Opinion Non-Crows AFL 5: Save Ken

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a theory that the underlying motive behind the dissent rule is that it's an attempt to hide the poor standard of umpiring.

By getting the players to stand there and show absolutely no emotion over a free kick gives the impression that there's nothing wrong with the free kick and doesn't visibly highlight the terrible ones.

I'll give it a year or two and the broadcasters will be encouraged by the AFL to not highlight questionable free kicks.

The sad thing is that the AFL appear to think that silencing everyone about poor umpiring is easier than actually fixing the problem.
If they want the players to be un-emotive robots on field, I kind of wish the players and coaches would start acting that way off-field too during interviews just to hammer home the point of what they're asking for being ridiculous.

They already silence the coaches and players be fining them if they publicly question it. How many times are coaches asked about the umpiring during pressers and make a "I can't comment on that" retort?

If they want the players to be un-emotive robots on field, I kind of wish the players and coaches would start acting that way off-field too during interviews just to hammer home the point of what they're asking for being ridiculous.

They already silence the coaches and players be fining them if they publicly question it. How many times are coaches asked about the umpiring during pressers and make a "I can't comment on that" retort?
Turning the AFL into Gill the dill's dull personality.

The new CEO (hopefully Gale) should reverse most of the new stupid rules & get back to basics with simplicity that is easier to umpire.

This AFL regime have been more concerned with controlling the narrative than looking after the actual game... which they are ruining for the fans

Turning the AFL into Gill the dill's dull personality.

The new CEO (hopefully Gale) should reverse most of the new stupid rules & get back to basics with simplicity that is easier to umpire.

This AFL regime have been more concerned with controlling the narrative than looking after the actual game... which they are ruining for the fans
A CEO like Andrew Fagan was for us. Only concerned about the $ at the end of the day and let the core product suffer because of it.

I have a theory that the underlying motive behind the dissent rule is that it's an attempt to hide the poor standard of umpiring.

By getting the players to stand there and show absolutely no emotion over a free kick gives the impression that there's nothing wrong with the free kick and doesn't visibly highlight the terrible ones.

I'll give it a year or two and the broadcasters will be encouraged by the AFL to not highlight questionable free kicks.

The sad thing is that the AFL appear to think that silencing everyone about poor umpiring is easier than actually fixing the problem.

And all that will do is increase abuse from the crowd as they enter and leave the field - like they were booed off at half time and end of the game against Brisbane

The focus should be on simplifying the job of the umpires and not on all this ticky touch rubbish that makes them look like fools

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I said in the match thread that replays will be banned at grounds due to ''upsetting the fans''

Spend too much time concentrating on useless shit like if a guy is moving on the mark or throwing his arms out after a free instead of just calling the basic fundamental rules.
Imagine how many free kicks would have been called in the first quarter alone in the geelong v hawthorn grand final in 1989 if it was umpired with todays rules. Easily 150 +

Let’s just break this down because this is a classic example of what I was talking about last night, about how these pricks might know the rule book inside out but they don’t understand the spirit of the game.

You can tell in his head this dickhead thought he had to either call “play on” or pay a 50 against Petracca.

But he didn’t need to do either.

He could’ve just calmed everything down, given both players the benefit of the doubt and told McGovern to just go back and take his kick.

But he ****s that up.

And THEN, when McGovern gets predictably collared, he DOUBLES DOWN and pays deliberate out of bounds.

I don’t care if the deliberate was there or not. You have to understand as an umpire that this is a double whammy to a bloke who did nothing wrong, and in the spirit of the game, you do not pay the deliberate out of bounds in that situation, because it was caused by YOUR **** up.

These umpires are not capable of officiating like this anymore.

They’re just pre-programmed robot pricks.

Let’s just break this down because this is a classic example of what I was talking about last night, about how these pricks might know the rule book inside out but they don’t understand the spirit of the game.

You can tell in his head this dickhead thought he had to either call “play on” or pay a 50 against Petracca.

