Fantasy 2022 - OMEGA League - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly believable. Common sense dictates knowing the offense so well would make you the man to beat for the job.

I'm not disputing Mariota has the head start knowing Smith's offense.

I don't believe he's a good enough QB to hold the job throughout the season however.

Arthur Smith has been impressed and complimentary of Ridder in OTAs and minicamp
Also probably true, the HC can be impressed with the progress of the rookie whilst also true that Mariota has the distinct edge due to knowing the offense and generally being more seasoned. The journalist in the first article is perhaps taking Smith's praise and spinning it with his own slant that that suddenly means Ridder is hot on his heels. Journalistic license.

I don't believe he's a good enough QB to hold the job throughout the season however.
He really cratered at the end of his Tennessee stint, and tho he might've learned some things behind Carr like Trubisky learned behind Allen, the Raiders still seldom trusted Mariota to run a whole drive, spot duty. Tho I do remember a game (preseason?) or regular season game where he did have a drive or two, Carr injured? and looked "ok".

If Smith believed in a former #2 pick like Mariota he would have never been benched and ultimately replaced by Tannehill.
He really cratered at the end of his Tennessee stint, and tho he might've learned some things behind Carr like Trubisky learned behind Allen, the Raiders still seldom trusted Mariota to run a whole drive, spot duty. Tho I do remember a game (preseason?) or regular season game where he did have a drive or two, Carr injured? and looked "ok".

Yeah, against Miami IIRC, the game where Fitz threw the god no look pass to Hollins to win the game at the buzzer.

If Smith believed in a former #2 pick like Mariota he would have never been benched and ultimately replaced by Tannehill.
It's more a desperate situation tbh. Ryan left. They had no one. They had to sign someone as the designated starter, like Pittsburgh did signing Trubisky. And knowing Smith's offense is why. They went and drafted someone to push him and pass him (Ridder), just like the Steelers did (Pickett).

Just necessity/desperation. And because Mariota knows the offense and is a seasoned vet, you have to start someone like that ahead of a green rookie who is erratic and green. Again, like Pittsburgh with Pickett starting as the #3 and stayed #3 thruout OTAs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go to Transaction Log, click Claims, by All teams, and it lists who won a player...and inside that list of each player won, it tells you how many total bids/bidders there were for that same player, and next to that a hyperlink "Total Claims". You can mouseover that on desktop, or finger press it on phone, and it shows who the losing bidders were and how much they bid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back