News North's recruiting team resigns en masse

Remove this Banner Ad

They need someone with a proven pedigree. Might I suggest this bloke...

200.gif
No, he is doing a good job where he is now. Needs another 10 years there to finish the job

yeah, we'll miss him terribly. :rolleyes:

feels like a sacking was probably inevitable, we've done well picking midfielders with high picks (hard to get wrong) but the total lack of key position players picked up in the draft has been extremely conspicuous, and it's lead to comedy scenarios like 189cm Aiden Bonar playing on Harry McKay, and 186cm Kyron Hayden picking up Tom McDonald. Seems like he probably saw the writing on the wall and wanted to jump ship before he'd lost all currency in the wider footy world.
Took over late 2019.

2019:
Shuffled back with Melbourne. Picked up a bonus 2nd round pick and a fairly meh 3rd round pick too. Moved out of the Serong slot.
Shuffled back a little in 2nd, took Comben, Mahoney, Perez. 2 projects, 1 role player
Added Walker for mature depth
Got Bonar for nothing
Added Matt McGuinness - 3rd tall kind of height

Analysis: Added some talls here but overall the shuffle back that was lauded by Champion Data doesn't seem to be working. Mahoney would do a job in a league average side. Perez is coming along.

Phillips
Powell
Lazzaro (a little confusing another mid)
Spicer (rolled the dicer)
Ford
Corr, Atu, Stephenson, Lachie Young, rookies +++

Analysis: Phillips and Powell just haven't delivered this year. Wait and see on them. Stevo gonna Stevo. Young is ok. Jacob Edwards a long way off it. Corr for more backline depth. Lazzaro a funny pick given he's in line to be about the 9th best mid and 4th half forward, I guess you're looking for high character, low risk role player there.

2021:
JHF
Goater
Curtis
Bergman
Archer
CCJ, Greenwood

Overall I'd say Walker, Corr, CCJ and decent effort at finding mature talls. Whilst Comben and Edwards is at least an attempt at future talls. Goater a 3rd tall defender possibly. Bonar the same. Young a 3rd or 4th option maybe. Zurhaar plays like a 3rd tall key forward. TT and JHF should be rotating as 4th marking options across half forward.

With Xerri, Larkey and McKay on the list I guess the argument could be you've got 3/5 of a good spine and the bookends. No point going hard for the 2nd talls at either end. In terms of immediate depth a mature 2nd key forward seams a big missing area to take the load of Larkey. Ziebell has kind of done it, and the theory I'm sure was for CCJ or Goldy (or both) to be more threatening.

I think the North midfield should be up and running and keeping them in games and laying a platform for the rest of the side to have a chance. Just seems at the moment without Cunnington there's not a single North mid who's really keen or capable to fight the fight. JHF has a go. The rest are found wanting. Fix the cause of that and the list management will look better.

I feel so bad for North Melbourne that I don't even feel like trolling them now :(

Oh please…there’s nothing in this world that would stop you from trolling!!

yeah, we'll miss him terribly. :rolleyes:

feels like a sacking was probably inevitable, we've done well picking midfielders with high picks (hard to get wrong) but the total lack of key position players picked up in the draft has been extremely conspicuous, and it's lead to comedy scenarios like 189cm Aiden Bonar playing on Harry McKay, and 186cm Kyron Hayden picking up Tom McDonald. Seems like he probably saw the writing on the wall and wanted to jump ship before he'd lost all currency in the wider footy world.

I think Luff is a smart guy with more insight than most on the game. The mistake North made was elevating him into a decision making role as opposed to simply an analyst role supplying information and data up the line. North’s exec at blame for this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gonna be a miserable decade for north. They literally have no idea who they should pick in the next few drafts now, total disaster.
They should offer Collingwood their 1st for Noble’s son.

We’ll at least need to think about it…

McDonald's been dropped twice this year and played 2 good games this year after not much last year. 1 against the ghost of the Eagles and 1 against Carlton. He still looks a bit slow and there's a wide range between putting it all together and being a big physical presence and being just a guy. A lumbering second option wouldn't help North in the short term and might not be required long term.

North's heavy midfield strategy really could work. Sadly they're all going backwards this year. Powell and Phillips having 2nd year blues or misfortune. TT lost between roles. Simpkin battling. LDU not making progress. A huge part of that philosophy was to make sure they improve quickly. Unfortunately they can't get any traction in the midfield, yet alone other areas.

He is a kid and still developing. Look at Lewis and Kosi for us. Both have taken a few years.

They were going to spend time at the bottom and were going to get a chance at other midfielders and blew their chance at a top young key forward.

makes the case for a PP even stronger...but who will make the pick?

You shouldnt reward terrible management. Otherwise West Coast should do it too.

I think Luff is a smart guy with more insight than most on the game. The mistake North made was elevating him into a decision making role as opposed to simply an analyst role supplying information and data up the line. North’s exec at blame for this.
At some stage if you think someone is a clever analyst you have to let them make some decisions. List managers from finance/business/analysis background are fairly common. St Kilda hired a banker. The Swans hired Charlie Gardiner as head of footy after being an lawyer post footy.

North also have Rawlings running the footy department and Noble as an experienced football manager. The positive of that is plenty of support and understanding on how they want to shape the list.

The negative:

Last year they split Rawlings job in half and gave the other half to Dan McPherson who came to the Dees with Roosy as an ex Swan.

Noble being so knowledgeable about list management and very good at attracting players might be sticking his nose in their or not happy with the list he's been given.

I'd like to know how Rawlings and Noble are going and what their relationship is like. From the outside I wouldn't bet on it going well.

The NM Priority Pick thread, you've made 48 posts in it about how North's plight is a problem caused by their own recruiting team.

Out: Recruiting team

In: Priority pick

So naturally you would think this is a positive for North?
I said North deserve 13-15 priority picks, as long as they're all mature state league players.

I also advocated for additional guidance by forcing you to trade picks for mature players.

Find me the posts where I've said the problem was caused by your own team? I've been one of the biggest encouragers of North.

Whether the move is positive depends on who replaces them. A different topic.

He is a kid and still developing. Look at Lewis and Kosi for us. Both have taken a few years.

They were going to spend time at the bottom and were going to get a chance at other midfielders and blew their chance at a top young key forward.
Lewis has special potential that he's starting to deliver on. Kosi I'm not sold on as more than a solid number 2. McDonald I'd put right in the middle of them.

If you can get a Kosi level 2nd stringer to support Larkey later then wait until later, don't burn pick 3 or 4 or whatever it was.

There's an entire thread on this, but in terms of short term Logan McDonald wouldn't be getting a kick at North. For the time being the far bigger problem is Phillips isn't either and nor is most of his fellow mids. JHF, Simpkin, LDU, TT with Anderson/Greenwood should be breaking even at clearances and running games out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back