Autopsy 2023 Rd 17 Resurgent Blues smack the Dockers in the West

Who played well for the Blues in Round 17 vs the Dockers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Players make coaches. Its up to them to keep it going.
The coach just helps them make him look capable.
And thats how its always been.
Not even a little bit.

It's great to see the Voss improvement. I'm loving it. It's great to see the player improvement. It's all looking quite nice and something has certainly clicked recently. But this notion that players 'make' coaches as an absolute rule is nonsense. Some players have made coaches. More coaches have made players.

Just from memory (ha ha) some of our losses were due in part from a lack of conversion in the first quarter. The ability to pressure the oppo into multiple defensive errors extending our time in forward half has been terrific to watch.
Weits put it well - they upped the forward pressure and that's helped them create more convertible shots closer and more in front.

Not even a little bit.

It's great to see the Voss improvement. I'm loving it. It's great to see the player improvement. It's all looking quite nice and something has certainly clicked recently. But this notion that players 'make' coaches as an absolute rule is nonsense. Some players have made coaches. More coaches have made players.

I wouldn't think it comes down to a player or even a few but a list in their prime is generally the main ingredient for any coach to succeed

I wouldn't think it comes down to a player or even a few but a list in their prime is generally the main ingredient for any coach to succeed
List needs a coach just as much as a coach needs a list. Just tired of this one sided internet logic. All 100% one thing and 0 the other.

But if we're talking Prems then yeah the list has to be in a prime range

List needs a coach just as much as a coach needs a list. Just tired of this one sided internet logic. All 100% one thing and 0 the other.

But if we're talking Prems then yeah the list has to be in a prime range
I havent seen where anyone says its all one or the other.
Parkin has a bit to say on the whole notion but I doubt its that simple and he more likely is being a little too self deprecating.

The right players can make a coach a success.
The wrong players and the coach can do little.

He usually runs at least 10 metres before he kicks it so you should be deducting at least 500-550 metres off and he would even be in the top 10 metres gained on the ground.

The comparison to Cripps and Walsh metres gained isn’t relevant given they tend to handball more than they kick. If you want a better comparison Cerra had 708 metres gained without taking a single kick in.

Also kicking accuracy is easy when you are hitting lazy switch kicks all day long, usually after taking an uncontested mark, while other players are judged lower as they have to take rushed kicks under direct opposition pressure in open play.

Actually switch kicks don't really gain metres so Im not sure he was hitting up switch kicks. His metres gained suggest the majority of kicks went forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just reinforces my thoughts

If we only drop 2 more games for the year, miss on percentage, in the eyes of many will be that Voss can't coach and should be sacked

Can't see Cook/Sayers adopting that mentality

Not saying he should be sacked per se, but I'd certainly be scanning who else is out there....

Just can't see Voss getting us to where we want to get (deep in finals/flags).

Not saying he should be sacked per se, but I'd certainly be scanning who else is out there....

I think if we aren't prudently reviewing all coaching/fitness/support every year (not make change for the sake of making change) for the next few years until we achieve some stable success (final 3+ years in a row) that'll be quite silly. Retrospectively reviewing everything and learning afforded from such a mechanism is important.

The errors clubs make with sacking coaches etc is not reviewing improvement correctly. Hardwick was showing the gradual improvement every season and was afforded a life / blip year because of a solid history of.improvement.

If we miss and finish 9/10th but the review deems the club as a whole, not just performance, is improving and that Voss himself is getting better a manager, motivator etc etc then there's no way we should move on. However if they deem we were better run, had better standards etc last season then there'll be questions for sure. Just have to wait and see but current trajectory is positive and a spectacular implosion would probably have to occur for anything large to be changed by Cook.

The errors clubs make with sacking coaches etc is not reviewing improvement correctly. Hardwick was showing the gradual improvement every season and was afforded a life / blip year because of a solid history of.improvement.

If we miss and finish 9/10th but the review deems the club as a whole, not just performance, is improving and that Voss himself is getting better a manager, motivator etc etc then there's no way we should move on. However if they deem we were better run, had better standards etc last season then there'll be questions for sure. Just have to wait and see but current trajectory is positive and a spectacular implosion would probably have to occur for anything large to be changed by Cook.
Yep. Potentially Ratten mark II

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Back