Draft Expert PMBangers' (and ‘friends’) 2022 Draft Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi PMBangers . Apparently we've agreed to list Nathan Barkla as a Cat B rookie. Looks like he didn't even score a state combine invite. Have you seen much of him?

There have been some overly optimistic completely realistic comparisons to Connor Rozee on our board. Any additional thoughts, preferably grounded in reality?

Hi PMBangers . Apparently we've agreed to list Nathan Barkla as a Cat B rookie. Looks like he didn't even score a state combine invite. Have you seen much of him?

There have been some overly optimistic completely realistic comparisons to Connor Rozee on our board. Any additional thoughts, preferably grounded in reality?
Rozee is n well within the realms of reasonable supporters comparisons.
You hear stuff like he reminds me of a combination of Wayne Carey and Paul Kelly, I hope he is available at our pick at 28 or something

Hey Mr Pm

Just wondering who you see Freo targeting with the 3 top 40 Picks. Hopefully someone will slip from further up the order

You heard the voice.
Right?
Always....
insanity-crazy.gif

I've seen him but nothing notable jumps to mind when I try and remember him tbh. From memory he's got fair speed to him and can get around opponents, but I can't even say that with confidence
Hey Mr Pm

Just wondering who you see Freo targeting with the 3 top 40 Picks. Hopefully someone will slip from further up the order
Probably target some sliders if any are there, Sam Gilbey particularly may be available late second/ early third and that'd present some real value imo. With Logue and Lobb leaving, maybe guys like Phoenix Foster, Tom Scully, James Van Es, Jed Adams or Hugh Davies could be looked at to provide some height up either end as well

Hey Mr Pm

Not being facetious here, but where are Freo getting the two other top 40 picks from?

43 and 44 are unlikely to actually move inside 40, by the time it comes to actually using those picks. Especially if Essendon trade out 22, and use later picks to match the Davey bid.

Brisbane matching both Ashcroft and Fletcher only move your two picks up 3 places.

Adelaide using picks behind 44 to match the Michealany bid then pushes your picks back out one spot.

Same with GWS matching a Rowston bid, if it comes after their second round picks, and they use later picks to match.

Same again with the Davey bid.

I might not write for a fancy website like PM, but that won’t stop me jumping in when an SA kid is mentioned…

I’m glad Port look to be listing Barkla and I’d be doing the exact same thing. I thought he was reasonably impressive when he got a chance with SA and I had him on the fringes of my top 50 at that point. Unfortunately he got forced out of the side though.

There is a bit of Rozee in the way he moves - he’s fast, agile and has those light quick feet. But any other comparisons are very optimistic. Smart ball user, I think he’s neat in most things he does. Played more half back for SA, but I’d be developing him off a wing.

I might not write for a fancy website like PM, but that won’t stop me jumping in when an SA kid is mentioned…

I’m glad Port look to be listing Barkla and I’d be doing the exact same thing. I thought he was reasonably impressive when he got a chance with SA and I had him on the fringes of my top 50 at that point. Unfortunately he got forced out of the side though.

There is a bit of Rozee in the way he moves - he’s fast, agile and has those light quick feet. But any other comparisons are very optimistic. Smart ball user, I think he’s neat in most things he does. Played more half back for SA, but I’d be developing him off a wing.
Thanks Chris (& PMBangers)

I was planning to post the same question to yourself (& Mutineer ) but you beat me to it. Appreciate the insight.

Hopefully he can, one day, fill the late draft silky wingman role Amon just vacated. Though there is a little competition in that spot currently.

Not being facetious here, but where are Freo getting the two other top 40 picks from?

43 and 44 are unlikely to actually move inside 40, by the time it comes to actually using those picks. Especially if Essendon trade out 22, and use later picks to match the Davey bid.

Brisbane matching both Ashcroft and Fletcher only move your two picks up 3 places.

Adelaide using picks behind 44 to match the Michealany bid then pushes your picks back out one spot.

Same with GWS matching a Rowston bid, if it comes after their second round picks, and they use later picks to match.

