Autopsy 2023 Rd 17 Resurgent Blues smack the Dockers in the West

Who played well for the Blues in Round 17 vs the Dockers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We beat up on s**t teams, which should be a par score only. If we loose all upcoming games against Port, pies and melb then nothing has changed.

Need to jag at least 2 to show improvement.

Freo aren't a sh&t team....especially at home.

This season they've claimed the scalps of the Swans, the Cats, the Dees and the Drug Cheats.

Three of those teams are in the 8.

Best win of the year by far.

Many great moments but to me the standout was a fumbling Jack Martin crunching in at the contest in the middle of the ground at the start of the third quarter that resulted in a goal. If we weren't home and hosed then it definitely set the standard for the second half and ensured our victory.
And the victim was 200cm, 100kg+ Freo Captain, Alex Pearce!

Probably been mentioned to death, but the additions of Fogarty, Cuningham and Martin - they all provide something unique with their talents - and its working so well.

Durdin, Motlop & (hopefully never again regardless) Ed Curnow have a lot to work on to get back into this side.

Awesome win for what could have been a danger game in terms of belief and confidence.

Pressure on the ball carrier was elite across the board and some personnel changes have made a positive difference.

Some individuals of note:

Jsos and Young: Thought Young did really well at ground level and had some crucial handballs out of contests and just seemed to be more determined than he has been. Should be a picture of Jack in the dictionary under the word effort.

While I thought JAck M and Cunners were quieter they and guys like Fog and Owies really brought that stifling forward pressure that Freo just couldn’t deal with (Third week in a row now, keep it going fellas).

While i haven’t been a fan of Harry further up the ground have to say I was wrong and his mobility and selfless play in that it’s not all about goals is really benefiting the team. Also don’t think i’ve seen Charlie chase that much ever.

Weiters back to his best, hope Kennedy is not too long out as he was just hitting his straps again and same with Gov, hopefully he can get back for the next game and keep that continuity.

Edit: Forgot to mention Cotts in that forward group, a player with pace and stamina who is using his tools well to keep pressure on the opposition.

Last edited:
Pleasing to win 3 in a row - we’ve beat up 3 teams we’ve realistically should have beaten up on - the test of course is Port Adelaide and our traditional response in these games has been folding up like a cheap tent - I think it’s a totally fair response not to get too excited till then so I’ll reserve judgement till then. ;)

However I can advise that my traditional response after winning the game was marching around the lounge room in front of the TV pretty much like this:

:p

Confused?

Not at all, but unlike some, I don't accept 8 or 9 games of utter, sub standard rubbish that'll likely cost us finals.

And yes, the Coaching group, the senior coach especially, should be heavily scrutinized if we don't get there.

I'm not whining at all, just looking at the reality.
You are right to a degree.

But if Vossy has learnt from his mistakes this year and can keep this up we continue on the same path.

There is nothing wrong with failing and making mistakes AS LONG as you learn from it........

The fullness of time will tell

You are right to a degree.

But if Vossy has learnt from his mistakes this year and can keep this up we continue on the same path.

There is nothing wrong with failing and making mistakes AS LONG as you learn from it........

The fullness of time will tell

yep think there was a bit of this, we planned to play certain way, and few rounds in it was realised that it wouldn't work. So they've spent the last 8 games trying to re-gig the structure and style.

And the victim was 200cm, 100kg+ Freo Captain, Alex Pearce!
Jack's pretty slight, but he's always been as hard as nails.....

And if you're a defender and you know that a guy like Martin has no qualms in lining up a guy Pearce's size, you'll be thinking twice during games if Jack's in the vicinity!

Jack's pretty slight, but he's always been as hard as nails.....

And if you're a defender and you know that a guy like Martin has no qualms in lining up a guy Pearce's size, you'll be thinking twice during games if Jack's in the vicinity!
Pretty slight alright..... Not sure how he keeps pinging calves. :think:

He doesn't look like he has calf muscles o_O Just skin and bone ;)

It is great to have him back..... put simply he makes us better and couldn't agree more about his physicality, TOUGH!

Just going to post this again as a baseline:
That was a bit better, but again it's important to remember that Hawthorn are a structurally weak opposition that are winding down for the year. We're still not rotating players smartly enough in and between games, and I really hope we refine this and stop losing so many key players to injury.

:whitecheck: Martin playing a full game with decent minutes
:whitecheck: Cuningham being involved and showing his utter class, repeatedly to the disbelief of Dwayne Russell
:whitecheck: Cerra being in Brownlow form
:whitecheck: Cripps showing some class and (usually) smart run
:whitecheck: Jack slotting in nicely
:whitecheck: Harry just does not stop working, goal kicking an issue but part technique, part confidence, part chronic groin injury
:whitecheck: Charlie also very solid and very smartly managed by being subbed out
:whitecheck: Fogarty playing the Fisher role better than anyone on our list ever has
:whitecheck: Walsh getting to the outside more
:whitecheck: Docherty getting behind the ball more
:whitecheck: Weitering, McGovern and Kemp getting in the play more

:minus: Kennedy's body not holding up well against strength/endurance speed mix on-ball unit again, no consistent second position despite his smarts
:minus: Cincotta and Boyd still failing to feature as much as you'd like given their offensive weaponry

❌ Young often terrified of marking the ball
:crossmark: Cripps and Walsh still have incredibly selfish moments of play in how they demand and carry the ball, trust in team mates required
❌ Ed makes no sense to me when Docherty could be more behind the ball and Walsh could be more on the wing... surely space for Dow in that paradigm
Which leads to:

:whitecheck: Harry worked on his technique issues that had crept up this season, confidence rose... movement was more conservative at times which probably helped with pain levels during repeated kicking actions across the game
:whitecheck: Charlie benefited immensely from last week's substitution
:whitecheck: Young persisted in concentrating on his ball handling and releasing others into space by hand and foot through the game, confidence soared
:whitecheck: Readily controlled the stoppages despite the inability to win hitouts: viable and arguably more successful strategy than our 2-ruck system due to the extra mobility in our off the ball movement

➖ Cottrell cooks almost every I50 kick he makes, but somewhat makes up for it by getting onto the end of chains to get a goal... seems to be aware of it at least and is handballing more in the forward wing area

:crossmark: We didn't rotate the squad despite being aware of issues (extra travelling emergency) and we lost two players to injury, notably Kennedy after he again started to look fatigued and sore leading into the incident where he put himself in a vulnerable position by running into a contest while off-balance

6 day break and our fatigue/effort levels demand we make some smart rotations this week or we'll put the pressure to spread and chase on too few for too much of the game and go back into old habits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not pretending at all. I stated this group was capable of 13-15 wins, but I won't melt like the world is ending if we miss finals, nor will it change how I critique a weekly game
Interesting from age and experience demographic when you think the list is and should be challenging for a top 4 position and ultimately a premiership?

Not pretending at all. I stated this group was capable of 13-15 wins, but I won't melt like the world is ending if we miss finals, nor will it change how I critique a weekly game
not much of a supporter.........

I should float harder in each direction of the extremity line?
any win we have won't quell my skepticism, every loss confirms it..........:drunk:

in the event of missing finals and a better alternate Coach is available, 100% right.

Just reinforces my thoughts

If we only drop 2 more games for the year, miss on percentage, in the eyes of many will be that Voss can't coach and should be sacked

Can't see Cook/Sayers adopting that mentality

Back