The Greens

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean, Im not defending someone who sat on a committee investigating bikie crime gangs while dating a guy who ran a bikie crime gang and forgot to declare it.

Are you also going to attack the ICAC investigator who said it looks bad? Or ignore that and focus on Murdoch, Murdoch, Murdoch, random internet poster ?
She's f***ed up, it's cost her her a job and if further investigation needs to made it will be done. I just find it a bit rich after the swamp that was the last government suddenly Dutton wants Thorpe to resign from Parliament for this.

Do you believe literally every member of a motorcycle gang is an organised criminal?
It wasn't "any" motorcycle gang. It was the Rebels. And yes, I believe that anyone who was a President of the Rebels Motorcycle gang is a criminal. If we had RICO laws in Australia, he'd be in prison for life. At least his brother might still be alive in prison with him.

Firstly were talking about a convicted drug trafficker vs an ex bikie with no record, so yes it's different but not in the way you're making out.

My point was that the rules don't apply equally to everyone.

Edit: I'm not saying Tania's husband doesn't deserve a second chance, just that being convicted of trafficking heroin is a lot more than Dean Martin has got against him, and Tania is married to this guy where as Lidia isn't.
The difference is that Thorpe didn't disclose the relationship. I'm guessing Plibersek has admitted she's married to somebody, not referring to him as a "friend".

Thrope could have disclosed the relationship and excluded herself from confidential briefings about Law enforcement actions against bikie gangs. Thorpe's potential conflict has more real-life consequences.

Am I the only one who thinks transparency and honesty of Parliamentarians is a non-negotiable?

Firstly were talking about a convicted drug trafficker vs an ex bikie with no record, so yes it's different but not in the way you're making out.

My point was that the rules don't apply equally to everyone.

Edit: I'm not saying Tania's husband doesn't deserve a second chance, just that being convicted of trafficking heroin is a lot more than Dean Martin has got against him, and Tania is married to this guy where as Lidia isn't.
Was not the reason that Thorpe was directly involved in briefings about controlling influence of outlaw motorcycle gangs and then at time dating the president of a chapter of an outlaw gang ? That is a massive issue in terms of perception of inappropriate communication and the response (demotion) is adequate and timely highlighting how the greens are better at integrity.

She's f***ed up, it's cost her her a job and if further investigation needs to made it will be done. I just find it a bit rich after the swamp that was the last government suddenly Dutton wants Thorpe to resign from Parliament for this.
She's resigned from a leadership role in the party which is fair enough, but there's been a lot of shit being said here that wouldn't get pulled out and hasn't been pulled out for worse things

Was not the reason that Thorpe was directly involved in briefings about controlling influence of outlaw motorcycle gangs and then at time dating the president of a chapter of an outlaw gang ? That is a massive issue in terms of perception of inappropriate communication and the response (demotion) is adequate and timely highlighting how the greens are better at integrity.
No he hadn't been a member for years

She's resigned from a leadership role in the party which is fair enough, but there's been a lot of s**t being said here that wouldn't get pulled out and hasn't been pulled out for worse things
Of course, she's an indigenous, lefty women. That's kryponite for some.

Last edited:
It wasn't "any" motorcycle gang. It was the Rebels. And yes, I believe that anyone who was a President of the Rebels Motorcycle gang is a criminal. If we had RICO laws in Australia, he'd be in prison for life. At least his brother might still be alive in prison with him.

The discussion here is like saying the former leader of the KKK is fine compared to the person convicted of crime.

Mafia boss is a good guy because underlings always got caught and never talked, more at six.

Gralin, I think you're struggling to grasp that everyone in Australia thinks that motorcycle gang (Rebels) members are criminals and just because they've not been caught individually, or that they don't do it any more, doesn't mean we don't all think they're criminals.

There's no redemption from that life, unless perhaps they testified against their murderous, drug-dealing compatriots. In their hearts, they're cowards who either fear the club, or fear leaving the club, or both.

So at-best, Martin witnessed countless crimes which he's never reported. At worst, he's committed countless crimes himself. But you don't think an Australian Senator should disclose that relationship while receiving briefings about bikie gangs?

Even Adam Bandt won't stretch himself that far.

