Have the Crows gone past Carlton?

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton have the talent, but their leg speed and ball movement is way too slow. They need to recruit faster players that are fast and fit. Compare that to Adelaide, who may not be as talented as Carlton but have speed and can run all match.

Work rate + speed > talent that lacks speed and work rate.

Also, Carlton need to update their gameplan or be better coached. Half of the players don't seem to know what they should do next with the ball whereas Adelaide players have better synergy across the side.

I agree with this, but the only part I don’t is getting rid of McKay.

You simply don’t trade out KPFs who have won a Coleman. If there is anyone you are trading out which will be controversial, it’s Paddy Cripps.

Would send shockwaves through the competition, but when you’ve got Hewett, Walsh, Kennedy and Cerra, you’ll land on your feet, particularly when they’re feeding a Curnow AND McKay which will trouble any defence.

Crippa’s contract will alleviate pressure of their cap, allow them to re-sign TDK, and possibly bring in another quality winger.
Yep, they need to get rid of one of their slower midfielders and replace them with runners. Especially ones that cost a lot.

Collingwood are playing much better despite losing Treloar and Grundy. Previously, people would not have expected that losing players like this would improve them, but they did improve. They are more balanced as a side now.

Even with Richmond, we lost one of our most important players in Deledio, and our side improved markedly. Having some room in the salary cap would give Carlton an opportunity to address their issues adequately, even if it means losing a player as good as Cripps. Doesn't have to be him, but it needs to be someone that's slowing the midfield down.

I think carlton should have the talent... actually they do have the talent. Look at their spine. Genuine stars up and down. As good as any club. The problem is the gameplan and coach. Voss simply is not a good coach, was a great player but sometimes great players don't always translate to great coaches. This is now proven.

Imagine is Ross was the coach and had the onfield talent of carlton. Of course they wouldn't kick many goals but their players would be working so much harder imho and they wouldn't need to kick so much more. The team leaks way too many goals. Ross would take them at least to the grand final

I agree with this, but the only part I don’t is getting rid of McKay.

You simply don’t trade out KPFs who have won a Coleman. If there is anyone you are trading out which will be controversial, it’s Paddy Cripps.

Would send shockwaves through the competition, but when you’ve got Hewett, Walsh, Kennedy and Cerra, you’ll land on your feet, particularly when they’re feeding a Curnow AND McKay which will trouble any defence.

Crippa’s contract will alleviate pressure of their cap, allow them to re-sign TDK, and possibly bring in another quality winger.
Wow, Adelaide would be happy to take Cripps for a first rounder.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Exactly. You can chase whatever types you want but if you don’t get the right ones it means nothing. All of Williams, Gov, Martin and Saad are types we need. They just haven’t performed as expected
Anyone who watches Carlton would know we desperately need players like what Gov and Martin could have possibly become.

Strategically the biggest mistake we have made is not chasing “gut” running mids. KP depth is abit of a problem but we could manage ok if other areas were stronger.

And hence list management has been poor. Getting those blokes in at very high dollars and yet having a gaping hole around running mids is limiting the team's ability to win games in the now. Further to the now, it will limit your ability to develop the list in the coming years given they're on large contracts. I expect at least a couple of them to be moved on (with Carlton paying some of their salary) at years end.

I doubt it .. Cripps best is way past him ... he wasted his career getting banged up and never playing finals...
I don't know, if Sloane retires/ delisted at the end of the season, Cripps is exactly who you want playing in the finals/ GF. He'd be 29 at the beginning of next year, if he passed a fitness test I'd take him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know, if Sloane retires/ delisted at the end of the season, Cripps is exactly who you want playing in the finals/ GF. He'd be 29 at the beginning of next year, if he passed a fitness test I'd take him.
I would take him. Would be interesting whether a player like him would interrupt the development of Soligo, Rachele and Pedlar though.

And hence list management has been poor. Getting those blokes in at very high dollars and yet having a gaping hole around running mids is limiting the team's ability to win games in the now. Further to the now, it will limit your ability to develop the list in the coming years given they're on large contracts. I expect at least a couple of them to be moved on (with Carlton paying some of their salary) at years end.
No that’s got nothing to do with them, that’s Kennedy, Hewett and Dow.

