wales’ Kirby Institute, has been studying samples from people infected with Omicron. He said T-cells represent a “pretty good backup” in the immune response.
That response is multi-factorial, he said, as both T-cells and B-cells (which produce antibodies) develop a “memory” of the virus that attacks the body.

“At the beginning, what gives them that memory is the primary encounter,” Turville said. “If you’re lucky, it’s a vaccination; if you’re unlucky, it’s the first time you’re infected.”
I have no arguement and have good confidence on the functions of a correct code vaccine to produce antibody and induce Kill T-cells for protection.
I am questioning about whether the current vaccines originally produced for Alpha variants are still effective.
Then:
1. Should we quicken the process of producing Omicron variant vaccine (which Moderna is saying it could be available early 2022)?
2. Should we have other measures to safeguard ourself before the more effective vaccine for Omicron is available?
3. What happens to the one vaccine for all variants (developing by the US Military) is prgressing?
Edit: Killer T-cells can kill the virus infected cells are good news, but so far, there is no mention about the T-cells get the memory from the vaccine or from the infection. (I guess I can only guess if the current vaccine does not provide the correct memory to the antibody, the Killer T-cells will not get the correct memory from the vaccine).
Also the Killer T-cells are killing the human cells and some sort of damages are going on. It is far better to have tge first line of denfenceworking too. In short, a more effective vaccine for the job is requured.

Last edited:

There are some pretty solid alternatives to the "I can only guess ..." approach.

There are actually people who research this stuff, and are kind enough to share the findings for anyone who cares to seek it out.

There are some pretty solid alternatives to the "I can only guess ..." approach.

There are actually people who research this stuff, and are kind enough to share the findings for anyone who cares to seek it out.
please share the material you are talking about.
I assume you are saying there are research showing the current vaccine induced T-cells has the memory to kill specically the Omicron.
I used the word "I guess" is because there is no evidence showing either side of the arguement. However, logic tells me that, the Killer T-cells reacts to infection and not vaccine memory to kill Omicron.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that the vaccine's ability to prevent severe illness is being bypassed, just it's ability to prevent infection. Have you seen anything?

I'm personally happy to wait longer till there's better data about Omicron and long covid.

Most likely scenario though is our current restrictions carry on past our opening up on Feb 5th as we try to have a more limited Omicron wave.
I thought the need for the booster shot was in response to less effectiveness from the vaccine overall. That's why they are working on updated vaccines for omicron.

I also think we will open on 5th Feb. I expect current mask mandates to stay and probably some density restrictions as cases rise.

At one point you point out the current vaccine is not effective for the Ormicron (yes, a new research finding has already published to say that. (refer to previous post)), then what is the point of pointing out our high vaccination rate?
A safe and effective vaccine is very useful. What the govts should do is to put pressure to vaccine maufacturer to produce vaccine for the variants. Not until, we have the right vaccine, we should still control the border.
Your Chicken Pox Parties way of living with the virus is wrong and has never been recommended by the medical professional.

So far, no one has answered the costs and benefits question.
I am sure by listing down, the costs and benefits, the right answer will emerge.
You're right about working on new vaccines. The challenge is the lag from development to implementation vs the vaccine roll out. I don't think we'll get ahead of that curve anytime soon, so we have to find a way to keep moving.

I think you're overlooking the economic cost we currently experiencing from labour shortages. There is a huge amount of commerce going begging because we can't get things made/built etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right about working on new vaccines. The challenge is the lag from development to implementation vs the vaccine roll out. I don't think we'll get ahead of that curve anytime soon, so we have to find a way to keep moving.

I think you're overlooking the economic cost we currently experiencing from labour shortages. There is a huge amount of commerce going begging because we can't get things made/built etc
Moderna did say early 2022 for Omicron vaccine. Not sure further details.
I have not overlook the economic costs and hence i keep asking about the cost/benefits information. Each of us will have a different perceptions on the costs and benefits. Different restrictions will have different $ impacts (both positive and negative depending on your business) to different business/individual.
The eastern states income sources and WA income sources are different and this is also the reason why WA can afford to close the border in a different way.
Edit: Can we solve the labour shortage problem without undermining public health?

Last edited:
I'm also hearing that security guard had Omicron, but I haven't read anything to that effect just yet
Confirmed

Separately, a vaccinated security guard working at the Pan Pacific hotel quarantine facility tested positive over the weekend.

Mr Cook said genomic sequencing had shown he was infected with the Omicron variant.

“While this is serious, in encouraging news, it does not appear that there has been any further spread,” Mr cook said.

Fifteen close contacts have been identified, with 14 negative and one test pending.

Eight casual contacts have also been identified, with seven negative results and one test pending.

They're not free, because Scotty said yesterday that they will not be made free. They are "concessional access". Over 3 months. For no cost.

“Universal free access to tests was not agreed by any of the states and territories today,” Mr Morrison said, announcing the change.

“What was agreed, though, a model to provide concessional access for tests over a three month period,” he said.

“There will be a maximum of 10 tests that will be provided on a concessional basis over those three months.”

I was going to edit his head onto a weather-vane but I think this one already sums him up pretty well

1641364814568.png

They're not free, because Scotty said yesterday that they will not be made free. They are "concessional access". Over 3 months. For no cost.

“Universal free access to tests was not agreed by any of the states and territories today,” Mr Morrison said, announcing the change.

“What was agreed, though, a model to provide concessional access for tests over a three month period,” he said.

“There will be a maximum of 10 tests that will be provided on a concessional basis over those three months.”
Is that gobbledygook for we're giving everyone 10 free tests?

Still not good enough. Free and freely available Rapid tests should've been an essential element to opening up. Let's hope WA learns from it

Still not good enough. Free and freely available Rapid tests should've been an essential element to opening up. Let's hope WA learns from it
McGowan from last week:

"We've got massive orders in for rapid antigen tests for Western Australia. We expect we'll have around 8 million by February 5, and we expect we'll get a lot more after that," he said.

"I expect they'll be free, but we'll work through those details."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back