Autopsy Round 9, 2022: St.Kilda v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Tom Browne reporting Steele out for 6-8 weeks.

If true, typical luck
Pure guts to play the second half yesterday on Steele's behalf if that's the case.
Time for our depth to step up. First cab off the rank is Windhager, then Bytel, then Owen's.
If Butler still out unfortunately Kent gets a game, or maybe Clark, but Kent does bring forward pressure.

A point I’d forgotten about last night but in his post game interview Paddy spoke about how he went up to Marshall and just told him “I appreciate your effort and work tonight. I know you’re playing hurt and I appreciate that”

Was asked about what he said to Marshall. Said he knows how it feels to soldier on for the club and that it means a lot when team mates highlight that.

Is he not the ultimate club man

Tom Browne reporting Steele out for 6-8 weeks.

If true, typical luck
How? He played the rest of the game. maybe 1-2 weeks but 6-8. tell him he's dreaming.

Edit: Steele going for surgery on his AC joint. David Rath didn't give a timeframe.

How? He played the rest of the game. maybe 1-2 weeks but 6-8. tell him he's dreaming.

Banger Harvey played out the game when he did his ACL too. He still missed the required recovery time.

So Steele is 6-8 weeks post AC Surgery. And maybe 10 weeks

Browne not known for his accuracy, throws a lot out there. Hope it ain't true

Browne not the only one reporting it now:

St Kilda head of football David Rath praised Steele’s toughness after playing through considerable pain for the second half.

“Jack’s a really tough guy and playing on last night despite his injury is evidence of that,” Head of Football David Rath said.

It’s really disappointing to have Jack out for an extended period of time, but it’s important for him to get the treatment he needs to set him up for the second half of the season.

“He’s a warrior and would continue to play if required, but we need to do what’s right for Jack long-term.

“Jack’s a pro on and off the field and will no doubt attack his rehab professionally, which will hopefully see him back playing as soon as possible.”

The speculation, and unknown, is how long is: It’s really disappointing to have Jack out for an extended period of time,

Clark has taken longer than they originally hoped with his shoulder.

Last edited:
Jack Steele is crazy tough. I did the same injury playing footy when a bit younger and i can tell you that there is no way I would have been taking the field after.
Clark had the same injury and he could barely move (and he is no sook)
Time for bytel, windy or Owens to stand up. On Form I would be letting Owens have a crack but also hope bytel can get a run at the seniors for a few good weeks

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jon Ralph on fox just said Elliott for pies back next week after 6 weeks for same op

#FingersCrossed

Sadly I don't so

Doesn't his family live interstate ?
I reckon if he stays fit there’s a good chance he does. Seems to be loving his time at the club and still playing great footy. The club can work out blocks of time to rest/travel home if he wants it.
You’re a long time retired.

I think Windy holds the spot he earnt in that second half. If Steele misses I think either Butler or Wang-Mil are the first back in. Crouch, Jones, Ross, Gresham, Sinclair and Windhager can share the extra CBAs between them.

Owens, Byrnes and Bytel are probably more outside chances but I think they are unlikey, Owens probably has the best chance given he's been playing both forward and midfeild.
Yeah 💯
Not arguing Windhager holds his spot, but that spot was hff last night.
Didn’t attend a centre bounce.
Too much at stake at bounces, and ratts already loves Gresh in there who plays unaccountably so that’s why I think he will prefer Ross in there with him and crouch.
No doubt windy gets his head over the ball around the ground stoppages.

His 3rd quarter was amazing last night, has really stood up this year and seems to be hungry for the contest

I watched that third quarter twice. Ross and Windhager were massive. Sincs too. Ross can accelerate away from just about anyone this year, his fitness must have gone through the roof. Only one disappointing play where he chase Tuohy all the way from one end to the other then stopped when he thought he'd dish off. Ross looks like he will be in line for a top three in the B and F still.

Jeez how many combined games have we missed from our midfield this year? Ryder, Marshall, Jones, Clark, Billings, now 6-8 for Steele.

