Autopsy 2022 Rd 6 - Never in it. Blues disappoint in the West.

Who played well for the Blues in Round 6 vs the Dockers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Interestingly I'm not as frustrated as I was last week. Took me 2 night to post my thoughts last week but this time tbh I probably could've last night without issue. Anyhow.

I've felt this coming. I flagged it a week or 2 ago, our forward entries are still quite basic. Just bombing it to Curnow & McKay. When they're taking contested marks it looks a million bucks, when they're not, that's when teams have come back. Only 1 time I recall hitting a lead inside 50 and that was TDK of all people to Charlie. Need to look at this.

Pitto has shown how important he is. Maybe our most. We lost control of the game the moment he went out.

Time to move past Setterfield. He shows time and time again that he's slow, laconic and plays with a very low motor. I'm glad he

We need wingmen. That's our next list building step.

Cripps was huge. He tried to put the team on his back, no one lifted with him. In the 3rd and start of the 4th it was peak Cripps. But he was a lone ranger.

Walsh's numbers have been great, but his influence is still down on last yr.

Durdin is non-competitive in 1v1 aerial contests. Just allows his man to mark the ball uncontested.

Our transition obviously needs work. Once the ball is held in our d50 it stays there. All we have is dump kicks out and hope, no real avenue for defense to attack at all.

In all I think this game showed where we are at. Vossy has got us started by implementing the foundations of what we'll be: A contest winning team. Now we can see what needs work around it. Doing that and still being 4-2 is amazing. The next phase is adding the layers to our game, which appears to be transition and finesse inside 50.

On a side note, was it you that nominated Gethelred as a spec mod???

Geez this place is really going to the dogs….. :p:tongueclosed:
I had no idea we could nominate..........would have tipped in michael jez.........

So Pittonet got injured. Big deal.
Thats what backup ruckmen are for.
Bring Mirkov in.
How bad could he be if hes playing VFL.
The guy is 210 cm for heavens sake

It is a big deal.

Hopefully as Vossy seems to think that it's only a corkie.

So Pittonet got injured. Big deal.
Thats what backup ruckmen are for.
Bring Mirkov in.
How bad could he be if hes playing VFL.
The guy is 210 cm for heavens sake
A league ruckman would run him ragged and bash into him so badly he probably wouldn’t make it to half time in a league game especially next week against Goldstein and Xerri.

Think most of us see it.

Too much left to too few. We have maybe 8 or so players who we consistently get enough out of, and I mean more or less each week. That is simply nowhere near good enough. If our top 12 or so don't play really well, we will be shown up against decent teams, because our bottom 6-8 are not at the level (bottom 6-8 level) most of the time.

We know our wings are an issue and there is not much we can do about it. Carroll will get a game next week for either/or so that's a good start. I've defended Setters this year and stand by that, but he was god-awful last night except for that pass to Cripps. Looking forward to getting Cuningham back eventually - we are desperate for his type. Surprised we haven't moved Saad up to the wing, but it would hurt our defence - having a great season.a Feel they should try Honey on the wing too - utilise his exceptional athletic ability. Will be disappointed if they revert to LOB - nothing move.

McKay turns to water yet again against a physical opponent. Sure people will make excuses for him, but it's his thing. He can't handle physical pressure - not consistently anyway. I harp on about it. Currently overrated.

The beauty of TDK is that he is courageous and gives effort. I prefer a Charlie/TDK/JSOS combo tbh. Give me consistent effort any day.

Weiters just a good player this year. Great backmen back themselves to mark and create, while beating their opponents. Good/very good defenders stop their opponents getting goals only. Weiters is more the latter, which isn't enough from him.

Durdin is young and has traits to be a good player. We need to keep an eye on the future, bc we simply don't have the cattle atm. He stays for mine. With an eye to the future, Owies goes for Motlop.

Williams is disappointing. Also doesn't go hard enough, but is definite best 22.

