Toast Vale Shane Warne (1969 - 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember first watching him in a test at my grandparents place. My grandfather said "let's take a look at this new legspinner he's meant to go alright" then he proceeded to bowl someone around his legs, not sure if it was the Gatting ball and maybe the whole thing is just a legend in my head but that's the effect he had.

I also remember watching him try to singlehandedly bowl out South Africa on day 5 at the G. A battle between him and Kallis, two of the greatest to ever play the game.

He always talked about his dream of seeing us win a flag. It's sad that he never will. That victory will be so bittersweet, thinking of all the greats like Shane and Danny that will miss it.

But we will party in their honour.

Warne and Harvey. I'm sure there are a few others in there who reached the firsts...

X1yCOBA.jpg

I am so heart broken by this news. I remember watching Shane on the MCG outfield playing with the crowd (Shane has a stretch, the whole crowd does a stretch, he gave us a cheeky wink). So awesome on the field, we were hanging off every ball, so exciting and good for young blokes and cricket alike. Off the field, never a dull moment. And St Kilda through and through, so passionate about his club. We will miss you mate, thanks for all that you did and for just being Shane. Legend. R. I. P.

I remember being allowed to stay up and watch this.
Bringing a spinner on in the 13th over back then was absolutely unheard of but Warney was that good he could just change the game, which he did.

I watched that game in a cinema near Washington DC run by some Indian guys, it was the only place I could find to watch it as it wasn't shown on tv there and internet streaming wasn't a thing back then.

I vividly remember that spell from Warnie, South Africa were cruising at the time and he changed the game, he turned it from an ODI into a test match.

He was just a one off freak bowler, you always stopped to watch when Warnie came on to bowl as he made things happen, cricket wasn't the same after he retired, there will never be another bowler like him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pardon the interruption. As well as being a rusted on fan of the Saints footy team, he was a champion of the St Kilda Premier Cricket Club.

He continued to support them as well. The Club will be devastated.

Vale Legend.

Warne and Harvey. I'm sure there are a few others in there who reached the firsts...

X1yCOBA.jpg

I guy I get to do some work for me played at St Kilda with Warnie (I think I recognise him in the pic) says his wife knew Warnie as family friends growing up. Even at his most famous he kept in touch with them. Sounds like there are lots of people saying the same thing. Could shake hands with the rich and famous but still make time to go for a cuppa in Carrum Downs to catch up with people from his past or sit out watching his kid play footy at a suburban oval and have a chat with the common folks.

Perfect venue for a tribute to this champion will be the first game against Collingwood.
He will be sorely missed and I hope the Club can honour him appropriately.
Would have been more fitting at the G

MCG changing the name of the Great Southern Stand in his honour.

We really need to do a better job of giving our heroes their flowers while they are still here. Still, it's a nice touch.

I’m in shock. Finally buried my dad today and then lose marsh and Warnie. Got some bad wraps but was a really genuine guy. Sat next to him when barks had the memorial against the hawks. Been a shocking few weeks.
Deepest sympathies to you sir for the passing of your father, and just to top it off this tragic news about Warnie. Truly tragic news.

I watched that game in a cinema near Washington DC run by some Indian guys, it was the only place I could find to watch it as it wasn't shown on tv there and internet streaming wasn't a thing back then.

I vividly remember that spell from Warnie, South Africa were cruising at the time and he changed the game, he turned it from an ODI into a test match.

He was just a one off freak bowler, you always stopped to watch when Warnie came on to bowl as he made things happen, cricket wasn't the same after he retired, there will never be another bowler like him.
The other thing as well is that Warne was struggling for form throughout that whole tournament (and on the WI tour previously).

He'd been going through a lot of personal dramas (being away from his son who had just been born, caught smoking after being paid huge fees to quit by a company I can't remember) and there were even talks that we should have dropped him.

As they say, form is temporary and class is permanent. Tugga threw him the ball in desperation. South Africa were cruising.

That first wicket to Gibbs sent shockwaves through the Proteas camp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back