Can Alistair Clarkson lead North to a premiership? Or has footy gone past him?

Remove this Banner Ad

bd8a8e12-a036-40e8-8ed6-f58ef2a525f6_text.gif

Wonder if Caro will have the integrity and guts to congratulate Clarko on the stunning job he is doing at North so far ? Not holding my breath, but this is extraordinary really.
LOL! According to her and flognuts Cornes, it was WC being so bad as to why we won last week, and they will be lamenting Freo this week while ignoring us.

Genuine question did you think North would win? Not many(including me) gave them a chance. Regardless of how close they made it they were the better side all night.
Strange take for a side that's coming off back to back spoons.

I thought we could win based on the way we played last week and the way Freo played last week. Freo looked vulnerable but it was going to take a big effort to beat them at home.
And we just fell in.
Clarko has transformed our team.

At the very least a likely 3-0 start will take the some of the pressure off Clarko. More overblown media speculation of course about his state of mind, but the past few months can’t have been easy for him. Looks like the entire club has rallied around him and he's got some young talent to work with. Exciting time for the Roos.

A few Sam Mitchell fanboy Hawk supporters said as such here. We had to let him go as he wouldnt be any good at a rebuild and getting a young team developed.

Meanwhile Hawthorn... Hrmm...

Not forgetting Clarko had a big part in Sam succeeding him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a nostalgia for the 90's with regards to a lot of things, sport, music, society in general. Life just seemed to be more innocent and simpler back then. It was a great decade for footy, when ourselves and North Melbourne were competing for and winning flags.

North Melbourne were the team of the 90's though. I don't care what any Eagles fan says! That Roos team probably should have at least won another two flags as well.

The Roos are in good hands under Clarko. What i'd like to see is both Carlton and North Melbourne emerge as forces to be reckoned with again. 1999 was when we both last played in a grand final.

Maybe we might have a Carlton and North Melbourne grand final once again in the next few years. Obviously i'd be hoping that we get our revenge for that 1999 grand final defeat though!

Last edited:
Don't worry, five years of the Bard and they'll have forgotten you exist.
Brad Scott was a polarising coach at North.

Some liked him for stability. Some dislike him for a lack of a flag.

Crazy to think that North despite the finances or lack of finances, won 4 finals when Brad Scott made finals.

I wouldn't mind Justin Longmuir have a finals stint like north had from 2012-16.

Freo won 4 finals from 2012-15 under the coaching of Ross Lyon.

Brad Scott was a solid coach... Better than Mark Neeld LoL

I think Alistair Clarkson is better than Mark Neeld LoL
I defended Scott alot during the criticism he copped, since I joined BF actually. It blew me away in 2015 how many people wanted him gone.

But looking back, and after hearing a few things about he did stuff I think he was a poor coach and a good coach, like Clarko for example, would have got a flag (at least one) out of that side. Scott was able to generate 20 wins from 25 games, including winning the last nine of those in a row, its just that he started that in the middle of one season (2015) and finished in the middle of the next (2016).

And really in 2016 if we hadn't lost three of our most important players to injury and another couple of lesser tier players we would have pushed much deeper into finals, possibly beaten the Dogs as well. So he was also unlucky that year.

But you make your own luck.

He didn't build depth, that's why we struggled after those injuries, and he didn't develop youth. His fitness and skills training was very average and he wasn't able to build a side with psychological resilience. its unlikely we win the last two games this year if Brad Scott circa the 2010s was coaching imo.

Of course he should have learnt from all this so should be better at Tullamarine or wherever they move next. Might even win them a final this year.

(LOL - Yeah right.)

A few Sam Mitchell fanboy Hawk supporters said as such here. We had to let him go as he wouldnt be any good at a rebuild and getting a young team developed.

Meanwhile Hawthorn... Hrmm...
Seriously?

Clarko is the main reason why the Hawks are where they are right now... Not Mitchell...

The guy can obviously coach football team - it's never been in dispute - but he created a mess at Hawthorn by not developing any youth to take over from the 3peat guns. What he did after 2016 was horrendous. Both parties needed a fresh start.

I was stoked he chose North. I wish him well. I'm glad they're off to a flier. Hopefully, Clarkson can have some finals success with the Kangas. I'll be barracking for them as my 2nd/3rd 'team' like I did in the 90's when they had Pagan & Carey. I never really liked North much when they had Laidley & Brad Scott coaching them. They were always a campaignery side who liked to niggle and pick fights and then squeal if anyone gave a bit back. It'll be refreshing to cheer them on for a change.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back