Same again with the Davey bid.
Im just going by what i read in the media somewhere 😅. Hoping we can somehow strike gold here

Phantom Draft Rounds 3, 4 & 5
Crapshoot rounds here, much more 'Best available list fit' than rumour based here friends. Port, Richmond and Brisbane's picks in round 5 are only there to get each club to 3 picks in the phantom draft rather than me thinking they'll take that amount of picks. Overall even without those 3 final picks I think I've probably been pretty generous with the amount of players taken in this, 57 is probably the top end of how many might be taken, I think clubs will be far more optimistic about taking a few of these later guys in the rookie draft. I've got 9 players in my 'National Draft worthy' category still left on the board here; Will Verrell, Archie Lovelock, Phoenix Foster, Jack Cleaver, Seth Campbell, Lloyd Johnston, Rye Penny, Hudson O'Keeffe, Jason Gilbee and Jonti Schuback, and pretty much all of them were considered at one point or another in this portion of the draft, and I wouldn't be surprised to see any of them taken prior to the rookie draft, or invited as train-on players over the summer.

I've also got a list of a further 30 guys that I'd give a shot on the rookie list, or at least offer a state league position to if I was a club, so I think there's some depth in that regard but think the rookie draft will once again be mostly used to re-list players or pick up delisted guys unfortunately, but the positive there is that it makes the MSD a bit more exciting next year.

R3,4,5.PNG

Pick 38 - Western Bulldogs - Billy Dowling
North Adelaide | SA
Balanced Midfielder
187 cm 80 kg

Pick 39 - Fremantle - Sam Gilbey
Claremont | WA
General Defender
187 cm 73 kg

Pick 40 - Hawthorn - Mitch Szybkowski
Dandenong Stingrays | VIC Country
Inside Midfielder
186 cm 86 kg

Pick 41 - Hawthorn (Matched Bid) - Cooper Vickery
Gippsland Power | VIC Country
Small Defender
181 cm 72 kg

Pick 42 - Sydney - Tom McCallum
Clarence | TAS
General Defender
192 cm 82 kg

Pick 43 - North Melbourne - Cooper Harvey
Northern Knights | VIC Metro
Small Forward | Inside Midfielder
180 cm 82 kg

Pick 44 - Essendon (Matched Bid) - Anthony Munkara
West Adelaide | NT
General Forward
187 cm 81 kg

Pick 45 - Fremantle - Tom Scully
West Adelaide | SA
Tall Forward
203 cm 89 kg

Pick 48 - Carlton - James Van Es
GWV Rebels | VIC Country
Tall Defender
197 cm 99 kg

Pick 50 - Collingwood - Hugh Bond
GWV Rebels | VIC Country
Inside Midfielder/ General Defender
185 cm 82 kg

Pick 52 - Richmond - Harry Lemmey
West Adelaide | SA
Tall Forward
200 cm 95 kg

Pick 54 - Geelong - Harvey Gallagher
Bendigo Pioneers | VIC Country
Small Utility
179 cm 77 kg

Pick 55 - Adelaide - Kaleb Smith
East Fremantle | WA
Small Defender
181 cm 77 kg

Pick 56 - Port Adelaide - Nick Sadler
Sturt | SA
Balanced Midfielder/ Small Forward
180 cm 74 kg

Pick 58 - Essendon - Jayden Davey
Oakleigh Chargers | VIC Metro
Small Forward
179 cm 79 kg

Pick 59 - Richmond - Jack O'Sullivan
Oakleigh Chargers | VIC Country
Inside Midfielder/ Small Forward
177 cm 71 kg

Pick 60 - Geelong - Jaxon Binns
Wing/ Small Forward
182 cm 70 kg

Pick 61 - Adelaide - Adam D'Aloia
Woodville-West Torrens | SA
Inside Midfielder
186 cm 83 kg

Pick 64 - Fremantle - Jed Hagan
East Fremantle | WA
Small Utility
175 cm 74 kg

Pick 66 - Western Bulldogs - Max Knobel
Gippsland Power | VIC Country
Ruck
206 cm 91 kg

