Autopsy “You’re s**t at Dying” Freo Trounce the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots to like. I think what we saw last night was how we want to play but against the better sides we haven’t been able to get it going.

Hopefully last night gives them the confidence that’s been missing. It certainly felt like a lot of players found their mojo.

Noddy makes such a difference when he’s up & about. He adds the same sort of glue as Acres was. Linking up in all the right places.
Let us never speak of Hughes as a wing again. He’s a good defender.

What a joy to see Cox back in form. Similar Ryan. Pearce was ok instead of terrible.
The running defenders were all great - Clark, Walker, Young.

O’Meara played his first quality game as did Brayshaw. Mids are still a work in progress but didn’t Fyfe make a difference. He & Jaeger seemed to work well. I actually thought Aish was good too. Best game for a while.

Erasmus must stay. He brings real intensity & seems a bit of a talismanic type like Noddy & Walker who makes the whole system better.

I’m not sure how we get Johnson, Ras, Fyfe, O’Meara, Brayshaw & Serong all in but it’s what we need. Still think Andy could be a wing.
I’m hoping Chappy & Noddy are the ultimate wing pair.

So happy to see Fyfe back & his touch was pretty good. Still got the yips, sigh but he’s what we need to get our midfield back to competitive so suck it up JL. Play him as a mid.

Credit to Banfield, played a very good game. He does have a history of being great when the pressure is low but disappears when it’s faster. Not Robinson Crusoe there though & he was genuinely very good last night.

Amiss was great. He’s going to be some player.
Freddy terrific & Walters, Switta both good.

I hope Treacy gets another go. Plenty of time to develop him but deserves at least a couple in a row. He does seem to struggle for confidence in the big time. Stuff he makes look easy at WAFL he can’t get going. Hopefully he’s not another Ryan Murphy.

Best of all Luke Jackson. He was incredible at times. The clean hands, sidestep, selling candy, throwing his weight around, straight long kicks at goal. That’s what we’ve been waiting to see!

Going to be interesting to see if it’s clicked. I suspect we’ll regress again against serious pressure in the next few weeks but so long as it’s trending upwards I’m good.
Last night was the first time we’ve looked like the team that did so well last year. Cox was freaking imperious at times & Ryan looked like Ryan again. Confidence is a strange thing.

Fyfe was incredible last night but can we have a forward coach that teaches him about the importance of the ball drop.
Watch footage of the great goal kickers and they exaggerate the hunch over the ball to get their hand down close to the kicking foot. Fyfe’s issue is he drops the ball from above his waist. It will always be a lottery from this height. Easily fixed as he does the rest correctly.

Fyfe was incredible last night but can we have a forward coach that teaches him about the importance of the ball drop.
Watch footage of the great goal kickers and they exaggerate the hunch over the ball to get their hand down close to the kicking foot. Fyfe’s issue is he drops the ball from above his waist. It will always be a lottery from this height. Easily fixed as he does the rest correctly.
watching 90% of players set shots is genuinely bewildering - its not exactly a mystery to kick the ball straight

The thing is you could train him to fix it even at this late age because he’s literally not going to get any worse at it no matter what you try.

I cringe a little bit at Amiss’s technique but I would be loath to change it as it works. Fyfe’s simply doesn’t, there is nothing lost by getting someone on board to fix it.

Hmmm was watching The Game yesterday and Mark Lecras think it's mental and in his head rather than technique.

Lecras think spent time with Freo forwards few years ago. He also had a beautiful kick for goal

Pretty sure Fyfe was working on his kicking off season so if was technique you'd think that was worked on

Last edited:
A quick point I haven't read yet...it was pleasing to see Ryan actually look for and hit up targets in the corridor and not just delaying the kick and eventually bombing it forward.

Attaching from the half back line is far easier when the ball is brought back into the corridor. It opens the game up and allows players like Clark, Young and Walker to overlap for the handball receive.

Ryan is a beautiful kick and we need his distribution to be setting up attacks from the back line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re-watched the game last night - Erasmus was even better than I thought watching live at the game, that was a really impressive effort first up, great intent with his tackling and follow up. As I said in the Peel thread, Brodie is unlikely to take his spot back from Ras if he keeps that up.

The energy of the whole team was up. NOD and obviously Brayshaw both looked to have their match fitness back.

Good signs going forward, I reckon we're a great chance vs. Sydney this week.

Hmmm was watching The Game yesterday and Mark Lecras think it's mental and in his head rather than technique.

Lecras think spent time with Freo forwards few years ago. He also had a beautiful kick for goal

Pretty sure Fyfe was working on his kicking off season so if was technique you'd think that was worked on
Yeah its 100% a mental thing. He would've practices thousands of set shots with dozens of different techniques to try and get the ball drop right.

Has there been any follow up from the afl after Frost's front on attack on Schulz, when he was smashed into the next post code while standing under a high ball just to the right of the northern goal square?

The way I saw it the dawk's player ran at least 10 metres before jumping into the air and bracing for heavy contact using his whole body weight against a totally defenceless opponent, and in my opinion it should have been graded as a charge or unduly rough play and at least a 1 match suspension.

Has there been any follow up from the afl after Frost's front on attack on Schulz, when he was smashed into the next post code while standing under a high ball just to the right of the northern goal square?

The way I saw it the dawk's player ran at least 10 metres before jumping into the air and bracing for heavy contact using his whole body weight against a totally defenceless opponent, and in my opinion it should have been graded as a charge or unduly rough play and at least a 1 match suspension.

Frost was a pretend tough guy all match. Cleaned up Freddy with a hip and shoulder. Pity he couldnt make a defensive spoil or shut down an Opponent.

Hawks dude only had eyes for the ball and got a spoil in.

Jye Amiss for me. Can’t wait til he has 50 games of confidence in him, he’s a rare talent.
The thing I liked most was he was constantly flying the flag. Lots of jumper punching, elbows in the back etc. At one moment he had 4 hawks defenders in his face before sonny rushed over. Didn't phase him at all. He's gonna be some player

Yeah its 100% a mental thing. He would've practices thousands of set shots with dozens of different techniques to try and get the ball drop right.
Yeah if you've ever had the yips it doesn't matter how many times you practice it. You could kick a 100 in a row with no-one watching but as soon as the camera is on there is a feeling like that of a panic attack. It's like white noise in your head and your hands literally start shaking. The terrible ball drop isn't because of technique, it's because he's having a trauma response and loses control over his nervous system and coordination.

After a while its like PTSD and burned into the brain. Just the thought of being in the trigger situation can cause you to have a panic attack.

It's finished off the careers of some pretty talented and mentally tough professionals in many sports. Ian Baker Finch comes to mind straight away but there's lots of others. Even Greg Norman for all his bluster and prodigious talent was subject to self-destruction in final rounds.
Remember that kid drafted to Port a few years ago that could take hangers like no ones business and then spray it miles? He retired not long into his career because he couldn't get on top of it.

Just on a personal level I gave up playing even social golf as I would be overcome with such intense panic attacks I couldn't even get the ball off the first tee.
I didn't play for over 10 years and worked on my anxiety. Now I can play golf without feeling the slightest pressure but I'd hate to be in the middle of a professional sports career and be trying to do it.

Knowing what we do of Fyfe he has no doubt tried everything to overcome it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back