Players who we see in our future should be picked if those in their positions in the senior team are not predicted to be part of our next GF team, imo.
Honey may play in the two's this week, then it will take him a month to get match fit. Don't think he has ever played on the wing and very much doubt he has the tank for it. Honey is a powerful athlete who is suited to playing in the forward line and he has the attributes to be a real point of difference for us.
Don't write off LOB just yet, I and others still have high hopes for him. He has the tank and his deadly left. I would be picking him this week over Newnes and against a poor team, I expect him to do very well.

De Konig was ok. Until we replace personel on the outside with more skill we will not have a plan b. Freo have an inside and outside game

I liked TDKs game, even though he was beaten in hit outs he worked his guts out and made a contest unlike against GC.

He reminds me of Tim English 2-3 years ago.

3?
we’re not the 3rd best team in the comp.

We are borderline top 8.

Main difference to last year is we have fit Cripps, fit Charlie and now have Cerra and Hewett. On the flip side we have no Jones.

Give Teague same side and I think we’d roughly be about the same. Not saying Vossy doing a bad job, far from it, but we are a work in progress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, HBF’s need to play tighter. Number one job defend first…

I remember Parko once saying, we are only as good as our bottom 6….

I will always agree with this…

If top players of each side are even then yes.

Take Charlie, Harry, Wieters, Cripps and Walsh out and make our bottom 6 better than anyones, we would be a bottom side.

100% agree.

Last night showed again we can actually hold up the runs ons but because we really struggle to generate forward entries from open play - unless it’s off the back of stoppage clearance work - eventually the sheer weight opposition forward entries wears us down.

Freo on the flip side can generate inside 50s from stoppages and turnovers so I think if Darcy went down as opposed to Pitto they still would have won because they don’t rely so heavily on any one method unlike us.

I’ve been against changing players positionally too much because they would have been prepared physically and mentally to play certain positions but it might be time to consider some positional changes such as Saad, Doc or even Williams further up the ground to give us a bit more of a dynamic look going forward.

If Darcy went down instead of Pitt, we may of had a quarter of total domination which may of been enough.

Interestingly, we had the top 5 ball winners on the ground, but then had 10 players with 9 disposals or less. Too much left to too few. Time to reward some of the VFL form I think.

Even before looking at the stats that’s what it looked like, our best players standing up but too much left to too few.

We knew coming into the season our lack of quality wings and small forwards, and lack of ruck depth, but no list is perfect and those guys can be found through trades/drafting and can often find gems late in draft or rookie lists.

Yep, if you’re going to be a fairly limited footballer, you need to be absolutely clinical and reliable in the things you do well. Owies can’t afford to be dropping chest marks, missing gettable set shots or not sticking tackles, which he has done too often so far this season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Owies is like a lesser version of Matthew Wright. He makes the most of what he has but I can’t see him being a long term player.

A place holder for Motlop and maybe Durdin while he matures.

Bad luck Blues. Just wanted to point out the obvious that Cripps is a gun. Not sure how the Brownlow votes will fall but he was clearly the best player on the ground and in the game. Fyfe got 3 votes a few years ago in a loss to the Hawks and I reckon Cripps is deserving in this game.

Agreed, Walsh got BOG in some losses last year so hopefully umpires have changed their tune on just giving 3 votes to someone on winning team.

Freo more even contribution which is why they won, but Brownlow isn’t a team award.

Dockers look good, very hard working, good pace and great tackling.

Our key ballwinners got it, but gave it up under pressure or to floaty kicks. Our non ball winners just couldnt get to it. 10 odd players
Need some aggression in the back 6 too.

And far out can the fowards stop leading to eht same spot or congregating.

For the aggression in defence, Stocker will help.

Only caught some of the game, but figuring out who those last 6-8 players that get selected every week is a painpoint for most clubs until they reach sustained success. May take the whole season, may take two but it shouldn't impede them from playing finals.

Yes, was the part we never got right under Ratts

Back