Roast Media Shakes Head, Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best commentators of the last 40 -50 years are literally the ones doing SANFL in the 70s & 80s - Ian Day, Peter Marker, Gerry Harrison, Ian Aitken, David Darcy and early 80s version Bruce McAvaney.

They were better than their commercial counterparts covering the VFL (ABC had good ones on the Winners), and so much better than the over-the-top slop we get on AFL coverage now.

The best commentators of the last 40 -50 years are literally the ones doing SANFL in the 70s & 80s - Ian Day, Peter Marker, Gerry Harrison, Ian Aitken, David Darcy and early 80s version Bruce McAvaney.

They were better than their commercial counterparts covering the VFL (ABC had good ones on the Winners), and so much better than the over-the-top slop we get on AFL coverage now.
Agreed, the blokes you have named were 100x better than eg Lou Richards and Jack Dyer, who were both absolutely vomit worthy.

Richard's non stop pronunciation c*ck ups of any player from outside of Victoria with a non anglo name, which he would then attempt to cover up with pathetic primary school humour had to be heard to be believed.
Examples were `Porple-achea' (for Andy Porplycia) and `Lusick' (for Tom Grulisich), whose careers in the SANFL were the better part of 10 years apart, and that was regularly followed up with the extremely cringeworthy `haven't they got funny names over there? ha ha!'

Agreed, the blokes you have named were 100x better than eg Lou Richards and Jack Dyer, who were both absolutely vomit worthy.

Richard's non stop pronunciation c*ck ups of any player from outside of Victoria with a non anglo name, which he would then attempt to cover up with pathetic primary school humour had to be heard to be believed.
Examples were `Porple-achea' (for Andy Porplycia) and `Lusick' (for Tom Grulisich), whose careers in the SANFL were the better part of 10 years apart, and that was regularly followed up with the extremely cringeworthy `haven't they got funny names over there? ha ha!'

I used to think the commentators the ABC had in SA were pretty good - blokes like Malcolm McDonald and Jim Deane, etc, and when SA played against WA it was the Sandgroper commentators like George Grljusich and Wally Foreman that sounded horribly parochial*, while Dennis Cometti just sounded like a disc jockey turned footy commentator. But years later after I'd moved to WA, I heard Malcolm McDonald calling Crows games and he was absolutely cringeworthy with his parochialism.

*George and Wally remained horribly parochial, even from a WA point of view

I do think the readers are harsh on JB though. He doesn't add much, but he doesn't get too much wrong either.

One dumb pet peeve of mine with JB is that he refers to Collingwood as 'the Maggies' instead of 'the Pies'.

The historical differentiation of the two magpie teams for me, aside from ours having a vastly superior guernsey, is that the fans call their version by different nicknames. Every time I hear JB commentate a Collingwood game and I hear him call them Maggies a part of me gets stupidly annoyed.

One dumb pet peeve of mine with JB is that he refers to Collingwood as 'the Maggies' instead of 'the Pies'.

The historical differentiation of the two magpie teams for me, aside from ours having a vastly superior guernsey, is that the fans call their version by different nicknames. Every time I hear JB commentate a Collingwood game and I hear him call them Maggies a part of me gets stupidly annoyed.
Well, thank you!

I hate Brayshaw's pointless commentary with a passion. And now you've alerted me to something that even I hadn't picked up before.

Will make his game calls even worse from now on :(

I hate Brayshaw constantly mentioning what school a player went to. I couldn't give a rats toss bag what school a player went to. BT is also a repeat offender.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

I hate Brayshaw constantly mentioning what school a player went to. I couldn't give a rats toss bag what school a player went to. BT is also a repeat offender.

I just find his voice grating - he puts the bray in Brayshaw.

1667964382689.png

I'd be fine with it if they did it for every school. If you are talking about a kid's background then talk about his background. Don't just selectively talk about it IF he went to a certain school.

Mentioning what school they went to is utterly redundant

Its just a list of which kids were from wealthy families or enticed with a sports scholarship.

The only schools that should raise a mention are the shit ones - because making the afl from some backwater school / rural club is the achievement; not going to geelong grammar or going to that wank school that sends you into the wilderness for a year

To me Brayshaw epitomizes what brought the CH9 cricket commentatory undone. The matey, blokey, phwoaaaar how good is he style. Cannot stand it.

To think we went from legends like Benaud, Lawry, Greig and Chappell to these boofhead simpletons is very sad.

Guys who analysed the game and talked about technique instead of going phwoaaar look the guns on big Marcus stoinis mitch marsh is an absolute unit look at the size of him

To think we went from legends like Benaud, Lawry, Greig and Chappell to these boofhead simpletons is very sad.

Yup those guys are the sounds of summer to me. The cricket was always on the telly at my house even if no-one was watching it.

To me Brayshaw epitomizes what brought the CH9 cricket commentatory undone. The matey, blokey, phwoaaaar how good is he style. Cannot stand it.
Probably why I don't mind him - I've always enjoyed the cricket commentary.

