Autopsy Round 7, 2022: Hawks fail against Dees

Remove this Banner Ad

How did they take Gunstons goal away from him? The almighty afl cant use a few go pros around the top of the goal posts so that sort of crap doesn’t ruin a close game? Dunstal Gunston and most of the players thought it went thru. Really pathetic effort in this respect and of course I’m trying to explain to my son the rules of the game and the Melbourne player drops the ball, pushes in the back and I just gave up and told him basically the umpires make up their own rules as they go. Should have still won with all those misses though.
Remember though, the Goal Umpire 'believed it was a point'. When reviews are not concrete they defer to the Goal Umpires call.
Frustrating that we were only 10 points down in the end, but no need to stress about that one.
Playing the 'IF' card...misses from Gunner and Bruest would have won us that game...or Melbourne would have just cracked some more whips??
*edit to add....we've had 3 very big weeks and only fell over once!

Oh and Big Max with the lazy 29 possessions, 6 marks, 35 hitouts and 2 goals today :kissing:

Max when he sees he has the Hawks coming up next week in the draw.....

melbourne football club GIF by Melbournefc

Just kept on saddling up and having a crack at the corridor all game which I loved.
Obviously going to backfire every now and then but just watching the game it felt like we didn’t concede an awful lot from turnovers trying to take the game on as much as from stoppage.

Both teams had a few outs and this is gonna be against the grain with a lot of people in here - but theirs were significantly better players than ours.
Even the inclusion of Jackson and Pickett alone for McDonald and Melksham would’ve had us put to the sword far earlier. They are a great side and have great depth to be able to cover.

We’ve had a deceptively hard fixture in the end so far with North + Port really being the only real poor bottom sides we’ve played. This next stretch of games will be really interesting for us, can’t wait

Loving our new game style. And the boys never give in. Looks like they're really enjoying it.

This is a pleasure to watch and the anticipation for future success is palpable.

"Buckets" didn't do much but that clunk in the 1st qtr and his tenacity in the ruck showed me enough to make me a believer.

I kept telling my wife that we had more outs with injury than they did, so I'm more than pleased with the effort.

It makes being a fan of this team really enjoyable.

Just kept on saddling up and having a crack at the corridor all game which I loved.
Obviously going to backfire every now and then but just watching the game it felt like we didn’t concede an awful lot from turnovers trying to take the game on as much as from stoppage.

Both teams had a few outs and this is gonna be against the grain with a lot of people in here - but theirs were significantly better players than ours.
Even the inclusion of Jackson and Pickett alone for McDonald and Melksham would’ve had us put to the sword far earlier. They are a great side and have great depth to be able to cover.

We’ve had a deceptively hard fixture in the end so far with North + Port really being the only real poor bottom sides we’ve played. This next stretch of games will be really interesting for us, can’t wait
And round 1 was when north were "setting the standard," not playing their current north Melbourne style

Melbourne's depleted side missing five very important players?

I would say fair enough if the five they were missing were Gawn, Fritsch, May, Oliver and Petraca.

Umpiring was infuriating.

I thought Nash was ok, but Oliver did have 33 touches.

Thought Lynch was good in the ruck. Was jumping over Gawn, which is all you can do against him.

Worpel very good.
JOMs best game of the year for us.
Moore is a freak.
Kosi will be a player.
Sicily the next captain.

Now for the Scum.
I thought Nash only had Oliver on lockdown from halfway through 2nd when he had 18 at that stage... Then had the joy of Petracca in last... Good for development regardless... Hope a corky rather than tear???

In terms of structure they weren't significantly better though. Their a system based team which means they can adequately replace players for others that can do a role. ATM we can't rely on systems and structure we need our best players put on the park week to week. Lewis would have been a handful today. We got the ball in often enough that he would have caused real problems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a bit rubbish how the free kicks were so lopsided given we were the ones being scragged off ball, but I'm also less positive on the margin. They were 30 up with 25% of their team missing even if they weren't exactly core players. Good effort to keep contesting, but I thought given their players out I'd have liked to have won more 1 on 1 contests in at least some area of the ground. We are missing some too but Jiath the only that would've made a difference in that area for us.
A few handy outs for us, most perhaps in our best 22
CJ
Big Boy
Reeves
Lewis
Morrison
Phillips
DGB
Ward

Thought I’d have a look at the free kick counts this year based on a new coach and new game plan. Unfortunately nothing’s changed. We still seem to get a s**t run and the best we can hope for it seems is an even count. The Geelong game must have launched an internal investigation at HQ based on the last two weeks

North 25 v 25
Port 17 v 15
Carl 20 v 23
St K 25 v 27
Geel 25 v 18
Syd 22 v 29
Melb 14 v 26

Won 2 quarters against the flag favourites off a 5 day break with plenty of underdone players.

Think this was the most experienced side we have rolled out this year.
Interesting. If so I’d suggest shiels an Howe skew that stat relative to output

Happy with the game overall from our perspective.
Umpires horrible and Ben Browns a flopper,

Loved Moore’s game. Just excellent. Work rate incredible.
Defence, held up generally well. Got exposed on turnovers a few times.
Forward line…..man we miss Mitch Lewis. Kossie worked hard and converted when able.

The bad….Impey looks a LOT slower these days
Love the attacking play, but geez we gifted them chances. That’ll improve, but still frustrating

very proud of that

how about Finn's job on Langdon and Nash on Oliver in the third

we lack that little bit of class to take us over the edge but we had a plan on how to beat this f*n unstoppable Melbourne team and we stuck to it no matter what

a loss always hurts but I'm not gonna be too upset tonight

we continuously managed to stop their momentum at stages too which we haven't been able to earlier in the season. Admittedly third q they got a hold of us but it was nowhere near as bad as some other games. It shows we're learning, improving and developing
Yes really happy with the boys. What we lacked more than the mid field today was a proper marking forward and a forward structure. We really need a power forward and hope Lewis be that. Callow should have played forward and not ruck(OMG - to ask from a first gamer). Gunston kicking is a worry this season and hope he fixes it soon. Some people may not like it but we have to think about Mitchell and O’Meara going forward.

Amazing effort. So tough all game.
Only got really beaten by them when Callow was in the middle, he was way out of his depth at AFL level imo.
Umpires absolutely fleeced us all night, totally favoured Melbourne.
We have got something good brewing with Sam! Go the hawks
I wouldn't blame Callow for that. The kid was asked to ruck against a Premiership ruckman in his first game. He should have played FF where we could have got a chance to see how he goes. That was a poor decision.

Hope that impey and bramble can build match fitness quickly as we would potentially be lethal coming out of defence with those two, cj and day all firing. Lots to look forward to for next week.
Impey is a different player this year and not sure what's wrong with him. Disappointing so far this year.

Impey is a different player this year and not sure what's wrong with him. Disappointing so far this year.
OK in his first 2 games but struggled in the last 2. Probably needed a few more games at Box Hill to get form, touch and confidence. Might be the same for Bramble, but with so many outs hard to criticise their selections.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back