Autopsy “You’re s**t at Dying” Freo Trounce the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Game plan: bomb it in to forwardline, lock it in for stoppage, Fyfe as forward plays dominant mid role, snaps multiple goals.

Nice to have a win.
Great to see Brayshaw dominate for the 1st time this year.
Jackson did what Jackson should do. Great marking and presence around the ground but it's his gathering of the ground ball for a big guy which is just superb. More of that please Mr Jackson.
Maybe I watch through Rose coloured glasses but Amiss was awesome. He leads at the ball so fast and times his leads beautifully, plus he just has great anticipation. A few times he was completely by himself winning the ball because he knows where the ball will go. Just a natural footballer. In 3 years he'll be one of the dominate forwards in the competition.
Great end to end running from our half backs and wings. I thought Erasmus was great in this area for someone with only a handful of games.
We'll face sterner test but it's better to win than lose so happy to enjoy the rest of the week with a W next to our name.

I’m not sure we need to:

Brayshaw (23 y.o. 185cm)
Serong (22 y.o. 179cm)
O’Driscoll (20 y.o 188cm)
Johnson (20 y.o. 192cm)
Erasmus (19 y.o. 190cm)

We’ve got height and size coming through, they are just super young. This quintet of players are premiership material in the right age bracket. We need a 6th like Ed Langdon, elite endurance runner, preferably with good skills.

We’ve also got:

Brodie (24 y.o. 190cm)
Aish (27 y.o. 183cm)
JOM (29 y.o. 184cm)
Fyfe (31 y.o. 191cm)

At the moment the older quartet are playing within themselves for a variety of reasons. Brodie hasn’t captured last years form. He was elite in the GC match up when he came on, but other games has been below his best last year. JOM has been disappointing but his last 2 games have been his best thus far. Hopefully he’s building chemistry. You do expect a 29 year old to hit peak straight away, but maybe that’s over asking. Aish is meh at the moment. He gets shifted around and generally under performs in most positions. He gets a lot of credits for curtailing an injured Oliver last year. We all love Fyfe and hopefully this is the end of his recurrent injuries.

We’ve got an enigma in Henry, I’m not sure he makes it. I think Worner could become that hard running winger. I’m not sure his disposal is better than Ed Langdon, but you could live with that.

There isn’t a lot of depth, I wouldn’t mind drafting some more mids, in a perfect world the younger O’Driscoll gives good Freo vibes and might be there around our first pick this year. That would round off the midfield quite nicely.

Was Oliver injured last year? I recall him having 24 possession in the first half when we were getting smashed.

Didn’t watch the game. Didn’t watch much last week either but know about the handball style.

How did we play last night and what was our game style like? Also are my views on Treacy still correct..I see he was subbed out.

Didn’t watch the game. Didn’t watch much last week either but know about the handball style.

How did we play last night and what was our game style like? Also are my views on Treacy still correct..I see he was subbed out.

Biggest difference was that when we had the ball at half back we kicked into the corridor and hit the target. Lots of aggressive kicks into the middle of the field, only two or so misses in that group too.

The ball moved fast.

Biggest difference was that when we had the ball at half back we kicked into the corridor and hit the target. Lots of aggressive kicks into the middle of the field, only two or so misses in that group too.

The ball moved fast.
Worth watching on a replay??

Were we playing against cones though?? How switched on were Hawks?

Worth watching on a replay??

Were we playing against cones though?? How switched on were Hawks?

Hawks couldn't put on the sort of running pressure to stop that ball movement.

You'll enjoy watching the game. We were destroyed at centre clearances but the defence stood up. Most of their goals were from clear mistakes by our players such as Erasmus keeping the ball alive with a flick kick when he should have taken it over the line.

Surely Erasmus and Johnson can push to the wings at times. Serong was talked up being a forward mid hybrid when drafted so perhaps he could do a Toby Greene impersonation for a 20% of the time.

How much longer will Fyfe and Walters go around?
Erasmus played wing at times last night.

We played a bit of handball. The game style was generally fast and attacking.
When we fumbled and made mistakes we did tend to resort to resort to our timid unsure self's.
It's the confidence of the individual and being able to trust in your team mates that needs to grow and this game is the beginning 🙏

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'll enjoy watching the game. We were destroyed at centre clearances but the defence stood up. Most of their goals were from clear mistakes by our players such as Erasmus keeping the ball alive with a flick kick when he should have taken it over the line.
Still destroyed in clearances. That’s not good!

The ball moved fast.
Easy to do against a young team that doesn’t know how to defend the corridor. But being a young team ourselves there’s always a half second hesitation against the good teams that sees those plays ahead of time.

At some point we’ll instinctually go to the corridor and there will be a player who is there, and the players who don’t run those lines with the precision of an atomic clock will no longer be in the team.

We played a bit of handball. The game style was generally fast and attacking.
When we fumbled and made mistakes we did tend to resort to resort to our timid unsure self's.
It's the confidence of the individual and being able to trust in your team mates that needs to grow and this game is the beginning 🙏
I guess we lacked that as we had different personnel in every line of the team.

Feel like we didn’t do enough to build that synergy in preseason. Better late than never.

I think he thought ??Banfield was there. They were running along side each other initially but Bannas sprinted forward to get any possible handball. Still, probably needed to just let it go out.

I think he thought ??Banfield was there. They were running along side each other initially but Bannas sprinted forward to get any possible handball. Still, probably needed to just let it go out.
The attitude was right but yes, just secure the field position and do what the team behind you was expecting.

Erasmus 16 touches, 8 tackles (equal most on ground), 4 clearances, 7 contested, 75% disposal efficiency.

A lot to work with in only his 7th game.

Erasmus showed plenty last night, he should become a very good long term player for Freo going on that display.

Amiss has the goods also.

Great to see LJ playing up to his potential too.

Meek was very good for the Hawks but unfortunately there is only room for one of he and Darcy at Freo ☹️

The Hawks are a poor side atm and we will have much tougher games but overall there were good signs last night.

Erasmus showed plenty last night, he should become a very good long term player for Freo going on that display.

Amiss has the goods also.

Great to see LJ playing up to his potential too.

Meek was very good for the Hawks but unfortunately there is only room for one of he and Darcy at Freo ☹️

The Hawks are a poor side atm and we will have much tougher games but overall there were good signs last night.
Teams with better form than us have struggled to put the Hawks away. 10+ goal against Hawthorn is about what good teams do, so while it’s not suggestive of a massive improvement of form, it is a good sign.

I didn't mind Erasmus doing that and I don't think the coaches will either, as he was trying to make the most of the 2 v 1 and as it was on our forward flank it was the right thing to do. His teammate (I think it was Freddy) didn't read it and ran too far forward.

I didn't mind Erasmus doing that and I don't think the coaches will either, as he was trying to make the most of the 2 v 1 and as it was on our forward flank it was the right thing to do. His teammate (I think it was Freddy) didn't read it and ran too far forward.
Nah that was a coach killer! Either pick the ball up or run it over the Boundry, but in saying that he is still young and he can be forgiven.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back