The difference is that Thorpe didn't disclose the relationship. I'm guessing Plibersek has admitted she's married to somebody, not referring to him as a "friend".

Thrope could have disclosed the relationship and excluded herself from confidential briefings about Law enforcement actions against bikie gangs. Thorpe's potential conflict has more real-life consequences.

Am I the only one who thinks transparency and honesty of Parliamentarians is a non-negotiable?
Yep. There's no denying that politicians have done far worse than this.

But the non-disclosure is a really bad look, specially in the current climate of the last election, where integrity was such a first-order issue.

Still, good on her for stepping down rather than digging in.

Kinda reminds me of the dual citizenship shenanigans, where the first two to be caught out were both Greens, who despite resigning immediately, were mocked mercilessly by LibLab politicians.

Nek minnit lo and behold, plenty of their own were found to be dual citizens. And did they offer a single word of apology?

Crickets.

Yep. There's no denying that politicians have done far worse than this.

But the non-disclosure is a really bad look, specially in the current climate of the last election, where integrity was such a first-order issue.

Still, good on her for stepping down rather than digging in.

Kinda reminds me of the dual citizenship shenanigans, where the first two to be caught out were both Greens, who despite resigning immediately, were mocked mercilessly by LibLab politicians.

Nek minnit lo and behold, plenty of their own were found to be dual citizens. And did they offer a single word of apology?

Crickets.
I like Thorpe, but I think you'll struggle to find anyone who likes ex-Bikies and knows anything about Governance.

She loses her leadership position and next time she wants confidential briefings or to go back into leadership, then she needs to cut these connections. I also haven't seen her disavow that connection and recognised that as an Australian Senator she shouldn't hang around with the ex-boss of criminal gangs. She's got a choice to make if she wants to try again for a Parliamentary leadership role.

Guy continues to pay the price for Madafferi who I'm sure he's probably not spoken to in about a decade now.

Politicians being hypocrites (particularly the major parties) is like pointing out that religious people are hypocrites. It's practically their reason for existence.

Years is a way of putting it; though from what I have seen the he only stepped down as chapter president in 2018, after a 25 year association. Doesn't even say when he quit the organisation in this link, and for me even if he left totally in 2018 you do not just handwave the 25 year history after only 3 years. Maybe at roughly half the length - 12 years - I'd be more "meh" about the prior history. But that is just a "vibe" thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ex bikie
We've got at least one current government minister married to someone with an actual conviction - (nothing wrong with that but the hypocrisy of the hand wringing is real)
We've had members of cabinet with credible sexual assault allegations who copped less

'Mr Plibersek' has earned his credibility. The good Senator Thorpe is accorded any credibility as an MP.

Dean Martin just wants to ride bikes with his friends, and Mick Gatto just wants everyone to get along.

Ditto with Gladys and her attempts to refer to her lover as someone "not in her inner circle".

And just so that others can be aware of Tanya Plibersek's partners drug trafficking background, here is a link (possibly not the most reputable source) for comparison

According to this, the jail term was in 1986
Tanya and Michael got married in 2000
There is a fair bit of difference to the Lidia Thorpe and Dean Martin perception of conflict of interest. Now if Michael had been say sentenced in 1997, and they got married in 2000, and Tania was involved with something to do with monitoring jail management/ illicit drug regulation, I would also call on her to excuse herself from the proceedings for the same perception of conflict of interest.

And just so that others can be aware of Tanya Plibersek's partners drug trafficking background, here is a link (possibly not the most reputable source) for comparison

According to this, the jail term was in 1986
Tanya and Michael got married in 2000
There is a fair bit of difference to the Lidia Thorpe and Dean Martin perception of conflict of interest. Now if Michael had been say sentenced in 1997, and they got married in 2000, and Tania was involved with something to do with monitoring jail management/ illicit drug regulation, I would also call on her to excuse herself from the proceedings for the same perception of conflict of interest.
Ding Ding Ding... Cranky wins the award for understanding relevance!!!!

Martin didn't need to be a criminal for this arrangement to have a stench, Thorpe was sitting on a Committee that put her in a direct conflict of interest, which she chose not to disclose.

Not a hangable offence by any stretch, but dumb enough to deserve a demotion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back