Autopsy “You’re s**t at Dying” Freo Trounce the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah if you've ever had the yips it doesn't matter how many times you practice it. You could kick a 100 in a row with no-one watching but as soon as the camera is on there is a feeling like that of a panic attack. It's like white noise in your head and your hands literally start shaking. The terrible ball drop isn't because of technique, it's because he's having a trauma response and loses control over his nervous system and coordination.

After a while its like PTSD and burned into the brain. Just the thought of being in the trigger situation can cause you to have a panic attack.

It's finished off the careers of some pretty talented and mentally tough professionals in many sports. Ian Baker Finch comes to mind straight away but there's lots of others. Even Greg Norman for all his bluster and prodigious talent was subject to self-destruction in final rounds.
Remember that kid drafted to Port a few years ago that could take hangers like no ones business and then spray it miles? He retired not long into his career because he couldn't get on top of it.

Just on a personal level I gave up playing even social golf as I would be overcome with such intense panic attacks I couldn't even get the ball off the first tee.
I didn't play for over 10 years and worked on my anxiety. Now I can play golf without feeling the slightest pressure but I'd hate to be in the middle of a professional sports career and be trying to do it.

Knowing what we do of Fyfe he has no doubt tried everything to overcome it.
Glad you got back to golf, EShed.

Re Fyfey, his public acknowledgement of his earlier anxiety and depression affirmed a very likely scenario. Still seems to have that troubled/clouded look but hopefully the future will continue to improve for him - and of course us!

He's tough as nails. From the freo website:

]Lachie Schultz has also bounced back well after the tough pressure forward endured a highly contested game.

“He is tough Shoota, but he has come in bubbly as ever today, plan for him to play.”

Maybe Shoota shares some genes with that monster stepbrother of Girl-with-Dragon Tattoo who had abnormal response to pain? If he's talking true I salute him.

I've watched the game thrice now - everything good and bad I could have said has already been said... But I will throw these thoughts into the mix:

1. Yes the Hawks were crap, but they weren't complete crap IMO: we were genuinely better, especially with our pressure. They weren't tanking, they're just green ...we outplayed them

2. At the risk of sparking off a row, I had an interesting thought, which was we should leave Fyfe as the sub for another week or two, we should continue to play Tracey at the opening, and we should try swapping the two once again as we did against the Hawks.

A crazy idea? Probably, yes. But here's my rationale:

-- Tracey needs more game time, and we need to keep Fyfe's body in good/better nick than normal throughout a whole season so his effective playing career is extended. Keeping Tracey in for only half the game may suck for him, but it's still better than him missing the whole game. Fyfe out for half the game means we don't get his help in the clearances for four quarters, but it does help preserve his body over the season.

-- Taking Tracey out and putting Fyfe in is very much like for like up forward size wise... Net loss in height is little.

-- Having Tracey only in for half the game (and him knowing it) means that he doesn't need to worry about leaving anything in the tank for the fourth quarter - he can run hard, tackle hard, hit packs hard, take time in the ruck, block in the midfield, really throw his weight around, and make sure whomever he's playing on is run ragged in the process. Then we swap him for Fyfe after half time, who is in the exact same boat... He has half the playing time, twice the energy to expend of everyone else, and will be far fresher than the rest of the opposing mids. Much as I like the idea of Fyfe being on the ground for the whole game, I like the idea of him being completely fresh while the opposing mids / defenders are buggered even more.

-- Tracey is a competent enough in the ruck to chop out for Darce or Jackson at a pinch. Moving him into stoppages on occasion means both Jackson and Darce get that little bit more rest during the game and helps keep both of them that little bit fresher. Given how damaging Jackson is at clearances (and how well he tackles) I like the idea of Jackson being a mid at a clearance (as opposed to the ruck) and chasing the ball Fyfe-style in the midfield -- he has the weight, size and talent to do some damage in there, and can be rotated with either Tracey or Fyfe forward for a rest.

-- the above scenarios helps keep a lot more bigger bodies in at the coal face at stoppages (which is where we are struggling most), but also helps keep them all fresher too during the game. It could provide more blocking support for our smaller mids in Andy, Serong, Ras and allow them more space to work.

-- Having Tracey attend more ruck battles allows Tracey time to not only find confidence, and more opportunity's to touch the ball, but also develop more overall versatility to his game(which is why he keeps getting swung all around the ground at Peel). Keeping him up forward all the time however only limits his contact with the ball. If we can chuck Switta and Shultz into the midfield to mix things up, then why not Tracey too? He's just good enough as a ruck to consider it, and the guy is also pretty handy below his knees which also helps.

