Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming none of these players get poached by expansion teams, from a Collingwood perspective that would probably mean we'd go into next season without Bri Davey, Brit Bonnici, Sarah Rowe and Aishling Sheridan.
Do Rowe and Sheridan have conflicting Gaelic duties in August?

The Netball World Cup finishes August too so that would potentially be conflicting for Brazill unless she goes straight from one to the other. Presuming she continues to play for us of course

Do Rowe and Sheridan have conflicting Gaelic duties in August?

The Netball World Cup finishes August too so that would potentially be conflicting for Brazill unless she goes straight from one to the other. Presuming she continues to play for us of course
My understanding the Gaelic season finishes mid September. So I guess its doable, but it would be tough to make the transition that quickly to AFLW.

Assuming none of these players get poached by expansion teams, from a Collingwood perspective that would probably mean we'd go into next season without Bri Davey, Brit Bonnici, Sarah Rowe and Aishling Sheridan.
It was going to start in the last week of November at the latest, which would mean Davey (had surgery on ~11 Feb) and Bonnici were highly unlikely to play in the H&A season anyway.

I'm not sure how this move is good for the league from a competitiveness perspective for many teams. Presumably, a draft takes place in late June, so somehow clubs with list sizes of 30 and likely adding maybe 3 teenagers each are expected to play them. Surely the AFL does not want to see a dozen 17-year-olds running around in August having done a month of pre-season and still in high school.

While I'd miss the league with such a long break I feel they are better off having the next season in July or August 2023. This surely gives a better chance to sort out how the talent pathways align which are feeding the talent into a league now with 18 clubs.

I think changing the start to August is pretty good, surfaces should be softer, a bit less heat before summer really kicks in etc.

I wonder if the push to play it this year is because the new CBA kicks in next year, get one more season out of the way without having to up the players pay... Pull a fast one and get AFLW Season 2022 II out the door quickly with the new teams coming into the competition with less prep time and then see what the landscale looks like in August 2023 for the following season.

So this season we have AFLW 2022 version A and AFLW 2022 version B
AFLW Season 2022 II is what I'm going with.

I think changing the start to August is pretty good, surfaces should be softer, a bit less heat before summer really kicks in etc.

I wonder if the push to play it this year is because the new CBA kicks in next year, get one more season out of the way without having to up the players pay... Pull a fast one and get AFLW Season 2022 II out the door quickly with the new teams coming into the competition with less prep time and then see what the landscale looks like in August 2023 for the following season.

AFLW Season 2022 II is what I'm going with.
Maybe they will be calling them by the years. I.e. AFLW Season 6 for August 2022

They are saying it will be different but it is basically what we currently have just flipped at the end of the year instead of start of the year?

There won't be any access to major stadia for finals i.e. no MCG GF, no Adelaide Oval, no Gabba etc

WCE and Fremantle 'may' be able to use the WACA for early season matches

Doesn't work like that. The current CBA is good for three (and only three) seasons--the last being the current season in progress (known as the 2022 season) which had to take place between 1 November 2021 and 31 May 2022.

The new CBA (which has to be agreed on by 1 July 2022) will be negotiated to commence before the next season begins, whenever that may be. If the AFL wanted to pull a fast one of the kind you're suggesting, they'd be delaying the start of the next season to August 2023.

Looks like next season will start in August.

Meanwhile the women’s league is expected to begin its next season in August, with Nine reporting the AFL Commission had given provisional approval.

There was strong support for the switch, which would see AFLW move out of the hottest part of the summer (typically starting in January) and into the cooler months of spring.

The women’s season would begin as the men’s season reaches the finals, and then end in late November or early December, before Test cricket begins.

I guess this wouldn't be good news for potential Irish recruits, if their season finishes in September. I was hoping the Saints could recruit a few. And we were going to bring back Clara Fitzpatrick from Ireland, but this change might screw that over.

I think the Irish players bring a bunch of quality to the sport that is otherwise lacking at the moment, especially with the talent pool thinning out even more next season. The quality of the league would be worse without them, they've been playing professionally for decades longer than we have.

Maybe they could introduce special rookie spots for them to join here once their Gaelic season has concluded.