Some teams just have a charmed run - looking at you Tigers 17-20 and Dees last two years.

Just wanted to point this out. 2019 they were ****ed by injury and it only made them stronger. We need to do that. Use the opportunity of injury to make our next generation primed to go.

Imagine if Owens and Windy after a block of 4 games were putting out 25 to 30 in the afl and Bytel and Clark had found their form. AND THEN Steele comes back to join leading into finals. We’d win the flag!

Edit: just wanted to point out I still hate the ******* campaigners Richmond. But their 2019 run was underrated in how injury smashed they were in the lead up. Easily forgotten due to how pathetic the giants were that grand final.

Jack Steele is crazy tough. I did the same injury playing footy when a bit younger and i can tell you that there is no way I would have been taking the field after.
Clark had the same injury and he could barely move (and he is no sook)
Time for bytel, windy or Owens to stand up. On Form I would be letting Owens have a crack but also hope bytel can get a run at the seniors for a few good weeks

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I have seen grown men scream the house down from a dislocated shoulder.
You could see by the way Steele held his arm motionless that is what he had done.
But his face never sold it, just casually jogged off.
Looked more annoyed than in pain.

Steele by name, Steel by nature.

I watched that third quarter twice. Ross and Windhager were massive. Sincs too. Ross can accelerate away from just about anyone this year, his fitness must have gone through the roof. Only one disappointing play where he chase Tuohy all the way from one end to the other then stopped when he thought he'd dish off. Ross looks like he will be in line for a top three in the B and F still.
I’ll say it again. Ross’s speed seems to have bloody doubled this year. What the * has the new fitness coach been doing to him? Did we get the old essendon guy?

Pure guts to play the second half yesterday on Steele's behalf if that's the case.
Time for our depth to step up. First cab off the rank is Windhager, then Bytel, then Owen's.
If Butler still out unfortunately Kent gets a game, or maybe Clark, but Kent does bring forward pressure.
I reckon the one silver lining is that we haven't been leaning on Steele to be the only "Mr Fixit" in the middle this year ... we've been playing much more team footy, so it is more realistic to believe that we can find enough oomph within the team to get the job done, as opposed to needing to "find another Steele". Will be interesting to see how we structure our bench and injury sub during his recovery, as this is potentially huge for anyone who chooses to seize the opportunity.

I'm pretty we can cover Steele, assuming that Crouch/Ross/Gresham can keep their current level, Jones runs into more form, and Billings/Windhager can take some CBAs. Beyond that I am hoping that he mids currently stuck at Sandy go hard to earn a spot on the bench and have some quality game time in his absence. We saw Windhager do some great work as the sub last night ... we need Byrnes, Bytel, and Owens to stand up and say "Oi! I'm ready to step up and help get us through this block of games"

You'd think Membrey/Howard will take leadership at their respective ends ... Ross/Crouch probably share the load of keeping the mids on-track?

Would love to see Steele spend some time up in the coaches box, or helping from the interchange bench while he recovers. I suspect sitting a couple of games with Ratten and getting realtime insights into what he sees during games would be valuable for him at ground level once he gets back out there.

I heard someone really going after Ross following the Tuohy play ... upset that he didn't catch him ... but it's really hard to fault his endeavour this year - he looks completely bought-in to what Ratten wants from him, and is going hard at the ball.

So glad to see him turn things around, because he's another one who toiled for little reward in the bleak years, and it's great to see him playing excellent footy in a competitive team.

I heard someone really going after Ross following the Tuohy play ... upset that he didn't catch him ... but it's really hard to fault his endeavour this year - he looks completely bought-in to what Ratten wants from him, and is going hard at the ball.

So glad to see him turn things around, because he's another one who toiled for little reward in the bleak years, and it's great to see him playing excellent footy in a competitive team.
I was actually happy with that tuohy play. he didn't get him but I've never seen him run so hard. absolutely ran his legs out, accelerated about 3 times to try and get him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back