Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather Jack Graham

"Voss isn't the type of coach that will stand for Hunter and his unprofessional conduct and high maintenance issues."

How soon we forget.

Every team needs the occasional bad boy. If ha cant be sorted out turf him.
Geez you’d be a brave Joe Public punter to take on a group of ex footballers that included Voss, Gehrig and Lawrence in a pub after a few froths.

Hunter is a good footballer and if his head is screwed on he'll be OK at a new club. I see no reason why he can't get back to playing his best football.

But he's not in our plans and he's not of the quality that should force a club into looking to change their plans.

I'm not a huge fan of Acres but give me Blake any day of the week over Hunter given what we know (and probably don't know) about the circumstances surrounding both.

With Hunter there are red flags from a cultural perspective so it's a pretty easy 'thanks but no thanks' from me.
People can jump and down all they like about how we shouldn't sneeze at a player of his quality and how we need to be ready and willing to adapt when opportunities arise, but let's not forget the other side of the coin here - the Dogs are looking to offload him.

There is no way we can afford Hunter lol - will cost more than Amon + at least a second rounder.

Wouldn't cost much if the Dogs are looking to offload him. Would certainly be less than Amon in terms of salary IMO, given in an ideal world the Dogs would be chipping in.

I feel we really should be looking for one more winger that’s in the system. Acres will be a great addition for us and best 22 if he keeps his 2022 form. I like we can keep faith in Cotters and LOB, but we should be adding one more especially if Setters is potentially out the door. I think people forget he’s played wing more than he’s played in the middle during his time with us.

Acres and Cottrell.

Hunter would destroy our culture.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

From what I have heard others say, Acres would be our defensive wing and be the upgrade on Cottrell (and Newnes) and LOB would be on the other wing.

Do some think we would go with Cottrell over LOB?

I wonder if we would try to fit Cottrell into the 22 if LOB is on the wing ahead of him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

From what I have heard others say, Acres would be our defensive wing and be the upgrade on Cottrell (and Newnes) and LOB would be on the other wing.

Do some think we would go with Cottrell over LOB?

I wonder if we would try to fit Cottrell into the 22 if LOB is on the wing ahead of him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Acres has one wing and the two others fight it out on form. Pressure for spots is what makes great teams.

the Dogs are looking to offload him.
The Dogs also have rumours of fractures in the playing group and a head coach that at times seems to be losing it himself. Bont is a great player and a nice leader, but to me he's in the mould of Heppell and isn't a commanding presence that demands the respect of a group. And like I mentioned, the head coach might command respect, but also seems to go mad scientist at times, which is hard to buy into when there's any sign of adversity.

I don't think they're a very united group with any strong leadership, so that alone isn't really a red flag for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hunter is a good footballer and if his head is screwed on he'll be OK at a new club. I see no reason why he can't get back to playing his best football.

But he's not in our plans and he's not of the quality that should force a club into looking to change their plans.

I'm not a huge fan of Acres but give me Blake any day of the week over Hunter given what we know (and probably don't know) about the circumstances surrounding both.

With Hunter there are red flags from a cultural perspective so it's a pretty easy 'thanks but no thanks' from me.
People can jump and down all they like about how we shouldn't sneeze at a player of his quality and how we need to be ready and willing to adapt when opportunities arise, but let's not forget the other side of the coin here - the Dogs are looking to offload him.
only 27yo.

Never had any significant injuries....

1664168412928.png

Acres has one wing and the two others fight it out on form. Pressure for spots is what makes great teams.
Agreed! LOB is a way better user by foot, that raking left foot can easily clear 50m and hit targets on the chest. However, Cottrell runs smarter patterns and gets goalside seemingly easily.

LOB a better athlete and more talented footballer but Cottrell still edges him out with his footy nous and hardness in the contest. Both have merit as our second wing option.

Anyone hear anymore detail around Nathan Brown (ex bulldog / Tiger at the Brownlow?

If we go back to our most successful Error Late 70's to mid 80's we would have needed hundreds of litres of bleach to get our boys shirts cleaned. Some of the incidents would have half the supporters leaving the club today.

Big nick
Jimmy Buckley and the taxi incident
Dominator dominating a prominent news reader while Dorretich was warming up
Ang and Kouta incident (makes De Goey looj like a Orthodox Monk)
etc....

To be honest some of these incidents sicken me, but I think we have become to precious in regards to taking a risk or 2
Poor Dorotich, left on the outside looking in.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was a very bad DD incident to be fair. He really could have killed himself and others.

Not only that he gave false information to the police.

But aside from that, it's been a couple of years since he performed at a regular/consistent level (granted he has gond through some rough personal times)
but it's also arguable he has peaked as a player / best is behind him

Of course I would support him/get behind him if he was traded to us, but I can't see it happening for a variety of reasons
Elements of stalking to it too. The incident happened in his ex's street and some of the cars damaged were hers and her family members, if I'm remembering correctly.

