Roast Media Shakes Head, Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I clicked the bait, but Wrinkles has outdone even himsel this time...

We don’t need this AFL Magic Round footy cash-grab | Graham Cornes​

The ‘Magic Round’ festival of footy – and bringing all the Victorians into SA – is just another AFL grab for cash, writes Graham Cornes.

I feel like the grinch who stole Christmas.

You know the type; the one who rains on everyone’s parade and spoils it for the rest.
I must be the only one in Adelaide who thinks that the AFL’s extra-round festival of footy isn’t a good idea. I mean, how much football is enough?

They’ve just thrown another round randomly into the football season to disrupt the balance and harmony of the traditional 22-game season. Heaven forbid, with the extra game Carlton might even make the eight next year.

And to play them all in Adelaide in the one weekend? Who on earth would come up with such a concept? It’s just another AFL grab for cash.

I appreciate our Premier, Peter Malinauskas, has done a great job in pinching the carnival from under the noses of the NSW government, but did we really pay $10 million for the privilege?

And do we really have to let Victorians in? Surely not Collingwood supporters? Our own black and white supporters are bad enough. Oh wait, didn’t Mr Malinauskas barrack for a black and white team before he was famous?

Adelaide is really for us South Australians. We have no need to share, although I suspect the hoteliers and the tourist and hospitality operators will disagree.

We have been the country’s best-kept secret for decades, why alert the rest of the world to our delights now?

It was bad enough with the Covid pandemic generating an influx of South Australians moving back home, not to mention the disenchanted eastern staters seeing the light and relocating to South Australia. Just look what that did to house prices.

From Adelaide Now
Good grief that's an awful piece in so many ways. I didn't realise dinosaurs still roamed in SA.

Greg Norman flying into Adelaide tomorrow to meet with Malinauskas to announce the SA LIV Golf tournament over the weekend 20-23 April next year (week after the footy festival).

Graham can just re-write his article again next week.
Is LIV that breakaway golf league? Sounds like a good idea for Australian Rules to do the same.

Is LIV that breakaway golf league?
Yep!

Sounds like a good idea for Australian Rules to do the same.

IMHO - No. Breakaway leagues in professional sport are all about the money. The AFL is now so financially and politically secure I can't imagine a scenario where a break away Aussie Rules league would be of any benefit to my club.

The ‘Magic Round’ festival of footy – and bringing all the Victorians into SA – is just another AFL grab for cash, writes Graham Cornes.

You know the type; the one who rains on everyone’s parade and spoils it for the rest.
I must be the only one in Adelaide who thinks that the AFL’s extra-round festival of footy isn’t a good idea. I mean, how much football is enough?

They’ve just thrown another round randomly into the football season to disrupt the balance and harmony of the traditional 22-game season. Heaven forbid, with the extra game Carlton might even make the eight next year.

And to play them all in Adelaide in the one weekend? Who on earth would come up with such a concept? It’s just another AFL grab for cash.

I appreciate our Premier, Peter Malinauskas, has done a great job in pinching the carnival from under the noses of the NSW government, but did we really pay $10 million for the privilege?

And do we really have to let Victorians in? Surely not Collingwood supporters? Our own black and white supporters are bad enough. Oh wait, didn’t Mr Malinauskas barrack for a black and white team before he was famous?

Adelaide is really for us South Australians. We have no need to share, although I suspect the hoteliers and the tourist and hospitality operators will disagree.

We have been the country’s best-kept secret for decades, why alert the rest of the world to our delights now?

It was bad enough with the Covid pandemic generating an influx of South Australians moving back home, not to mention the disenchanted eastern staters seeing the light and relocating to South Australia. Just look what that did to house prices.

From Adelaide Now
... what?

I can't even argue with his points in this article, because he hasn't actually made any.
Graham Cornes = John Candy / Del Griffith (Del being short for A-Del-aide?)

Is LIV that breakaway golf league?

LIV because they only play 54 holes. And get paid 54 times as much.

Speaking of sportswashing, I saw some dude on Twitter the other day claiming that Santos will be sponsoring the AFL's Extra Round in 2023 in a scandalous example of sportswashing, and it's all because Mali's brother is a big wig at Santos. He didn't have the blue tick, but he may have a tin foil hat.

Probably why I don't mind him - I've always enjoyed the cricket commentary.

The things which kill games for me are outright barracking for one team (BT the biggest offender), commentators with zero research done or knowledge about one or both of the teams playing (BT and Darcy big offenders, but honestly there are very few that I'd consider even at a passmark on this front), or commentators that just want to make it all about themselves and seem to not even care the game is being played as long as they can hit their catchphrases (Dwayne the best example).

I'm not sure there's even a word for what Dermie does in the box but whatever it is is pretty bad too. Borderline needs subtitles at times.
What should be totally off limits for the commentators is trial via media. There's no doubt the MRP are sometimes swayed by comments on TV: the classic one for me was the still dazed St. Kilda player being interviewed at half time, after Tom Jonas cannoned into him - Tommy never stood a chance after that.

Re sh*tpot commentators, and from memory I may have had a discussion with Grave Danger about this before, but back in the early 1970's when Sheffield Shield cricket was a big thing C9 tried broadcasting games Australia wide for a year or two.
The parochialism of the WA commentators in the games played in Perth was beyond disgraceful, and one of those commentators may have been Grulisich because I'm fairly certain I had heard the same voice in interstate footy games between SA and WA.