Doesn't work like that. The current CBA is good for three (and only three) seasons--the last being the current season in progress (known as the 2022 season) which had to take place between 1 November 2021 and 31 May 2022.

The new CBA (which has to be agreed on by 1 July 2022) will be negotiated to commence before the next season begins, whenever that may be. If the AFL wanted to pull a fast one of the kind you're suggesting, they'd be delaying the start of the next season to August 2023.
So your saying we might get 17 round competition to make it fair and equal that every club plays eachother?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You wouldn’t want that. Imagine having to play the top teams. :rolleyes:
Excuse me, I’ve never said I don’t want that. If that is what the fixture has been scheduled at the start of the season, bring it on!

What I do have a problem with though is when they release the fixture then change who your playing mid way through the year. It’s like if you were to say in the FIFA World Cup, mid way through the pool stages they would change the pools for the final game . There would be absolute well warranted outrage if that happened!

Excuse me, I’ve never said I don’t want that. If that is what the fixture has been scheduled at the start of the season, bring it on!

What I do have a problem with though is when they release the fixture then change who your playing mid way through the year. It’s like if you were to say in the FIFA World Cup, mid way through the pool stages they would change the pools for the final game . There would be absolute well warranted outrage if that happened!
You seriously don’t understand the need for flexibility given the impact Covid has had on sporting competitions over the past three years? Most Australian sports have suffered and continue to suffer fixture tweaks as the fixtures in their traditional design have become untenable.

You seriously don’t understand the need for flexibility given the impact Covid has had on sporting competitions over the past three years? Most Australian sports have suffered and continue to suffer fixture tweaks as the fixtures in their traditional design have become untenable.
Not changing who your scheduled to play . It has nothing to do with COVID.

Not changing who your scheduled to play . It has nothing to do with COVID.
Match-ups earlier in the season were altered to allow games to go ahead between sides whose opponents were unable to play them due to the Covid rules. Would you have preferred these sides just not have played games as the opportunity arose? And instead have a whole bevy of sides facing a condensed schedule unnecessarily?

Are you seriously this dim?

So your saying we might get 17 round competition to make it fair and equal that every club plays eachother?
Theoretically that's up for negotiation, but in reality the decision to keep extending gradually has pretty much already been made. The speculated window of late August to late November/early December equates to one or two extra weeks.

So I don't expect more than 11 H&A rounds next season. Maybe they'll also expand finals to 4 weeks. If they do start in late August, maybe they'll split Round 2 across the first two weeks of the men's finals to minimise scheduling clashes.

Word is that they start with two weeks of double headers with men's - so second weekend in August, with the GF first Friday or Sat in December (BBL likely to start that Sunday so perfect for Ch7). That would be either 13 rounds and four weeks of finals or 14 & 3.

Word is that they start with two weeks of double headers with men's - so second weekend in August, with the GF first Friday or Sat in December (BBL likely to start that Sunday so perfect for Ch7). That would be either 13 rounds and four weeks of finals or 14 & 3.

List management including 4 expansion club builds now needing to be completed prior to a draft in around mid May and pre-season starting early June.

So many moving parts, including a CBA to lock in.

It's ambitious, hopefully if it happens it works well but I think a transition 22/23 season of October/November 2022 to February 2023 is likely once the AFLPA gets involved and throws a whole lot of practical considerations into the debate.

I'm a little confused here: are they talking about moving the next season forward or back? The article on womens.afl says an 'earlier' start, but surely they're not going to play another season this year. Delaying the 2023 season until August makes way more sense if that's when they're planning to get going.

One thing they haven't discussed about a potential move of the season from Late August to early December, is where could they play the Grand Final?

Surely the MCG, Adelaide Oval, SCG, Optus Stadium and the Gabba would all be ruled out, with Marvel Stadium doubtful, due to Cricket.

I'm a little confused here: are they talking about moving the next season forward or back? The article on womens.afl says an 'earlier' start, but surely they're not going to play another season this year. Delaying the 2023 season until August makes way more sense if that's when they're planning to get going.
Bre Koenen was on the Lions podcast today, talking about starting preseason in May, with potentially only a 1 month (or less) break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back