Boyd
Young
De Koning
O'Brien
Cerra
Cottrell
Walsh
Durdin
Motlop

All players 23 and under who played quality roles for us this year.

Mirkov, Kemp, Honey, Carroll

4 more we have a somewhat high level of confidence in doing as soon as next season for 3 of the 4 with Mirkov in the second half of the year a possibility.

Dow winning our VFL B&F and Philp as maybes.

We're developing players just fine this year

What separates the Pies from us this year is

A) Overall player health. They had a much healthier run than we did and where they lost players had appropriate cover.

B) Players in the 29-and-older bracket who provided not only quality play but veteran leadership and know how. This included Pendlebury, Howe, Sidebottom, Cox, Elliott, Mihocek, Hoskin Elliott, Adams. Comparatively the only players we have on the list who are 29+ that saw game time this year were Newnes and Newman. Ed Curnow being the only other one.

The Pies don't concern me right now. They should be contending now because they're going to have to replace 8 players who are currently in their best 22 going soon.

They had a season of scarcely believable statistical anomalies

Elements of stalking to it too. The incident happened in his ex's street and some of the cars damaged were hers and her family members, if I'm remembering correctly.

Yikes. I forgot about that part too.

Took us a long time to get rid of the troubled soul/bad boy types at our club. Definitely wouldn't want to revisit it (with Hunter or any other potential recruit)

Agreed! LOB is a way better user by foot, that raking left foot can easily clear 50m and hit targets on the chest. However, Cottrell runs smarter patterns and gets goalside seemingly easily.

LOB a better athlete and more talented footballer but Cottrell still edges him out with his footy nous and hardness in the contest. Both have merit as our second wing option.

I don't think there's much merit in the "Cottrell has better footy nous" part of that, nor the ease with which he gets goalside. O'Brien actually had 50% more shots on goal than Cotters this year from bout the same number of games, it was just that Cotters is a bit more reliable on the set shot execution.

LOB also gets about 50% more uncontested possessions, which would indicate his running patterns are smarter - though you'd also have to factor in the role here, as I would assume that LOB is looked for more than Cottrell, who in turn has had more defensive roles. Even so, that distinction between the two likely says as much about them as players as it does about some overarching strategy. LOB runs hard to good spots, gets more of the pill and uses it better (on average) in transition. Cottrell gets sent to a man and follows him, which occasionally gets him in position to sneak inside 50 for a cheeky mark on the switch.

Hardness you'd absolutely give to Cottrell, would much rather him laying a tackle or contesting anything in the air, but I saw improvements from LOB in this space and it might only take one good preseason to fill out his frame a little more and give him the confidence to body up against some of the other outside mids he matches against.

I’ve seen quite a few posters put down Collingwoods 29+ players as a key reason to their success, yet there seems very little interest in adding older experienced players to our list.

We just watched the oldest team in history win the GF, with the oldest Norm Smith medalist, at a club who has stayed at the top by recruiting ready made players, so why aren’t we looking to do something a little similar?

Outside of Harry and Charlie our forward line lacks class, there is a 430 goal third tall forward unsigned, right in front of our noses and there doesn’t seem like much interest, it’s a bit confusing, Gunston ticks so many boxes for us, surely there are others.
JackGunston isn’t interested in us… not the other way round.

All AFL players love to party.
But if the ladder was ranked on levels of party, the dogs would of won every flag since 2015. On top of that, Hunter would of won charlie and norm at least 5 times each.

All that aside, Hunter and the Bowes deal are not on our radar as we simply do not have that level of flexibility in our cap. They are both significant contracts to take on.
That's not to say we don't have any cap space, but between the re-signing we need to make over the next couple or years and the long term deals we've made this year, we don't want to lock ourself into a position where we can't find some extra dollars if someone were to have a serious break out in the near future (TDK, Carroll, Kemp, Motlop) these types of players.

As boring as it sounds for us, considering the trade period has been our Grand Final for as long as we can all remember, there wont be much going on. Acres will come easily and cheap, we might look at trading up on draft night, or potentially even trading out to load up for next year. Potential DFA and very cheap pick ups, but nothing to exciting.
The improvement comes from within, the group having another year with the new coaching staff. We had 5 AA squad, 3 AA, a charlie and a coleman. Injuries cruelled our run at some pretty inopportune times, but it allowed us to further develop our depth. Sure we'd love to have 18 AA's, but that's not how a salary cap works. We have an even spread of stars across the field, so we won't get stuck in the GWS/Bulldogs trap of spending most of your money on one position. Now is the time to settle, consolidate and build for long term sustained success.

Other than that. Port are going seriously hard at Kosi Pickett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back