The things which kill games for me are outright barracking for one team (BT the biggest offender), commentators with zero research done or knowledge about one or both of the teams playing (BT and Darcy big offenders, but honestly there are very few that I'd consider even at a passmark on this front), or commentators that just want to make it all about themselves and seem to not even care the game is being played as long as they can hit their catchphrases (Dwayne the best example).

I'm not sure there's even a word for what Dermie does in the box but whatever it is is pretty bad too. Borderline needs subtitles at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup those guys are the sounds of summer to me. The cricket was always on the telly at my house even if no-one was watching it.
What a ripper article.

"James Brayshaw has the emotional depth of a sock puppet during a button shortage."

"Every boundary gets an “Oof!” or a “Phwoar!” Every ball is a cherry. Everything is fantastic. Talk illustrates nothing, nor will it stay quiet and let things run."

"Brayshaw is the forward marker of the new regime: an AFL commentator who trades in hyperbole and volume and phrases like “big unit”, and calls like a man who’s kept half an eye on cricket in pubs over the years."

" In-group banter is inherently dull to the world it excludes."
Hear, bloody hear!

Last edited:

Guys who analysed the game and talked about technique instead of going phwoaaar look the guns on big Marcus stoinis mitch marsh is an absolute unit look at the size of him
AND WHAT ABOUT THE SIZE OF THE BATS THEY'RE SO ****ING BIG

The sooner we get the option for crowd sounds the better.

Or, even better the choice of selecting our own commentary stream to match the picture - even if its from a radio broadcast from a rival network.

But the AFL doesn't sign $4.5 billion broadcast right deals with a network only to see the people who actually love and watch the game have the capacity to choose whose voice they listen to and mute the boys club members that absolutely piss them off. It won't happen anytime soon.

But you'd think it would be in Foxtel/Seven interests to actually listen to what the polls tell them about what their viewers think of the quality of their commentary teams wouldn't you?

Foxtel constantly subjecting Port fans to the Crow's football director as the 'boundary rider' at Adelaide Oval games is the bloody height of arrogance.

Last edited:

Everyone likes to blame the Australian cricket team, but the shitful commentary also has to take some credit for the decline in interest.

Or, even better the choice of selecting our own commentary stream to match the picture - even if its from a radio broadcast from a rival network.

But the AFL doesn't sign $4.5 billion broadcast right deals with a network only to see the people who actually love and watch the game have the capacity to choose whose voice they listen to and mute the boys club members that absolutely piss them off. It won't happen anytime soon.

But you'd think it would be in Foxtel/Seven interests to actually listen to what the polls tell them about what their viewers think of the quality of their commentary teams wouldn't you?
On the NBA app you can choose commentary team based on home or away team. It actually works really well.

If I'm gonna have to listen to someone who knows very little about one side at least its the opposition, and if I have to listen to someone barrack at least they're barracking for Port (or Utah in this scenario).

Everyone likes to blame the Australian cricket team, but the shitful commentary also has to take some credit for the decline in interest.

Not that he was the worst offender in the commentary stakes but at least we won't be hearing Michael Slater's voice on cricket broadcasts any time soon.

Not that he was the worst offender in the commentary stakes but at least we won't be hearing Michael Slater's voice on cricket broadcasts any time soon.

for a long time healy was the worst for me. an arrogant, know it all barracker. it feels like about 20 years ago we moved away from commentary trying to be impartial, to unashamedly just cheering on da boyz in green and gold

I used to think the commentators the ABC had in SA were pretty good - blokes like Malcolm McDonald and Jim Deane, etc, and when SA played against WA it was the Sandgroper commentators like George Grljusich and Wally Foreman that sounded horribly parochial*, while Dennis Cometti just sounded like a disc jockey turned footy commentator. But years later after I'd moved to WA, I heard Malcolm McDonald calling Crows games and he was absolutely cringeworthy with his parochialism.

*George and Wally remained horribly parochial, even from a WA point of view
I was a big fan of George, Wally and Dennis calling both cricket and footy when I was a kid and young adult. Didn't really care about their parochial calls because they were great at describing the picture on radio. George was at his peak at the Olympics. Loved him doing the boxing with Benny Pyke.

We know the alternative commentaries functionality is there. Remember the old "Press red for Ed" days back in 2014 where if you wanted to listen to Eddie barrack for Collingwood rather than the regular commentary team you had the option?

Foxtel has not only the ability to provide an alternative commentary team option but no commentators at all, just listen to it just like when your at the footy

It would be amazing if Foxtel/AFL gave us that option

We know the alternative commentaries functionality is there. Remember the old "Press red for Ed" days back in 2014 where if you wanted to listen to Eddie barrack for Collingwood rather than the regular commentary team you had the option?

Foxtel has not only the ability to provide an alternative commentary team option but no commentators at all, just listen to it just like when your at the footy

It would be amazing if Foxtel/AFL gave us that option
Just shows it’s all about pushing agendas and advertising.

I miss so many Port away games because I can’t stand to watch them with the commentary, watching with no sound is weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back