Pick 70 - Port Adelaide - Luke Teal
Oakleigh Chargers | VIC Metro
General Defender/ Balanced Midfielder
189 cm 80 kg

Pick 71 - Richmond - Jovan Petric
Western Jets | VIC Metro
Tall Forward
196 cm 87 kg

Pick 72 - Brisbane - Toby McMullin
Sandringham Dragons | VIC Country
Small Forward/ Wing
182 cm 83 kg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure a small forward is a need for the Lions 🦁
Oh my probably not, I toyed with either him as my best available or Phoenix Foster as a Tall Forward development player, which probably makes more sense with McStay leaving

but I've already done the post and the screenshot, so it'll stay

Oh my probably not, I toyed with either him as my best available or Phoenix Foster as a Tall Forward development player, which probably makes more sense with McStay leaving

but I've already done the post and the screenshot, so it'll stay
I’d love to see Lohmann join Rayner in the Lions forward line and draft a mature half-back possibly Vossy jr who can replace Rich

I’d love to see Lohmann join Rayner in the Lions forward line and draft a mature half-back possibly Vossy jr who can replace Rich
I'd personally be looking at Luke Teal or Lloyd Johnston at this point in the draft then, better overhead than Voss and faster

Don't mind this draft at all for the Dogs. Phillipou and Dowling could play forward and wing respectively until Libba's knees / Treloar's desire to play AFL give out, where they could become starting mids. Hayes is the guy we need in the back line, and it's good to have a developing ruck. Seth Campbell's one I'd really like in the rookie draft to bring zip to our forward line.

Do you rate Dowling over D'Aloia?

In the case of Nathan Barkla it's another case of the power stuffing up a SANFL club. They've taken him just because they can and to boost their SANFL team. Should never have been an NGA just like Borlase should never have been an NGA. Barkla's father a South Australian and his mother from the Philippines was always going to play Aussie rules. These tenuious NGA rules are absolute rubbish

In the case of Nathan Barkla it's another case of the power stuffing up a SANFL club. They've taken him just because they can and to boost their SANFL team. Should never have been an NGA just like Borlase should never have been an NGA. Barkla's father a South Australian and his mother from the Philippines was always going to play Aussie rules. These tenuious NGA rules are absolute rubbish
Even if Barkla is off Port's list in two years time, the likelihood is that he'd return to the SANFL with a higher level of development from that full time environment than he would've otherwise gotten just going straight into Reserves/ Seniors, so I don't think it's all doom and gloom from that perspective

Sam Gilbey, Tom scully & Jed Hagan

Where do freo sign?

Crapshoot rounds here, much more 'Best available list fit' than rumour based here friends. Port, Richmond and Brisbane's picks in round 5 are only there to get each club to 3 picks in the phantom draft rather than me thinking they'll take that amount of picks. Overall even without those 3 final picks I think I've probably been pretty generous with the amount of players taken in this, 57 is probably the top end of how many might be taken, I think clubs will be far more optimistic about taking a few of these later guys in the rookie draft. I've got 9 players in my 'National Draft worthy' category still left on the board here; Will Verrell, Archie Lovelock, Phoenix Foster, Jack Cleaver, Seth Campbell, Lloyd Johnston, Rye Penny, Hudson O'Keeffe, Jason Gilbee and Jonti Schuback, and pretty much all of them were considered at one point or another in this portion of the draft, and I wouldn't be surprised to see any of them taken prior to the rookie draft, or invited as train-on players over the summer.

I've also got a list of a further 30 guys that I'd give a shot on the rookie list, or at least offer a state league position to if I was a club, so I think there's some depth in that regard but think the rookie draft will once again be mostly used to re-list players or pick up delisted guys unfortunately, but the positive there is that it makes the MSD a bit more exciting next year.

View attachment 1555198

Pick 38 - Western Bulldogs - Billy Dowling
North Adelaide | SA
Balanced Midfielder
187 cm 80 kg

Pick 39 - Fremantle - Sam Gilbey
Claremont | WA
General Defender
187 cm 73 kg

Pick 40 - Hawthorn - Mitch Szybkowski
Inside Midfielder