Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency X - Club has elected not to fill list spot - Davey returning from injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t want athletes or big bodies, I want good footballers who can actually impact a game or a contest.

So that’s exactly where we are presently and it’s getting us nowhere.

We need to drastically alter the mix and the athletic profile AND get the strength and conditioning component to match so all those players can actually impact over the course of 4 quarters and muster a second effort.

Good to hear that we have apparently met with Stocker, it’s the most obvious match out there.

Ollie Henry had a game earlier in the year where he kicked something like 1.4 and 2-3 on the full. Without knowing a thing about the kid it seemed to hurt his confidence. If he kicked 5 that day there’s a good chance his year goes differently. Id take him in a heartbeat
Absolutely he will be a star … take him before stocker and setterfield any day

I’m not arguing, but there’s no rhyme or season.

The whole Waterman lifecycle makes absolutely zero sense for us, we knew he would require a bit more support aerobically because of the glandular, but we also know our strength and conditioning program is from the Stone Age.

So questionable to draft him in the first place given he’s a bit of a special case, more questionable to try him as a midfielder, but only once a month so we don’t really learn any more about him and now questionable to have him as someone who is a marginal ‘last decision we make guy’ as a 26 year old non best 22 player in a bottom 4 side.

Piss or get off the pot.

Brand I am still not sure about so he gets another contract so we can work that out IMO.

He was drafted as a 24 year old. He can take responsibility for his physical condition. Are we now saying our strength and conditioning wouldn't help a player who wanted it?

He was drafted because he could kick a goal when we had no proven forwards other than Stringer. Wright was still an unknown. Jones hadn't had a cracking second year.

We've added Martin to the team. Perkins is now going into a third year. Stewart is playing forward again.

Tex has been added and looks promising as does Menzie.

It's was well and truly up to Waterman or maybe he cant physically do it. He was even getting VFL midfield time.

Literaly everything we have done with Waterman has made perfect sense and will continue to make sense as long as he's delisted.

I don’t want athletes or big bodies, I want good footballers who can actually impact a game or a contest.

The football v athlete dichotomy is fake.

If the players aren't athletes what ever we're trying to do won't work.

You know that Richmond, Hawthorn, Geelong, Melbourne, to name a few of the strong teams of the last 10 years, are/we're loaded with top endurance runners, for example.

Do either of Stoker or Setterfield have any exposed form as inside midfielders outside of their junior years?

I'm concerned we're getting all excited about a shiny new 2nd hand toy that was once all the rage but over time hasn't really been used as it should and now it's just another toy and will sit on the shelf with the other old toys, not being what it was once touted to be.

I have no real insight so happy to be corrected, but we're sounding like when post-flag era Hawthorn was picking up every other club's lesser lights and swearing they'd be better players with them because Hawthorn (and we can't even play the Magic Clarko card).
Sometimes the toy just sucks.

He was drafted as a 24 year old. He can take responsibility for his physical condition. Are we now saying our strength and conditioning wouldn't help a player who wanted it?

He was drafted because he could kick a goal when we had no proven forwards other than Stringer. Wright was still an unknown. Jones hadn't had a cracking second year.

We've added Martin to the team. Perkins is now going into a third year. Stewart is playing forward again.

Tex has been added and looks promising as does Menzie.

It's was well and truly up to Waterman or maybe he cant physically do it. He was even getting VFL midfield time.

Literaly everything we have done with Waterman has made perfect sense and will continue to make sense as long as he's delisted.

My argument is that we should have had the self awareness to not even bother initially given the glandular, OR actually commit to developing him or at least providing him a defined role. Two bob each way is wasting his time and ours.

Realistically Parish is worth pick 6 and a trade could get done on day 1 of the trade period.

Reality: dodoro will ask for four firsts and newcombe, and then in the last five minutes of the trade period accept pick 6 for parish.

Then we use pick 6 to pick up a 170cm outside mid with no tank and mental demons 😂
You’re saying there’s a chance we could trade in some demons!!??? Let’s do it.

