News Luke Beveridge meltdown in post game press conference, launches an extraordinary tirade at Tom Morris, apologises

Should Luke Beveridge be suspended?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Bingo.
Jesse Hogan's take is quite interesting too

image-from-ios-jpg.1346090
You're a Bulldogs supporter and a moderator on this forum. You have the same type of conflict of interest Bevo was claiming Morris had.

#StandByBevo

#6403 days

"Just doing his job" - lulz

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight, ol' chap

Your coach has made a goose of himself, you are allowed to admit it.

Maybe his time would have been better spent actually working out how to stop Petracca and not let him run around by himself dominating the game for the second time in a row, rather than berating journalists or trying to play selection mind games with his players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love it.
Coaches sticking up for their club is great. Bevo even mentioned what other journos would do in the same situation (aka Sam Edmund).

I think there might be an element of forging an "us against them" environment at the club too.

Can that be sustained for a full season and finals though?

Full video: 'Gutter journalism': Bevo storms out after extraordinary outburst

Full transcript:

Speaking in his scheduled press conference afterwards, Beveridge was asked by Morris about the circumstances leading to Hunter's place in the side. He replied with the following comments:

"You've got the nerve to ask me a question and even be here. You've been preying on us the last two times. You barrack for Melbourne, Tom Morris. You've been preying on us. You've been opening us up, causing turmoil within our football club by declaring our team well before it needs to be declared. Is that the way Fox want you to operate? Is that what you're doing? Is that the gutter journalist you want to be? Is that who you want to be?

"We went in with a plan. We had some late stuff go on, with JJ unfortunately coming out in the warm-up. Everything other than that was according to plan from the Sunday, which somehow you found out about again. We need to get to the bottom of this. Obviously, we need to put our hand up and say that there's some leakage going on. But you're preying on it and it's a team you barrack for. Your conflict of interest here is considerable. And yet, your gutter journalism at the moment is killing us behind the scenes.

"The health and wellbeing of people in the game is caught up in all of this stuff. We've got things to concentrate on performance-wise, we've got to look after our own, and then you cause all of this muck-raking trash that happens behind the scenes. Names get brought up into it. All we're doing it planning for a football game. Are you proud of yourself? You're proud of yourself? Wow. That's enough, that's enough. Next question please. You're not welcome. Well, have you got enough boys and girls? I think we're probably done, aren't we?

"This is what happens, because I know … if you found something out, you'd ring (head of communications) Adrian Ceddia and say, 'look I know this … just so you know that I know … something has happened and it's got out'. The courtesy and the integrity and the ethical way to go about it has happened in the past. Now this bloke here and what he's doing, it's giving everyone else a bad name. Right when we're trying to stabilise our competition and what we do, with everything that's gone on behind the scenes and us as coaches and a football program with the soft cap situation as it is, and this sort of stuff happens. You're an embarrassment to what you do, mate. You're an embarrassment. An absolute embarrassment."

Beveridge then left his press conference without any further questions.

I thought he was very measured despite being clearly angry

Personally, I don't need football turned into Woman's Day and wish those types of journalists are shunned out of the game.

You're a Bulldogs supporter and a moderator on this forum. You have the same type of conflict of interest Bevo was claiming Morris had.
I don't mod the main board, but if it makes you feel better I'll forgo my substantial BigFooty salary for an entire day.

I'd suspect a possible suspension, along with a fine, tbh. You can't go threatening journalists, anymore than you can go threatening umpires. If Toby Greene shoulder bumping an umpire is 'bringing the game into disrepute'...then that incident is basically 'turning the game into a dumpster fire.'
He didn't threaten him.

Can that be sustained for a full season and finals though?
Probably not, but if it works for a week (and no doubt it will be a difficult one after losing the opening round of the season) it's probably enough until he can find something else.
Coaches are weird, and Bevo is one of the weirder examples.

Are you 12?

Maybe his time would have been better spent actually working out how to stop Petracca and not let him run around by himself dominating the game for the second time in a row, rather than berating journalists or trying to play selection mind games with his players.

as a coach one's priority is the game but their is still sufficient bandwidth to set standards with journalists

Giving a roast and limiting content makes it very clear to al, that the coach believes journalists crossed the line

Bevo is a big sook but Morris deserved it.
Fox Sport Manager - "Tom, you were given the leak but you chose not to run with it. Why?"
Tom - "I didn't want to upset Luke"
Manager - "So Tom Browne ended up with the story..."

I thought he was very measured despite being clearly angry

Personally, I don't need football turned into Woman's Day and wish those types of journalists are shunned out of the game.

This wasn’t a woman’s day scenario. He was simply reporting on team selection, it’s about as pre game football related news as you can get, and he was right.

He's following up the news he reported about Hunter being out of the side.
The late change shenanigans only added fuel to that fire.

Luke Beveridge is not in a position to order journalists to leave an AFL press conference.
He can put up the wall and refuse to answer a journos questions but he doesn't get to order them around.

The simple fix would have been to explain to the fans (who Morris is asking the question for) why Hunter appears to be on the edge of selection and how he can secure his place in the team. A little transparency would have gone a long, long way here.

Morris was shit stirring and muck racking. The question had **** all to do with anything once the game was played and over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree with your premise. I like coaches standing up for the club. I loved it when Bomber said "All of you" and stood up for Brad Ottens, I loved it in the past when Bevo defended Tom Boyd.

You're here to try and stick the boots in, I get that, but don't sook just because someone disagrees with you.

Morris quickly took over Chief Fox Scumbag when purple took more of a back seat.

I'm not fully across the "leak" but if Morris is leaking stuff in the press that he hasn't even at least notified the dogs admin about than he isn't doing his job properly and deserved the wack. Noting though Bevo could have been a bit more professional in doing so.

I disagree with your premise. I like coaches standing up for the club. I loved it when Bomber said "All of you" and stood up for Brad Ottens, I loved it in the past when Bevo defended Tom Boyd.

You're here to try and stick the boots in, I get that, but don't sook just because someone disagrees with you.

100% and honestly this is a storm in a teacup. Why should coached have to worry about some rubbish journalists leaking rubbish? They are there to coach that's it.

#StandByBevo

#6403 days

"Just doing his job" - lulz

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight, ol' chap

Bevo will build a new wing on his Toorak mansion with the money from Tom's defo payout!

Dees thoroughly beat us but it wasn't due to being 2nd to the ball. Throttled us on turnovers from bad f50 entries.
Yep - Dees have the best defensive zone in the game.
Combine that with our terrible F50 entries and that's where the game was won and lost.

I think the real issue that will see Bevo in some trouble is that he pretty clearly accused Tom Morrison of deliberately hounding his team in some effort to destabilise them when they play Melbourne. That’s a pretty big accusation to level at a journalist - even one of those yuck ones like Morrison whose job it is to seek out gossipy little pieces in an effort to build drama.

Back