Public vs Private School funding

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course each specific school is different, but I think a lot here are eating way too much into generalizations of 'rich snobby kids' like it's an American TV show. Most kids really don't give a s**t how much your family makes. I mean as long as you have an Xbox to play games with them, they don't care if you are coming to school in a Range Rover, a second hand van or catch the bus. Of course there will be some dumbasses, but there will be some at public schools as well.
Not all kids yeah, though kids can be pretty cruel, even sometimes without fully realising what they are doing. I'm trying to provide some balance, but we had an argument against public schools re: drugs, teachers who don't care, kids bringing knives and/or threatening other kids. So some of us are just pointing out that private schools can be unhealthy places too (in some respects).

...but we had an argument against public schools re: drugs, teachers who don't care, kids bringing knives and/or threatening other kids. ...
I concede that I haven't read all 196 pages in this thread, so far, but I can't recall seeing anything like an attack on State Schools. Here's mine, ideology at the expense of literacy and analysis. If you'll identify the posts that contain these "arguments against public schools", I'll happily join in the defence.

Most kids really don't give a s**t how much your family makes. I mean as long as you have an Xbox to play games with them, they don't care if you are coming to school in a Range Rover, a second hand van or catch the bus.
Really not the case from my experience and others, plus friends who sent their kids to private. Definite demarcation even amongst good friends. Families can't do things together as the rich families do stuff like a weekend in Vanuatu for the kids birthday... with most of the class/friends coming along.

As I said before, people I know were very aware of exactly where their school sat on the hierarchy of school fees. Of course it isn't all kids, but the end result is everyone made aware of their tier at some point or another.

Private schools reinforce a hierarchy that benefits the least people.

Government funding for private schools is less per capita than public schools. The existence of private schools reduces overall cost of schooling for governments, so should theoretically be supported by those who value education.

If you were to ban all private education, taxes would need to be increased to provide public education for all.

If you were to ban all private education, taxes would need to be increased to provide public education for all.
So the rich would be paying into a pot for all schools instead of hoarding all the $200,000 fountains for themselves?

Sounds fine to me.

Really not the case from my experience and others, plus friends who sent their kids to private. Definite demarcation even amongst good friends. Families can't do things together as the rich families do stuff like a weekend in Vanuatu for the kids birthday... with most of the class/friends coming along.

As I said before, people I know were very aware of exactly where their school sat on the hierarchy of school fees. Of course it isn't all kids, but the end result is everyone made aware of their tier at some point or another.

The bolded part might say more about you than you intend. Schools are schools, State or Private. Parents are charged with doing the best they can for their children. If a parent ranks diversity and 1st year uni performance, then he/she might choose a State School. Another parent who rates other values and getting into University will choose Private. Our society contemplates both. Isn't your last sentence just ideological posturing ?

So the rich would be paying into a pot for all schools instead of hoarding all the $200,000 fountains for themselves?

Sounds fine to me.
The rich already pay tax and private school fees. Get rid of private schools and they pay slightly more proportionally, same as everyone else, while freeing up 15-30k each year to fund another holiday home and lexus.

Taxes will go up for everyone.

The rich already pay tax and private school fees. Get rid of private schools and they pay slightly more proportionally, same as everyone else, while freeing up 15-30k each year to fund another holiday home and lexus.

Not if legislated correctly. Whack a $30,000 tax on the Lexus.

Easy.

Goulburn School Strike - Wikipedia

There's history for that proposition, the Goulburn School Strike.

I have no evidence to substantiate these claims other than subjective experience and word of mouth.

My view is private schools are great for academically inclined children who are bordering on being future doctors, dentists, and lawyers. If 2 percentile points make all the difference, private schooling is a worthwhile investment.

Selective public schools are the equal of private schools, and public schools in good areas tend to be reasonable.

If your kid is in the 60th-80th percentile academically and you live in a good area, a private school education probably isn't worth it unless you have money to throw away.

If you live in a lower SES area, the difference between the private and public schooling systems is massive.

Pretty strongly disagree that most private school kids are having a quick weekend trip to Vanuatu for their birthdays. I think you are really thinking about the elite of the elite at inner city grammar schools and picturing every private school to be like that. Most private schools are filled with kids who still live in the same suburbs as the public school kids.

I have no evidence to substantiate these claims other than subjective experience and word of mouth.