Waterman when brought in was a 24 year old state league goal kicker we took a punt on, after two seasons he hasn't been able to develop enough tricks to maintain the project imho.
When our only ONLY forward entry plan is to kick to the 'cage' - there was no way that any small forward was a chance for a look in.

Waters had a busrt strong enough to get seperation time after time in the F50 - but was completely ignored.

The cage ****ed our forward play from round 1.

Jack Ross will get starved of genuine inside mid time with Taranto and Hopper, reckon we could make a play?

187cm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Ross will get starved of genuine inside mid time with Taranto and Hopper, reckon we could make a play?

187cm
Admittedly I haven't seen much of him but is he particularly good at anything? Every time I watch him he just seems like he doesn't do a whole lot in general

Admittedly I haven't seen much of him but is he particularly good at anything? Every time I watch him he just seems like he doesn't do a whole lot in general
I don't think he gets the time on ball he needs, reckon at a team like us he'd show a little more. Every now and then he has a big quarter from my pov but hasn't put together full games, 21 years old and a good size.

Tigers probably against moving him on and he's contracted to 2024

... Anyone think GWS could use a ball winning midfielder now that they've lost Hopper and Taranto to the same place? Someone who might have been All Australian last year?

Richmond will have to give up 12, 19 and their F1 for the pair, surely.
Yeh nah parish ain’t going to Sydney
They’re trying to clear money out of the cap not add to it. They wanted to keep taranto but can’t afford to.

I don't think he gets the time on ball he needs, reckon at a team like us he'd show a little more. Every now and then he has a big quarter from my pov but hasn't put together full games, 21 years old and a good size.

Tigers probably against moving him on and he's contracted to 2024

This could be the perfect opportunity for us to entertain a 2022 fourth rounder for Ross and a third rounder as a salary dump. Unsure they need to dump it, but as an outsider looking in, don't see Ross breaking in anytime soon alongside those others sited earlier in this thread.

Ollie Henry had a game earlier in the year where he kicked something like 1.4 and 2-3 on the full. Without knowing a thing about the kid it seemed to hurt his confidence. If he kicked 5 that day there’s a good chance his year goes differently. Id take him in a heartbeat
He came back the next week and kicked a clutch goal to win them the game.

My argument is that we should have had the self awareness to not even bother initially given the glandular, OR actually commit to developing him or at least providing him a defined role. Two bob each way is wasting his time and ours.

What are you talking about?

For a start, he served his purpose by providing depth. I reckon his ability to finish probably even won a few tight games last year.

I don't want to go too hard on his rig because it may be that he was not capable of putting the work in, but, looking at him without knowing his story, there was 3-5 expendable kgs from the thighs to the waistline.

Contrast with Martin who hired a PT to get fit before trying out with us or even Hibberd who developed a body builder's physique while playing VFL.

We played Waterman in position. We even gave him consistent minutes in the middle (his pre CF position) where we had a use for his arse.

You're arguing about a caricature you've created.

If this looked like Mitch Hibberd, for example, where we've got a 192cm, 98kg inside mid with a better engine than any mid we have, albeit at one pace, who we didn't play in the middle despite our need for his skillset you'd have a point.

Waterman has been given as much of an opportunity as anyone, despite being a liability defensively.

Last edited:
Not sure about attitude but there is a huge question mark on his ability to run at AFL level….when will we learn?

It comes down to the baskets we place our eggs in.

If it's going to be business as usual, and Stocker's the one mature mid we're looking to bring in, I'm against it.

If, as we should, we're looking at 3 mids (including trading someone out) then I think we take a chance on Stocker.

He's a very aggressive inside player who, as I've said a few time now, I think has the ability to be an elite kick, Mundy-level inside ball user.

Cant justify the risk when it comes to a bad tank/attitude problems if all the eggs are in one basket.

I thought the other knock on Stocker was he is slow. Really slow ?

I guess if he is the inside mid, he doesn't have to be quick as long as his disposal is clean to our outside runners. But not quick and no tank...not sure about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back