Right now, the names on the list says Carlton are better.
Watching games with my own eyes, tells me different.

Adelaide are exciting and the future looks good with their youth.

Carlton have loaded up over the past few years, trying to buy a flag.
Sadly for them, they are running out of time for this to occur.

If Carlton don't win it in the next couple of years, they may be in for another decade of pain.
They seem to lack chemistry.

I honestly thought they would be up pressing for top 4 this year.
Then again, I though Collingwood may miss the 8.

Shows I am a poor judge.
Things can change from year to year, but a few things:

- How can one "buy a flag" there is a salary cap where everyone has to spend 95-100%

- The only guy we have close to retirement is Ed Curnow, and he is hardly pivotal. Not sure why it has to happen in the next year or two or certain death

- Crows look better this year, their forward line is one of the best in the comp.

The comp is fairly even though, 14 sides have a percentage of 97.7 or above, meaning all of those sides are pretty competitive and the opposition only needs to be a little bit off for one of those sides to beat another.

We may end up having a s**t year, it happens, but doesn't mean we need to blow the list up. We have a core of outstanding talent, its about finding the right mix, game plan and cohesion to go further.

- How can one "buy a flag" there is a salary cap where everyone has to spend 95-100%

- The only guy we have close to retirement is Ed Curnow, and he is hardly pivotal. Not sure why it has to happen in the next year or two or certain death

- Crows look better this year, their forward line is one of the best in the comp.

The comp is fairly even though, 14 sides have a percentage of 97.7 or above, meaning all of those sides are pretty competitive and the opposition only needs to be a little bit off for one of those sides to beat another.

We may end up having a s**t year, it happens, but doesn't mean we need to blow the list up. We have a core of outstanding talent, its about finding the right mix, game plan and cohesion to go further.
There's the issue.... The salary cap....

The salary cap is 13 million. Minimum is 95 percent at 12.35 million.

That's $650,000 of wriggle room.... How can you make massive improvements of getting 2-4 free agents?

Yes the salary cap increases by $500-$600,000 a year.

Make the salary cap minimum at 90 percent.

That's 1.3 million to work around.

Hell even 92.5 percent like when it was in 2010 or 2011 would be good. That is still around 1 million to wriggle around

The salary cap is what I mean by buying a flag.
Carlton have loaded up with players from other clubs on big money (some in my view not worth the expense).
They have also paid big dollars to keep the players they have (which is understandable).

The time is now for them, as I doubt they have the cap space to chase anyone else (not that historically that has been an issue for them;))
They will need to do it with the players they have, so do they have the players to do it?
If they don't have the players and need to find the missing pieces, where does this money come from?

Collingwood paid players big salaries to "buy our flag" but it didn't eventuate.
This meant we had to release players and reset, as our lack of cap space didn't allow us to find the vital missing pieces required to go that next step.

Sometimes (unless you are Geelong) if you miss that short window, you need to go down before you come back up.

And that rise back up, can take some time.

There's the issue.... The salary cap....

The salary cap is 13 million. Minimum is 95 percent at 12.35 million.

That's $650,000 of wriggle room.... How can you make massive improvements of getting 2-4 free agents?

Yes the salary cap increases by $500-$600,000 a year.

Make the salary cap minimum at 90 percent.

That's 1.3 million to work around.

Hell even 92.5 percent like when it was in 2010 or 2011 would be good. That is still around 1 million to wriggle around

Only way is front loading or back ending contracts, having high paid players retire or put on reduced contracts/traded out.

It can be done, but we do have a competition which is very even so little issues and differences between sides can appear to be a lot greater than what they are at times.

We could win our next 3 games and kingy would be talking us up as a flag chance and how great our list is.

I remember all the Melbourne have gone past Richmond threads in 2016 after the ANZAC eve match and that Richmond were the furthest team away from a flag in the comp. And it did seem that way to be fair, but things can turn very quickly if you have the top end talent and Carlton clearly do. This year is done for them as a premiership chance, but surely it will turn for this team eventually, they just need to get more speed and pressure around their top players, the crowd then gets up and about and they will get on a roll.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back