I know this is all a bit loony as an idea, and there's lots of counter arguments that should be considered.... I just see this as the only way to include Tracey and give the guy a decent shot at developing more at AFl level. With Fyfe in the team up forward Tracey was always going to struggle as a full time KPF ...so don't try to make him compete with Fyfe for game time... Give the guy a chance to develop more strings to his generally highly athletic bow, and thereby have a longer and potentially more promising career.
I reckon this idea has tonnes of merit - particularly given the comments from Amiss about how much he likes playing with JT.

Biggest concern I have is if someone gets injured early then you can throw the plan out the window. Not a huge deal in many ways though, just means we have Fyfe on for longer and JT gets a whole game.

I've watched the game thrice now - everything good and bad I could have said has already been said... But I will throw these thoughts into the mix:

1. Yes the Hawks were crap, but they weren't complete crap IMO: we were genuinely better, especially with our pressure. They weren't tanking, they're just green ...we outplayed them

2. At the risk of sparking off a row, I had an interesting thought, which was we should leave Fyfe as the sub for another week or two, we should continue to play Tracey at the opening, and we should try swapping the two once again as we did against the Hawks.

-- Tracey needs more game time, and we need to keep Fyfe's body in good/better nick than normal throughout a whole season so his effective playing career is extended. Keeping Tracey in for only half the game may suck for him, but it's still better than him missing the whole game. Fyfe out for half the game means we don't get his help in the clearances for four quarters, but it does help preserve his body over the season.

-- Taking Tracey out and putting Fyfe in is very much like for like up forward size wise... Net loss in height is little.

-- Having Tracey only in for half the game (and him knowing it) means that he doesn't need to worry about leaving anything in the tank for the fourth quarter - he can run hard, tackle hard, hit packs hard, take time in the ruck, block in the midfield, really throw his weight around, and make sure whomever he's playing on is run ragged in the process. Then we swap him for Fyfe after half time, who is in the exact same boat... He has half the playing time, twice the energy to expend of everyone else, and will be far fresher than the rest of the opposing mids. Much as I like the idea of Fyfe being on the ground for the whole game, I like the idea of him being completely fresh while the opposing mids / defenders are buggered even more.

-- Tracey is a competent enough in the ruck to chop out for Darce or Jackson at a pinch. Moving him into stoppages on occasion means both Jackson and Darce get that little bit more rest during the game and helps keep both of them that little bit fresher. Given how damaging Jackson is at clearances (and how well he tackles) I like the idea of Jackson being a mid at a clearance (as opposed to the ruck) and chasing the ball Fyfe-style in the midfield -- he has the weight, size and talent to do some damage in there, and can be rotated with either Tracey or Fyfe forward for a rest.

-- the above scenarios helps keep a lot more bigger bodies in at the coal face at stoppages (which is where we are struggling most), but also helps keep them all fresher too during the game. It could provide more blocking support for our smaller mids in Andy, Serong, Ras and allow them more space to work.

-- Having Tracey attend more ruck battles allows Tracey time to not only find confidence, and more opportunity's to touch the ball, but also develop more overall versatility to his game(which is why he keeps getting swung all around the ground at Peel). Keeping him up forward all the time however only limits his contact with the ball. If we can chuck Switta and Shultz into the midfield to mix things up, then why not Tracey too? He's just good enough as a ruck to consider it, and the guy is also pretty handy below his knees which also helps.

I know this is all a bit loony as an idea, and there's lots of counter arguments that should be considered.... I just see this as the only way to include Tracey and give the guy a decent shot at developing more at AFl level. With Fyfe in the team up forward Tracey was always going to struggle as a full time KPF ...so don't try to make him compete with Fyfe for game time... Give the guy a chance to develop more strings to his generally highly athletic bow, and thereby have a longer and potentially more promising career.
I've watched Treacy keenly when he rucked in AFL, always thought he was pretty OK. And we desperately need size upgrade on our midget mids where and when feasible - otherwise we're just throwing away any centre advantage.

I can understand where you are coming from but it’s all well and good until we are 40 points behind 5 minutes into Q2, Treacy amiss and Banfield have 2 disposals between them and we are getting monstered in the clearances around the middle while one of the best contested ball winners of all time sits on the sidelines. And Kelli underwood and David king are in the commentary box laughing at us.
Fyfe is a gun. He had 10 disposals in a quarter and a half last week and a goal.
We can’t afford to leave a player of that quality on the sidelines. If he’s fit, he plays. Mainly in the midfield ideally.
We are a bottom 6 team, not the threepeat lions or Hawks.

He cops a bad rap on here.

But I reckon Dermott Breteron has a soft spot for Freo. I wouldn't say he comes across as derogatory towards us.

His commentary was pretty fair on Saturday night.

