Review Round 5, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a skim through the first quarter and it wasnt as bad as I thought. I've seen some horrendous stuff on there though. The thing I find funny though is that every single week people think the umpires and commentators favour the other team. I think that's common through every set of fans though.

David king was barracking in the first quarter before he realised north were no chance.

We had lynchy but he doesn’t barrack

I think that may be the biggest score in the last 4 years at least, I don't think we've given 150 a shake in recent times.

EDIT: I take that back, looks like 156 points against North last year which was a 100 point win triumphs this one.

It was completely baffling the amounts of time Hippy was just there standing by himself.

Good to see the midfield pressure.

After that 5.0 5.0 start we really fell apart with our goal accuracy. easily hit the 200 mark.

edit: oh and I really liked the ground. looked like it was in great nick. The cows were just a bonus

Last edited:
I’ve got no issue with their efforts in the contest, but they need to know their limitations. There was a moment where Joyce called for, and received a running handball from Andrews who had just taken a mark. Only for him to put it straight down the throat of the opposition, resulting in another entry into our D50. As I said, nitpicking but it’s this kind of stuff that costs you against the good teams. Also not an isolated incident.
So he made a mistake or two. The defence has played well when we're under the pump and stood up strongly against Collingwood and Melbourne apparently two top teams.

Payne and Joyce can’t play in the same side with the deficiencies both have in their kicking game. It’s too limiting.

At least when Joyce goes back to the VFL he will know exactly what he needs to work on so that hopefully we see an improved v2 when he returns to the 1s.

Joyce and Payne were both very good despite their disposals. It wasn't as if their technique was letting them down, more their decision making. Easy fixes, they did much more right than wrong.

If you're a player like Joyce on the fringe and not blessed with the greatest amount of raw ability every little blue you make gets picked up and highlighted. I hate the way people pick on battlers when they're contributing strongly to the team.

To be fair I’ve been the opposite of HollowKnight. I haven’t been that critical of Joyce and thought he’s done well in our side but thought he performed poorly today. I think people have just noticed different things from him today. Joyce’s kicking mistakes also came early when scores were level. Dare I say a polarising performance.

Happy to still keep him in for another week. Someone mentioned Dizzy was a bit rusty in the VFL and it’s good to back in a team off a good win.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Payne and Joyce can’t play in the same side with the deficiencies both have in their kicking game. It’s too limiting.

At least when Joyce goes back to the VFL he will know exactly what he needs to work on so that hopefully we see an improved v2 when he returns to the 1s.
IMO Payne's kicking is improving and he is at a good level now, I wouldn't say it is a standout weakness any longer, Joyce just needs to stop the kicks with any nuance, KISS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bringing in Gardiner doesn't fix that at all though?

IMO Payne's kicking is improving and he is at a good level now, I wouldn't say it is a standout weakness any longer, Joyce just needs to stop the kicks with any nuance, KISS.
Even Kiddy's been struggling with his kicking since he came back.

There were a couple of ambitious dinky kicks.

Apart from that they were fine.

Joyce and Payne were both very good despite their disposals. It wasn't as if their technique was letting them down, more their decision making. Easy fixes, they did much more right than wrong.
Exactly, they need to just take the long ones down the line similar to how Dunkley doesn't try to bite off too much. That and also Coleman, Rich and Mckenna need to get on their bike a bit more and go chasing handball receives off those guys.

Really impressed with how we have managed to stop teams handballing through the centre third of the ground.
That was the standout feature of our game against the Pies and noticeable again today. Would like to see some video analysis of this because it is implemented to stop the current run and gun linkup game plans and it is working so far.

Impressed by a very professional game today. Pressure was up all day and kept the foot on the throat to put a big score on. Definitely the kind of % gain that you need a few times a year against poorer teams.

Hard not to vote for the forwards who had a day out against some strangely terrible defensive zoning. But really the all ground pressure just kept pumping the ball in there to give them every opportunity to score. I was to be honest most impressed with how the forwards all looked to share it around. No glory hogging at all

Really liked the double teaming in the ruck and switching forward. Im usually critical of match selection but think we have been really smart how Fort has been in and out of the team. Think its great to rest guys and use the horses for courses selclections there

Sounds like Dev and others in the twos played really well, but I'd struggle to see anyone dropping out from this game - baring injuries or management. Away to GWS is another road trip to consider giving breaks for maybe

Back