Media Swans Talk in the Media 2022

Our club in the Media
Status
Not open for further replies.
... and was terrific. Calm, reflective and very dry sense of humour.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
The Age has a story on Tom Hickey which i can't open

Jul 9, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
The charter of our club is first and foremost to promote and develop the game of Australian Rules football.
The Pride guernsey is the club making a statement to the broader community that we stand with the minority to end ongoing, but thankfully declining, discrimination, abuse and generally unfair treatment and that we, as a club, welcome, encourage and provide a safe environment for the LGBTQI community, from any club, to participate in our great game.

The guernsey is not about giving these ppl “their own jumper” but I do think it is wonderful they are afforded an opportunity to make two loud statements when they attend our games, just as it is wonderful that non-indigenous ppl can make an ongoing statement of support wearing the indigenous one.

I’d prefer we do it without adding colours also, but I’m not real fussed about most of our sponsors, loud music at the games or Sweet Caroline either but none of them detract from my passion for our team.
The limit of my visual support for the club is a nice plain red scarf that I own… wanna wear a Pride guernsey? Fine. Indigenous one? Fine. Swans merch from head to toe and four layers deep? Fine. Blue jeans and a leather jacket? Fine. What other ppl wear has zero impact on my enjoyment and I really can’t grasp how it is even a talking point.

The Age has a story on Tom Hickey which i can't open
Big bodies constantly colliding in the heat of battle is not Sydney ruckman Tom Hickey’s greatest challenge.
“Three kids under three,” he says without hesitation while consoling young son Lou as his wife Chloe juggles six-month-old twins Olive and Delma in Sydney.
2022 Tom Hickey family.jpg

They’ve named him Sydney’s “Ruck Jesus” because of the long, shaggy hair, beard and piercing eyes standing out as part of an imposing 202cm frame.
Hickey laughs sheepishly at the description.
“I don’t know if that’s just because I look ridiculous?” he mused.“I’m a little bit superstitious. I played pretty well last year and didn’t want to cut my hair just in case, then had a stinker against Hawthorn, so cut it off a little bit.
Mills mentions the impact of Tom since coming to the Swans.
“I don’t know if it was being around such a young group, a vibrant group, an exciting group that’s added a couple of years in these old legs, but I’ve just thrived on that responsibility of being the No.1 ruck.”

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
The charter of our club is first and foremost to promote and develop the game of Australian Rules football.
The Pride guernsey is the club making a statement to the broader community that we stand with the minority to end ongoing, but thankfully declining, discrimination, abuse and generally unfair treatment and that we, as a club, welcome, encourage and provide a safe environment for the LGBTQI community, from any club, to participate in our great game.

The guernsey is not about giving these ppl “their own jumper” but I do think it is wonderful they are afforded an opportunity to make two loud statements when they attend our games, just as it is wonderful that non-indigenous ppl can make an ongoing statement of support wearing the indigenous one.

I’d prefer we do it without adding colours also, but I’m not real fussed about most of our sponsors, loud music at the games or Sweet Caroline either but none of them detract from my passion for our team.
The limit of my visual support for the club is a nice plain red scarf that I own… wanna wear a Pride guernsey? Fine. Indigenous one? Fine. Swans merch from head to toe and four layers deep? Fine. Blue jeans and a leather jacket? Fine. What other ppl wear has zero impact on my enjoyment and I really can’t grasp how it is even a talking point.
That's you opinion and others have a different few , deal with it

I thought it was before that, I thought it was about this time last year someone started calling him that.

Well actually, Hickey was mentioned in the first known edition of the New Testament, which was published by a bishop named Athanasius in Alexandria, Egypt, and dated to 367 AD.

All Australian Indigenous Team Since 2000
Three Swans: Franklin. Goodes. O'Loughlin

We have comfortably the top 2 players in that team. Kinda still hard to believe we actually got the privilege of watching them play in the same team for two seasons.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
All Australian Indigenous Team Since 2000
Three Swans: Franklin. Goodes. O'Loughlin

Adam Goodes, a guy who won a Brownlow spending significant time in the ruck and absolutely in no way out of a place on the wing.

I'm sure no one here needs to be reminded of his talent or versatility and yet even for a bloke who has won two Brownlows he still seems to be underappreciated in the wider football community.

Absolute champion.
(Mind you Buddy and Micky O are not exactly plodders).

Adam Goodes, a guy who won a Brownlow spending significant time in the ruck and absolutely in no way out of a place on the wing.

I'm sure no one here needs to be reminded of his talent or versatility and yet even for a bloke who has won two Brownlows he still seems to be underappreciated in the wider football community.

Absolute champion.
(Mind you Buddy and Micky O are not exactly plodders).

I think it was the ease and effortlessness at which he took to each new position that kinda made it easy to take just what he was doing for granted. It wasn't like "Oh Goodes is being tried in a new position, will take a while for him to settle into it". Roos would just plonk him in some new role mid-quarter and Goodes'd be like "**** it, lemme give you guys a highlight while I'm at it"

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
OK I went back and searched 'Jesus' on this forum (and can I just say if, when you reach the Pearly Gates, you lot are asked did you ever take the Lord's name in vain, Jesus you lot are stuffed).

First reference I could find re Hickey/Jesus was Nuggetz post from 1 May 2021;

Screenshot_2022-05-19 Player Watch - #31 [PLAYERCARD]Tom Hickey[/PLAYERCARD] - Recruit of the Year.png

First use I could find of the term 'Ruck Jesus' was by caesar88

Screenshot_2022-05-19 List Mgmt - 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals.png

Yep I don't know why I bothered either.

PS Sorry rustycrate, but the judge's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back