He has said numerous times in the 2013 GF that freo fans were the best bunch of fans he has come across.

I remember him defending the fans as well when that dropkick assaulted a female at the 2015 prelim final.

But I reckon Dermott Breteron has a soft spot for Freo. I wouldn't say he comes across as derogatory towards us.

He has said numerous times in the 2013 GF that freo fans were the best bunch of fans he has come across.

I remember him defending the fans as well when that dropkick assaulted a female at the 2015 prelim final.
Him and Gerald Healy

I can understand where you are coming from but it’s all well and good until we are 40 points behind 5 minutes into Q2, Treacy amiss and Banfield have 2 disposals between them and we are getting monstered in the clearances around the middle while one of the best contested ball winners of all time sits on the sidelines. And Kelli underwood and David king are in the commentary box laughing at us.
Fyfe is a gun. He had 10 disposals in a quarter and a half last week and a goal.
We can’t afford to leave a player of that quality on the sidelines. If he’s fit, he plays. Mainly in the midfield ideally.
We are a bottom 6 team, not the threepeat lions or Hawks.
Okay. Let's make Erasmus sub. Fyfe mid.. 🙂

Rotate with Jackson, switta in the forward line

wish he’d just stfu.

he dribbled s**t, talking more than the commentators

wish he’d just stfu.

he dribbled s**t, talking more than the commentators

His carry-on about Meek suddenly being a big unit was embarrassing.

Instead having the self awareness to reflect that maybe he didn't pay enough attention to realise Meek was already a big unit at Freo, he doubles down as if Meek has suddenly had a massive growth spurt at age 25... or that good old Hawthorn have suddenly 'developed' him into a beast.

It was such a cringeworthy example of the VFL old boys not knowing anything beyond their borders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

agree. I’ve even chatted to him a few times, and really wants us to win one if the Hawks don’t.

His carry-on about Meek suddenly being a big unit was embarrassing.

Instead having the self awareness to reflect that maybe he didn't pay enough attention to realise Meek was already a big unit at Freo, he doubles down as if Meek has suddenly had a massive growth spurt at age 25... or that good old Hawthorn have suddenly 'developed' him into a beast.

It was such a cringeworthy example of the VFL old boys not knowing anything beyond their borders.
Pav’s reluctance to agree with Dermie on that statement was quite funny. Ironically at the very moment Derm made that statement I was thinking that Meek looked slimmer than when he played for us but maybe that was just an optical illusion created by the Hawthorn vertical stripes.

This fyfe dribble is really just bullshit.

Sub for another couple of weeks? Far out.
Agreed - such nonsense. You’d swear he hadnt played a game in 3 years and was coming back off double ACL surgery the way they are carrying on.
He’d had a great preseason by all accounts and trained fully. Withdrew from the north Melbourne game an hour before the bounce in R2.
That was the 25th of March.
He then trained for about 10 days with the main group before coming back and playing AFL in R8 on 6th May, exactly 6 weeks after he got injured.
He’s been back in full training now for 2 weeks, and I’m not sure what exactly is going to be different about this week, or next week or the week after.
He’s either fit to play or he’s not, and it’s not going to be any different next week.
He didnt lose his entire fitness base in the space of a month for gods sake.

Agreed - such nonsense. You’d swear he hadnt played a game in 3 years and was coming back off double ACL surgery the way they are carrying on.
He’d had a great preseason by all accounts and trained fully. Withdrew from the north Melbourne game an hour before the bounce in R2.
That was the 25th of March.
He then trained for about 10 days with the main group before coming back and playing AFL in R8 on 6th May, exactly 6 weeks after he got injured.
He’s been back in full training now for 2 weeks, and I’m not sure what exactly is going to be different about this week, or next week or the week after.
He’s either fit to play or he’s not, and it’s not going to be any different next week.
He didnt lose his entire fitness base in the space of a month for gods sake.

Is the owie his right foot? I’m wondering if it was jabbed. Looking for an excuse for that set shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dermott waffles on a bit but is pretty harmless imo.
The only thing he loves as much as the sound of his own voice is footy, which is pretty endearing for someone who has been in the industry for 40 years. Many others end up sounding bitter and jaded, but I don’t recall Brereton ever heaping s**t on a player in his commentary. It’s basically just praise or constructive criticism.

The only thing he loves as much as the sound of his own voice is footy, which is pretty endearing for someone who has been in the industry for 40 years. Many others end up sounding bitter and jaded, but I don’t recall Brereton ever heaping s**t on a player in his commentary. It’s basically just praise or constructive criticism.
He's just a bit thick at times, says stuff that you have to mentally double-take on just to check you heard correctly. He's far from the worst option, not one that I cringe at when seeing them billed for our game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back