They were so bad in one game between WA and NSW and there were apparently so many complaints during the lunch break from viewers from other states (not just NSW) that they eventually gave an on air apology of sorts, which was along the lines they were being misunderstood.

They were openly barracking for the home team, and as an example I'm not too sure there was much to misunderstand about NSW opening bowler Steve Bernhard being described as not good enough to even be considered for the WA squad, and that was just one of their gems in what was only the first session!

IMHO - No. Breakaway leagues in professional sport are all about the money. The AFL is now so financially and politically secure I can't imagine a scenario where a break away Aussie Rules league would be of any benefit to my club.
It would never happen for the political and financial reasons as you say, but in the right circumstance a breakaway league set up by non-Victorian clubs (potentially with a handful of the smaller Victorian clubs not served by the current set up) might at least bring some level of parity in terms of how skewed the league currently is towards Victoria. For us that could/would mean wearing the PBs at our discretion, for the breakaway clubs it would mean a better share of primetime games, rotating GF venue etc. West Coast are a big enough club to drive something like this, Adelaide would be helpful if they weren't so interested in getting one over on us rather than thinking of what is in their best interests but the AFL controls enough non-Victorian boards so as to render the thought of such a breakaway redundant. So really it would never get up regardless, the AFL and all its systematic inequalities is far too entrenched now.

But it's interesting as a "burn it down and start a national league again" thought experiment

What should be totally off limits for the commentators is trial via media. There's no doubt the MRP are sometimes swayed by comments on TV: the classic one for me was the still dazed St. Kilda player being interviewed at half time, after Tom Jonas cannoned into him - Tommy never stood a chance after that.
That's a given with the current rights. The commentators are playing to their audience - Victorian football fans. We're never going to get an even break whilst this is true.

Graham Cornes exhibits why people around the country think Adelaide is only for 90 year olds.
I’m booked on a flight home, for good, on my 90th birthday in 2037.

Graham has agreed to meet me at the airport. Kane’s gonna carry my bags. Chadbro is gonna carry me.

KG is gonna carry Graham.

Re sh*tpot commentators, and from memory I may have had a discussion with Grave Danger about this before, but back in the early 1970's when Sheffield Shield cricket was a big thing C9 tried broadcasting games Australia wide for a year or two.
The parochialism of the WA commentators in the games played in Perth was beyond disgraceful, and one of those commentators may have been Grulisich because I'm fairly certain I had heard the same voice in interstate footy games between SA and WA.

They were so bad in one game between WA and NSW and there were apparently so many complaints during the lunch break from viewers from other states (not just NSW) that they eventually gave an on air apology of sorts, which was along the lines they were being misunderstood.

They were openly barracking for the home team, and as an example I'm not too sure there was much to misunderstand about NSW opening bowler Steve Bernhard being described as not good enough to even be considered for the WA squad, and that was just one of their gems in what was only the first session!

I think George was always an ABC man until he went to 6PR in the 90's, possibly because he'd become was too politically incorrect for our dear Aunty. Wally Foreman was probaly more parochial, but I don't know if that was him on the Ch9 telecasts you mention. Wally was away from the airwaves for a long time, working at the WAIS, but returned to the ABC in 2001. I remember him being a real prick to Dan Lonergan, who'd come over from Melbourne as a commentator for the ABC - I don't know if Dan had taken the job Wally wanted, or Foreman just resented an 'outsider' calling WA sports. The only issue I had with Dan was that he would always say "the former Bulldog/Tiger/Swan/whatever" when a player who'd changed clubs got the ball. Every single time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Adelaide Now
Un-be-lievable!

Just when I think everyone is being a bit harsh on old Cornes.... He comes out with this. It just defies belief!

nintendo switch dinosaur GIF

the bAlAnCe aNd HaRmOnY of the traditional 22 round season
It is clear to all that the only correct way to run a football season is for seventeen games of every team playing each other once, then repeating five randomly selected games. Any more or any fewer games than this will lead to chaos and the breakdown of the sport as we know it.

Also, tourism is bad for some reason.

From Adelaide Now

Some old fossiles should not be disturbed.

My only issue with Magic Round is the lack of regional games. At least 4 games should go regional with funding to upgrade the grounds hosting it. All grounds should have our state logo on it and the regional areas highly promoted on TV including adverts for tourism.

Some old fossiles should not be disturbed.

My only issue with Magic Round is the lack of regional games. At least 4 games should go regional with funding to upgrade the grounds hosting it. All grounds should have our state logo on it and the regional areas highly promoted on TV including adverts for tourism.
I'd love to see predominately regional games too.

But not for the big teams.

From Adelaide Now
Graham Cornes petitions to change the 'SA Great' slogan to 'heck off, we're full!'

I was pretty sceptical of magic round. Now that grandpa cornes has put his two bob's worth in, I'm 100% on board.
Might even offer free accomodation for a visiting Victorian family at my place
You'll change ya tune when The Milnes, The Lings & The Kings apply.

I remember a game from the late 80’s SA v NSW at Adelaide Oval on Ch 9.
A medium fast bowler playing for NSW called Richard Stobo rolling the arm over.
SA commentator (might have Ashley Mallett?) openly stating “That is why Stobo has played so little state cricket - gun barrel straight”

Funny what trivial memories the mind retains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back