Training 2022 Pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

On AFL Daily yesterday Damien Barratt picked us for the flag, and his current offsider Nathan Schmock had us as the losing grand finalist... Definitely the most preseason hype I can remember.
I think a lot have us losing to Melbourne in the Grand Final.

I am not so brave to pick us for the flag but I reckon we're a decent chance of finishing top of the ladder. We've proven to be a very good home and away side, we got a relatively fair fixture and we're going into the season with all bar one of our key players available. Clearly top 4 is the minimum expected (assuming a fair run with injuries).

In terms of the flag, I can see why we're picked to lose the grand finals. It is the obvious prediction for a young but highly performing side who has made top 4 regularly, but hasn't necessarily proven themselves as finals performers. I don't think anyone expects our recent finals losses to continue but it is a big step for the pundits to go from "they can't win a final" to "they will win a flag". To be frank, I'm probably of the same view. Having said that, I know that if we make the grand final, I will back us in to win it.

So I think we deserve the expectations being put on us. I actually think it will help Fagan take the list from hope and optimism to supremely confident in their own capability. I reckon we saw our 2001 side embrace the expectation going into 2002 and turning it into high performance. This group can do the same this year IMO.

I think a lot have us losing to Melbourne in the Grand Final.
That's what I've seen too. I think it's unlikely that it's the matchup, but it definitely seems a plausible and maybe most likely pick at this stage.

That's what I've seen too. I think it's unlikely that it's the matchup, but it definitely seems a plausible and maybe most likely pick at this stage.

I think having Melbourne as favourites over us at this stage is very fair. We'll see how opinions change as the season progresses, but I'd absolutely love to see our best 22 v their best 22 at one point in the season. Hopefully things work out and both teams are fit and firing when they face off.

I think having Melbourne as favourites over us at this stage is very fair. We'll see how opinions change as the season progresses, but I'd absolutely love to see our best 22 v their best 22 at one point in the season. Hopefully things work out and both teams are fit and firing when they face off.
We could easily play them 3 or even 4 times this year, if both teams make the grand final. Getting waaaay ahead of myself here but we've got two home and away clashes and a good chance of at least 1 final. If that final is in week 1, then the grand final is a possibility.

wait for all the "too small, will never survive at AFL level, etc, etc"
Well, if it makes him drop further down the draft board, then great. I’m all for that.

But then again:

4. Collingwood: Nick Daicos

Height: 182cm

Weight: 73kg

wait for all the "too small, will never survive at AFL level, etc, etc"
Sounds fair. Just too short to be a premium midfielder in the modern game. Cant see how anyone will want to bid a first round pick on him. All my worries about not having enough points to match an early first will have been unwarranted. Such a shame if we have to match a bid in the second or third round instead.
gosh.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must be time for a 2022 Draft thread ;)

Join a team who could be a top four team for years to come or join one of West Coast, Gold Coast, North Melbourne or Adelaide. Hard choice, really.

Join a team who could be a top four team for years to come or join one of West Coast, Gold Coast, North Melbourne or Adelaide. Hard choice, really.

It's also whether he will be able to play AFL games or not if he gets up to Brisbane, whereas he's guaranteed to play senior games at the other clubs. Bit annoying but not much we can do about it. I'm sure the Lions have done everything they can to accomodate him.

It's also whether he will be able to play AFL games or not if he gets up to Brisbane, whereas he's guaranteed to play senior games at the other clubs. Bit annoying but not much we can do about it. I'm sure the Lions have done everything they can to accomodate him.
He’s locked in, nothing to worry about.

Must be time for a 2022 Draft thread ;)

Friggin annoying that they finished the story, without showing the end of the 20 meter sprint.

You could really start seeing Will, power drive his legs, as the video finished. Very good technique (observation from someone who knows diddly squat).

In your opinion do you believe he'll good enough to break into our team from day one?

If Will isn't a Lion I'll shout everyone on this board a Lion's membership.

He's a lock.

If Will isn't a Lion I'll shout everyone on this board a Lion's membership.

He's a lock.
I'm pretty certain he'll be at the club either way, more so how he stacks up with other gun 17 year olds. Is he in the same tier as a Daicos and Horne-Francis at 17?

In your opinion do you believe he'll good enough to break into our team from day one?
That’s a hard one. I wouldn’t want him in the middle from the get go. I’d have him on a wing or half forward if a spot opens up.

I’m not worried that he’ll want games from the get go. I expect Wilmot and Lohman feel the same. As well as Dev and Ah Chee.

You can look at our list and see that Robinson and possibly Zorko will be overtaken in the next season or two. Rich and Lyons possibly in two to three seasons.

After this years draft, we can concentrate on talls over the next couple of drafts.

I'm pretty certain he'll be at the club either way, more so how he stacks up with other gun 17 year olds. Is he in the same tier as a Daicos and Horne-Francis at 17?
That’s hard to compare, because Will basically lost most of his U16 and U17 seasons to covid lockdowns, while Horne-Francis didn’t.

I actually don’t remember Daicos as a 17 year old.

But just going off Will’s two U17 challenge games last year, I’d say he’s easily in the same tier as Daicos.

This season might see more top end talent compared to last season, if the other Vic boys live up to their potential.

Pretty sure GC will want the younger Hollands brother.

And I hope they want to overpay (in second round picks) for our first round pick, so they can draft a KPD late in the first round of the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back