Autopsy 2022 Rd 6 - Never in it. Blues disappoint in the West.

Who played well for the Blues in Round 6 vs the Dockers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not saying we are winning the premiership but Richmond in 2017 lost 4 in a row and lost another game that year to the saints by 75. Teams need losses to improve and realise what their weaknesses are. I believe our bottom 6-8 is what hurts us, our top few are easily good enough for a premiership, especially the guy that wears the number 9 how bloody good is he!!!.

Freo are a good side Pitto sos Kennedy McGovern and I count stocker as an out too. Fyfe is probably the only one they had our. Combine that with the fact they matchup well on us I don’t see this as a bad loss but a loss we needed to show voss how bad of a running side we are.

I don’t know if the problems can be solved this year for a flag but they can be solved for this side to win one in the next 3-4 years.

I pay good money, I want to see the baby ride the bike.

Why is that so much to ask?

giphy.gif

Honey may play in the two's this week, then it will take him a month to get match fit. Don't think he has ever played on the wing and very much doubt he has the tank for it. Honey is a powerful athlete who is suited to playing in the forward line and he has the attributes to be a real point of difference for us.
Don't write off LOB just yet, I and others still have high hopes for him. He has the tank and his deadly left. I would be picking him this week over Newnes and against a poor team, I expect him to do very well.

LOB is a write-off. I know some people aren't there yet, but it's only a matter of time. He doesn't have a deadly left consistently - he fluffs as many kicks as he nails. He is a completely ineffective runner, can't tackle, can't break a tackle, isn't fast or powerful enough to find/create space, no composure, poor decision-maker. He has literally done nothing to suggest AFL quality player. The only reason some still hope is that he was pick 10. His VFL performance last week summed him up. Basic turnovers in D50 resulting in goals... An attempt to shepherd in our forward-line that took out his teammate and resulted in LOB slipping and landing on his face. That's LOB to a T.

Neither Newnes or LOB will be in our next successful side. Both are ordinary players at AFL level. IMO, Newnes is more useful now bc he can at the very least put his body in. Newnes had 10 score involvements last week. Wasn't all bad.

Last edited:
If top players of each side are even then yes.

Take Charlie, Harry, Wieters, Cripps and Walsh out and make our bottom 6 better than anyones, we would be a bottom side.

When you become a finals side, this is the philosophy which comes into play…

Parko always had top end talent, the bottom 6 players on the team sheet were the difference between winning and losing a prelim…

Wingers are normally damaging kicks in a chain of play and are two way runners between the arcs who can over lap and spread when needed, providing extra pressure at the stoppage when needed and make a side tick with their intensity and work rate. It’s not even about being overly quick.

Setterfield is none of these things.
Newnes is none of these things.
LOB is some of these things, but isn’t consistent with those things.
Walsh is all of those things.
Docherty could play wing again if Stocker is in.
Carroll seems to have traits.

Bottom line is we need to get 2-3 outside runners with these traits, it’s been a need for a number of years.
Too much of those who are predominantly inside mids. It will help our half backs/back 6 transition the ball better and achieve better movement when it happens.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Pittonet got injured. Big deal.
Thats what backup ruckmen are for.
Bring Mirkov in.
How bad could he be if hes playing VFL.
The guy is 210 cm for heavens sake
The people who are concerned at the amount of time Kennedy spends on the bench are going to be positively apoplectic at how much time mirkov would spend there at current fitness/strength levels.

Wingers are normally damaging kicks in a chain of play and are two way runners between the arcs who can over lap and spread when needed, providing extra pressure at the stoppage when needed and make a side tick with their intensity and work rate. It’s not even about being overly quick.

Bottom line is we need to get 2-3 outside runners with these traits, it’s been a need for a number of years.
Too much of those who are predominantly inside mids. It will help our half backs/back 6 transition the ball better and achieve better movement when it happens.
Carroll

Our best bet this year is to push Walsh/Cerra out to the wing for long periods and introduce new players into the midfield, imo.. It's a collective - all part of having a strong starting midfield. Taking into account available players, I think they'll probably bring Dow in and push one of Walsh/Cerra to wing as a first experiment, and I'm expecting Carroll to replace one of Newnes/Cotts/Setters as well - playing midfield/wing.

Last edited:

Docherty could play wing again if Stocker is in.
Carroll seems to have traits.

I'm not sure it's the answer long-term, but I wonder whether Ed Curnow is part of the picture when he returns. He is not the damaging kick we need, but ticks a lot of the other boxes, especially work rate and intensity. Just reckon we need a few more gut runners to give us a release kick rather than the standard long kick down the boundary. While it isn't ideal, Walsh, Docherty and Curnow seem a more competitive option on the wings than Newnes, Setterfield and Cotts. And we would still have Cripps, Kennedy, Cerra and Hewett in the guts.

Harry's been pretty important late in the close ones this year. A portion of his goals are now going to Charlie.

I am far more concerned about Owies and Durdin. Durdin's smart and a hard worker, but you cannot be a pressure forward by yourself. You need at least two others who also bring the pain around the balldrop, and you need teammates who don't over commit to the ball instead of ensuring that the next tackle is taken care of.

Owies is looking slow, unable to find separation, unable to kick further than 30m, and easy to shrug off. Jack is really too slow and not agile enough to be a pressure forward, even with all the will in the world.

We desperately need Motlop to come in and have an impact, almost immediately.
What makes me laugh is we will happily kick it to smalls trying from a kick in who is covered yet we hapy bomb it long to a tall and not look for short options going fwd -- this just shows what a cluster F$&@ our ball movement is ..
there is as many kick ins to defend or launch from as centre bounces hope they spend as much time perfecting them this next off season as they have tried with centre clearance

A league ruckman would run him ragged and bash into him so badly he probably wouldn’t make it to half time in a league game especially next week against Goldstein and Xerri.

A league ruckman would run him ragged and bash into him so badly he probably wouldn’t make it to half time in a league game especially next week against Goldstein and Xerri.
Itll be with DeKonig so he'll have help.
What was he recruited for if not to play seniors?
Give him a chance, no?
It looks
Like Pittonet?

Back