But he didn’t need to do either.

He could’ve just calmed everything down, given both players the benefit of the doubt and told McGovern to just go back and take his kick.

But he fu**s that up.

And THEN, when McGovern gets predictably collared, he DOUBLES DOWN and pays deliberate out of bounds.

I don’t care if the deliberate was there or not. You have to understand as an umpire that this is a double whammy to a bloke who did nothing wrong, and in the spirit of the game, you do not pay the deliberate out of bounds in that situation, because it was caused by YOUR fu** up.

These umpires are not capable of officiating like this anymore.

They’re just pre-programmed robot pricks.
Perfectly said

Real umpires understand that if it's 50/50 on whether to call push in the back or holding the ball you call for a bounce.

When a mark gets taken but the player doesn't realise it was called touched off the boot 50m away you don't ping him holding the ball when he gets tackled, you call for a bounce.

When you see the other umpire ping a bloke for deliberate out of bounds but you think it was a harsh call/he was under pressure... when something similar happens in your area you call it deliberate out of bounds to follow suit.

So that it's fair. So that you don't **** over one of the teams.

It's impossible to write rules to cover this so you need to have a brain.

No one cares if the letter of the law is followed. All fans want is for their team not to be ****ed over.

Just don't **** the game up. That's your most important job.

What are people's thoughts on the Suns?

That's two good wins in a row against two good teams. Sitting 4 and 5.

Next game winnable against the Dogs.
I think most people are unconvinced on the Suns, however if they can beat the dogs it would go a long way in improving their public perception.

I said in the match thread that replays will be banned at grounds due to ''upsetting the fans''

You mean they are taking the passion out of the game.

It is bad enough we have theatre patrons who have no idea of the game in corporate boxes etc. Now removing the passion gets us one step closer to it becoming a theatre sport.

Bloody sad state of affairs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just hopeful they are actually improving.

Suns in the finals will be great for the AFL.
I've got a soft spot for them. Perpetual underdogs are easy to root for, them beating richmond last year was the most invested i've been as a neutral.

Looking at their fixture, they should be getting 10-11 wins.

Bulldogs (Ballarat)
North x2
Hawks x2
Us
Port (AO)
Richmond (MS)
Collingwood (MS)
Essendon (Marvel)
Brisbane
West Coast (MS)
Geelong (MS)

The only games I would mark in as losses are against Brisbane and Port, the rest of them they'd either be favourites or, in the very least, a 50-50 chance. Anything less than 10 wins will see Dew out of the door.

Looking at their fixture, they should be getting 10-11 wins.

Bulldogs (Ballarat)
North x2
Hawks x2
Us
Port (AO)
Richmond (MS)
Collingwood (MS)
Essendon (Marvel)
Brisbane
West Coast (MS)
Geelong (MS)

The only games I would mark in as losses are against Brisbane and Port, the rest of them they'd either be favourites or, in the very least, a 50-50 chance. Anything less than 10 wins will see Dew out of the door.
Dew is close to 100% out the door if Clarkson wants to coach the Suns, almost regardless of what happens from this point in time.

Freo suck in slippery, wet conditions, and smashed them on I50's, so I'd question how many games you can go -29 on I50's, -39 on disposals, -66 on uncontested posession, -14 on uncontested marks, +15 on clangers and -8 on tackles and win.

Given their run home though, Dew should absolutely get the ass if he can't get them in the finals. Their next 3 are Bulldogs, Hawthorn and North before their bye, then us, Port, Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, Brisbane, West Coast, Hawthorn, Geelong, and North again.

You'd say there's a good chance that apart from Brisbane and Geelong they could be the favourites in 11 of those and winning 9 of the 13 gets them in with only 3 of those games (Richmond/Brisbane/Geelong) where the opponent currently has more wins than them on the ladder.

Haha, first call on AA
'Port will go all the way'
Water Swimming GIF by WESLEE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back