Gomez
Thiago
Keita
Henderson
Ox
Jota
Firmino

+Nunez out for 3 games with a red

If we lose another defender to injury we are officially in a crisis.
Jones, Ramsay, Kelleher and Gordon are injured too.

Jurg has to wear some of this.

We all know how much he loves his high intensity pre-seasons. The problem is with the early start we've tried to cram in too much work in too short a time and I think that's what led to the truly staggering number of injuries we've suffered. What is it a dozen senior players? Calamitous.

Of course Klopp can't control what Nunez just did. Has he apologized yet? If Darwin has social media accounts he'd be best advised to avoid them for a few weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously only been two games, so hard to make definitive statements for the rest of the season.

It just doesn't feel like it's going to be our year this year. It just seems a little too hard for them all right now. Perhaps it's the inner sports pessimist in me, but I'm quite concerned about this game against United.

Going back to late last season we've conceded the first goal in 8 out of our last 9 games.

It also means we haven't kept a clean sheet for 8 out of 9 games, way too leaky

I don't think we really have a problem with not scoring against busses (aside from the CL final), it's more like we let busses score against us too easily all the time

Nunez was pushed around, but that’s EPL. He’s not used to it. Can’t use your head, no matter how much of a flop it was. He ll get 3 games for head butting. Fifa are pretty tough on those

The wings get away with defensive accountability. It’s a problem. VVD doesn’t make players per se. So the nippy faster forward are taking advantage of the high line that Liverpool love

I don't think it's the wingers, we are just set up so that we're asking VVD and his partner to win all their 1vs1s while playing a high line and it's not really realistic. Maybe prime pre-ACL VVD was doing it but not anymore

We essentially bomb both full backs and two midfielders up the pitch and asking Fab and the two CBs to deal with anything, it's too much for them. Hell, loads of times Fab bombs up the pitch, too. Even Fab's form has dropped right off

When Gini used to be here, he'd clean up with Fab a lot so it still maintains some kind of decent balance, but the balance is right off atm. People who park busses know they'll get an easy chance to score against us

Obviously only been two games, so hard to make definitive statements for the rest of the season.

It just doesn't feel like it's going to be our year this year. It just seems a little too hard for them all right now. Perhaps it's the inner sports pessimist in me, but I'm quite concerned about this game against United.

It's been a slow start that's for sure and far from ideal. Too hard to predict the rest of the season from a 2 match sample size, I for one am more optimistic than some on here. We were sloppy and caught out by an opponent up for it against Fulham, overnight it was one of those games we've seen 100 times before. We boss the ball and get caught out on the break by some pace, it happens. I think our attacking third is still feeling itself out with Nunez leading the line and no Mane, it looks like we are still adjusting.

We will click into gear, and hopefully it happens next week against United because we don't want a third slip-up to start the season. Just like last season when we fell 11-12 points behind people were up in arms "the season is over" mate we have 36 to play, let's all take a breath. We've been hit by injuries to some key players and have had a slow start, that's okay. We are better than we are performing, I think most fans know that.

Let's just take a breath and focus on bouncing back. Nothing is lost, still plenty of time to go. It is always going to be tough to win the league but you can't pack it in after 2 games.

As for Nunez, I mean geez talk about an overreaction. Silly to get himself sent off, absolutely. But a 22 year old losing his head and getting sent off? I mean it's not unheard off. Again not ideal and I'm sure Klopp will be having a word as will the senior players in the squad. He's looked okay, but again he is 2 games in playing in a league that is a step and a half above what he has previously played. He needs time and hasn't looked awful which reading some of the comments in here you'd think he's been Jovanovic levels of bad.

I don't think we really have a problem with not scoring against busses (aside from the CL final), it's more like we let busses score against us too easily all the time.
Yeah this is the big problem for me. Not keeping clean sheets puts pressure on you immediately to have to score twice to win games all the time. Particularly conceding first. If we score first and they equalise, you're like ok, we just need a goal, but when you go behind it puts the pressure on knowing that we need two.

Plus the fact we know draws are basically losses when you're up against City.

It's been a slow start that's for sure and far from ideal. Too hard to predict the rest of the season from a 2 match sample size, I for one am more optimistic than some on here. We were sloppy and caught out by an opponent up for it against Fulham, overnight it was one of those games we've seen 100 times before. We boss the ball and get caught out on the break by some pace, it happens. I think our attacking third is still feeling itself out with Nunez leading the line and no Mane, it looks like we are still adjusting.

We will click into gear, and hopefully it happens next week against United because we don't want a third slip-up to start the season. Just like last season when we fell 11-12 points behind people were up in arms "the season is over" mate we have 36 to play, let's all take a breath. We've been hit by injuries to some key players and have had a slow start, that's okay. We are better than we are performing, I think most fans know that.

Let's just take a breath and focus on bouncing back. Nothing is lost, still plenty of time to go. It is always going to be tough to win the league but you can't pack it in after 2 games.

As for Nunez, I mean geez talk about an overreaction. Silly to get himself sent off, absolutely. But a 22 year old losing his head and getting sent off? I mean it's not unheard off. Again not ideal and I'm sure Klopp will be having a word as will the senior players in the squad. He's looked okay, but again he is 2 games in playing in a league that is a step and a half above what he has previously played. He needs time and hasn't looked awful which reading some of the comments in here you'd think he's been Jovanovic levels of bad.
I know we want to try to stay positive but last season we did fall far behind and fought back but because we started so far back we couldn't overhaul them. The same can easily happen here. City are super consistent, you just cant allow them a head start. The only way we've beaten City to the title over the past 5 years is by making them chase. Setting the standard and blowing them away, every other time we've been chasing, chasing, chasing and they dont falter.

So this season was a chance to go at them again, try to lead the pack and put the pressure on and instead we've just handed them the advantage and again it's now chase, chase, chase.

I know everyone can say oh it's just two games in, plenty of time etc etc. But I look at it this way. Beating City to the league title is massively hard. We have gotten 92 and 97 points in past seasons and still come up short so what we have basically done with these opening two games is this.

It's now a 36 game season and we have to beat City not by 1 point or GD to win the league. We have to beat City by 5 points over 36 games to win the title. It's just super unlikely already.

My side for United.

Diaz-Salah-Elliott
Milner-Fabinho-Henderson
Robbo-VVD-Gomez-Arnold
Alisson

Subs: Adrian, Phillips, Van Den Berg, Kostas, Chambers, Bajcetic, Clark, Keita, Carvalho
We surely cannot play the vanilla of all vanilla midfields against United. I'd rather see Fabinho, Carvalho, Keita with Elliott in the front three replacing Nunez.

The continuity and connectiveness isn't quite there at the moment

I don't think we really have a problem with not scoring against busses (aside from the CL final), it's more like we let busses score against us too easily all the time

The bus penetrating the high line

9d6eb982134615160ea4ee7a24d63e4e6b8be283.gifv

Then

n_fLWl.gif

(Except jurgen and pep replace sandra and keanu)

Players are older than they were last season (of course), and bodies have suffered attrition over the course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back