My view is private schools are great for academically inclined children who are bordering on being future doctors, dentists, and lawyers. If 2 percentile points make all the difference, private schooling is a worthwhile investment.

Selective public schools are the equal of private schools, and public schools in good areas tend to be reasonable.

If your kid is in the 60th-80th percentile academically and you live in a good area, a private school education probably isn't worth it unless you have money to throw away.

If you live in a lower SES area, the difference between the private and public schooling systems is massive.
An adjunct. Private education isn't necessarily only about academic results, there are other factors, religious affiliation, perceived values within religious orientations (Jesuit, Christian Brothers, Dominican, Mercy, Charity, Carmalite etc within the Catholic tradition), family traditions, boarding capacity for rural and outback dwellers. Parkes' Free, Secular and Compulsory is a default base, not the ultimate.

Pretty strongly disagree that most private school kids are having a quick weekend trip to Vanuatu for their birthdays.
No, true not most. But enough that it's a thing.

That and things like $20k+ for o/s cricket tours and the like.

The private school I went to was not at that level, but $1k for the school ski trip still marked out the haves from the have nots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, true not most. But enough that it's a thing.

That and things like $20k+ for o/s cricket tours and the like.

The private school I went to was not at that level, but $1k for the school ski trip still marked out the haves from the have nots.
Fair enough. I think private schools are for the most part a load of bullshit purely because of the money involved. But if my kid was offered a full paid scholarship I wouldn't turn it down because of entitled rich kid culture or anything like that. I do think they are better, but not significantly by the amount more they cost.

All the articles and research I had a look at said pretty much exactly this. Private school is only worth it to get a higher university entrance score.

An adjunct. Private education isn't necessarily only about academic results, there are other factors, religious affiliation, perceived values within religious orientations (Jesuit, Christian Brothers, Dominican, Mercy, Charity, Carmalite etc within the Catholic tradition), family traditions, boarding capacity for rural and outback dwellers. Parkes' Free, Secular and Compulsory is a default base, not the ultimate.
So the majority of reasons you've suggested are not positives of private education. And then there's the question of whether taxpayer funds should be going to prop up religious values systems (given that public schools also value helping others, charity, kindness etc).

All the articles and research I had a look at said pretty much exactly this. Private school is only worth it to get a higher university entrance score.
I'd also argue that private schooling in lower SES areas is worth the money for the cultural difference.

How do you know that, though? Where’s Gethelred when you need him!?
I was at work, and having attended a private school and had placement at a private and public school, I agree with Chief.

Private schools do a number of things to try and extort work from recalcitrent students, and a number of those things are compliance rather than educative in nature and rely on improved facilities/resources (ie, throwing bodies or technology at a problem rather than addressing it) rather than improved teaching or lesson planning focussed on student difference or self motivation.

Public schools have to make do with less, and as with all things better tools does not a craftsman make.

I wanted inherently to disagree with this, but that presumed I knew what you meant by cultural difference.

With that in mind, what do you mean by cultural difference in this context?
People who know not to clap at the end of the first act at the opera.

Government funding for private schools is less per capita than public schools. The existence of private schools reduces overall cost of schooling for governments, so should theoretically be supported by those who value education.

Please change your avatar if you gonna keep spouting this elitism crap.

I wanted inherently to disagree with this, but that presumed I knew what you meant by cultural difference.

With that in mind, what do you mean by cultural difference in this context?
The difference is primarily in parents who value education vs those who don't, which has an flow on effect to how the children respond in school. I don't believe teachers are any better at private schools, so the difference is with students.

Children with higher SES parents are given a blueprint for, and are encouraged in, academic achievement while children of lower SES parents aren't. That's a generalisation, but I believe it's one that would have a high correlation with schooling outcomes.

That's my rudimentary analysis. I'm happy to be proven wrong.

So the majority of reasons you've suggested are not positives of private education. And then there's the question of whether taxpayer funds should be going to prop up religious values systems (given that public schools also value helping others, charity, kindness etc).
Your "positives of private education" are precisely what private education was established for. Taxpayer funds going to private schools State Aid, ensure that the children of those who have already paid for education, through their taxes, share the benefits of those payments with the rest of society. Basic fairness. Your "prop up of religious values" is cost to the parents, not the community, otherwise there would be no school fees. The reality is that the grossly underappreciated Catholic education system, particularly through its unpaid religious order teachers, massively subsidised Colonial and State governments' Education obligations before 1963.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back