Roast Media Shakes Head, Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would never happen for the political and financial reasons as you say, but in the right circumstance a breakaway league set up by non-Victorian clubs (potentially with a handful of the smaller Victorian clubs not served by the current set up) might at least bring some level of parity in terms of how skewed the league currently is towards Victoria. For us that could/would mean wearing the PBs at our discretion, for the breakaway clubs it would mean a better share of primetime games, rotating GF venue etc. West Coast are a big enough club to drive something like this, Adelaide would be helpful if they weren't so interested in getting one over on us rather than thinking of what is in their best interests but the AFL controls enough non-Victorian boards so as to render the thought of such a breakaway redundant. So really it would never get up regardless, the AFL and all its systematic inequalities is far too entrenched now.

But it's interesting as a "burn it down and start a national league again" thought experiment
The best chance of a reboot is if AFL got popular in the USA and a Paramount/Netflix type of organisation wanted the rights but the AFL wouldn't give it to them maybe they would finance a league for the rights. Its just the same as WSC in the 70's

That's a given with the current rights. The commentators are playing to their audience - Victorian football fans. We're never going to get an even break whilst this is true.

as a spectacle and contest, the Showdown is arguably the AFL’s premier product, but they’ve spent the past 25 years burying it in obscure timeslots without national free-to-air coverage because of a criminal lack of vision.

what should by now be a nationally-celebrated contest on par with the other minor round blockbusters — with a quarter-century of proper promotion in conjunction with the game speaking for itself — is still just a regional oddity playing out in the shadows behind Essendon-St Kilda or some other utterly forgettable fixture, because “Victoria”.

comical.

as a spectacle and contest, the Showdown is arguably the AFL’s premier product, but they’ve spent the past 25 years burying it in obscure timeslots without national free-to-air coverage because of a criminal lack of vision.

what should by now be a nationally-celebrated contest on par with the other minor round blockbusters — with a quarter-century of proper promotion in conjunction with the game speaking for itself — is still just a regional oddity playing out in the shadows behind Essendon-St Kilda or some other utterly forgettable fixture, because “Victoria”.

comical.

Like when it finally gets recognised with a Friday night time slot but they shoe-horn in a Melbourne v Essendon snooze fest as the nationally televised game as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was lying awake at night in memorial hospital last year after having had yet another knee clean up when an AFL player (who shall remain anon) came in to the room opposite having had a scan and minor surgery.

The discussion in the corridor was quite clear about admitting him under a fake name and using that name on the ward chart to keep media off the scent.

I assume this happens frequently.

We play and follow a high impact game when the risk of injuries is high. By seasons end there would barely be a single AFL player who is not carrying an injury of some sort. How they are managed and rehabilitated to be able to take the field again and again (probably in detriment to their long term health once they leave the game) is a bloody miracle imho. And the fact is that some clubs have better miracle workers than others.
Jeez the memorial have been the place to go for knees for quite a while, my dad was talking about his knee reco at the memorial in the 70s yesterday

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Yep!

IMHO - No. Breakaway leagues in professional sport are all about the money. The AFL is now so financially and politically secure I can't imagine a scenario where a break away Aussie Rules league would be of any benefit to my club.
Actually, it can't happen.
If you remember back in the 90's, there was a breakaway league formed in the Rugby - we even got a team out of it (Adelaide Rams, from memory).
Anyway, the AFL panicked, as they didn't want the same thing happening in footy, so they forced all the clubs to sign over everything to them - Club names, colours, motifs, guernseys - everything. The AFL now own those trademarks.

So, if Collingwood left to join a breakaway league they could do it, but they couldn't call themselves the Collingwood Football club, or the Magpies, or use their guernseys or even their colours. Same goes for any other team.

This is what actually shits me with the whole prison bars fiasco - Collingwood technically don't have a say - none of it is their IP anymore - it's the AFL's.
The AFL could at any stage just say, yep they can wear it.

But the yellowbacks won't :(

Last edited:
Actually, it can't happen.
If you remember back in the 90's, there was a breakaway league formed in the Rugby - we even got a team out of it (Adelaide Rams, from memory).
Anyway, the AFL panicked, as they didn't want the same thing happening in footy, so they forced all the clubs to sign over everything to them - Club names, colours, motifs, guernseys - everything. The AFL now own those trademarks.

So, if Collingwood left to join a breakaway league they could do it, but they couldn't call themselves the Collingwood Football club, or the Magpies, or use their guernseys or even their colours. Same goes for any other team.

This is what actually shits me with the whole prison bars fiasco - Collingwood technically don't have a say - none of it is their IP anymore - it's the AFL's.
The AFL could at any stage just say, yep they can wear it.

But the yellowbacks won't :(
Good post.
It would just have to start up in the same way the IPL and BBL start up.

Cant trademark Suburb/City names as they’re public I think, Can trademark guernseys along with accompanying colour combinations (but there are comps all over Australia that use same guernseys as AFL teams - Glenelg / Richmond for instance).

It wouldn’t succeed however as mentioned Australia not a big enough market.
Maybe if a WAFL or SNAFL started down the expansion route themselves, they could develop one theoretically but too late now

The SUNS are going amazingly well, says the article announcing their new sponsorship with a car company nobody has ever heard of and the withdrawal of their stadium naming rights sponsor.
LOL. Sixt are a huge international car rental company from Europe. They have just taken over from Thrift as the NRMA's franchise car rental company, based in 160 branches & all major airports in Oz. Getting their sponsorship is actually a bit of a coup.

Last edited:
Seems that the Crows aren't the only entitled bunch going around:$

View attachment 1555476
Why does this ruffle your feathers? The reference here is to television viewers in Queensland of both Lions & the Suns, not supporters of the Suns. The fact is that QLD has a population of 5.3 million, vs South Aus at 1.7 milion. The population also is rising daily with new arrivals from southern states, many of whom are AFL supporters. Then along with the local organic growth of interest in AFL, which is a reality, what he is saying is quite feasible.

Add to that the decline in quality of the Adelaide Crows, and the disenfranchised nature of many Port supporters with interest in the game declining, I would say it is not only feasible, it is more likely probable!

So no point in insulting the Suns chief for making a reasonable calculation. Better off getting stuck into the two SA clubs to get their act together, to make the game more watchable to SA viewers!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really. I do like Queensland though, and am quite happy to no longer live in the Adelaide bubble of small-minded myopia!

i tell you what it's been bogging me down the last 2 years as i've realised the people are as insular as they say the city is

Not really. I do like Queensland though, and am quite happy to no longer live in the Adelaide bubble of small-minded myopia!

Don't be like that.

To be fair I reckon if you were to look through the club threads of all of the teams on BF you will find the sort of groupthink bullshit that you're referring to here. It's the nature of being part of a tribe of footy club.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back