Autopsy “You’re s**t at Dying” Freo Trounce the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Has there been any follow up from the afl after Frost's front on attack on Schulz, when he was smashed into the next post code while standing under a high ball just to the right of the northern goal square?

The way I saw it the dawk's player ran at least 10 metres before jumping into the air and bracing for heavy contact using his whole body weight against a totally defenceless opponent, and in my opinion it should have been graded as a charge or unduly rough play and at least a 1 match suspension.
It's not a suspension to attack the ball, he did turn and get eyes on it in time even if he wasn't looking at it to begin with. Who ever kicked it to him should have passed it much sooner or just kicked the goal.

The thing I liked most was he was constantly flying the flag. Lots of jumper punching, elbows in the back etc. At one moment he had 4 hawks defenders in his face before sonny rushed over. Didn't phase him at all. He's gonna be some player
He wasn't flying the flag, he was defending himself. They were targeting him off the ball to drop his confidence.

Hawks dude only had eyes for the ball and got a spoil in.

From memory the replay showed he was staring at Schultz until the last second when he looked up in the general vicinity of the ball before contact.

It's a bit of a grey area, but how long should a player have to have their eyes on the ball for it not to be a free? I'd suggest longer than Frost did. There's nothing brave about turning at the last second once you've lined up the opponent and tucked in to protect yourself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately, this is a deadcat bounce.

Take the four points, but unless Fyfe is fit and able to run out a full game in the middle, we're about to get pumped on a small ground.

Keep an eye on the contested ball stats of our starting mids vs Sydney, will be the Serong show with help from Fyfe.

Didn't we have 20k at one home game?
You mean actually had under 20,000 people rocking up? Nope.

Maybe in 2008 or 2009 after the infamous game at footy park when Dockers kicked 1.7.13. the next week we lost to Brisbane in the wet at Subiaco oval where 18,000 people rocked up.

Even in 2016 when we were 0-10 and crippled with injuries, at worst we got 25-28,000 rocking up.

Are we talking in the last few years or in our history? I could have sworn that we got a lot of sub 20k crowds in the Drumm days.

we had about 20k on a cold, wet, miserable Perth night against Richmond in 2016, where our one shining light for the year at that point in AP broke his leg

Positive:
Great to kick so many goals with such an even spread
Smashed the Hawks
Hawks fans leaving before 3/4 time
told Wingard he sucked where he turned around

Negatives:
Tracey’s almost game
4th qtr over handballing

Overall:
*in awesome. Great first game at Optus!
As a fellow overseas-er, I'm jelly you got to go to a game! What a great one to go to.

He really should have been subbed out TBH. Not sure why we needed to keep him in there, hope he’s not injured
He's tough as nails. From the freo website:

]Lachie Schultz has also bounced back well after the tough pressure forward endured a highly contested game.

“He is tough Shoota, but he has come in bubbly as ever today, plan for him to play.”

I've watched the game thrice now - everything good and bad I could have said has already been said... But I will throw these thoughts into the mix:

1. Yes the Hawks were crap, but they weren't complete crap IMO: we were genuinely better, especially with our pressure. They weren't tanking, they're just green ...we outplayed them

2. At the risk of sparking off a row, I had an interesting thought, which was we should leave Fyfe as the sub for another week or two, we should continue to play Tracey at the opening, and we should try swapping the two once again as we did against the Hawks.

A crazy idea? Probably, yes. But here's my rationale:

-- Tracey needs more game time, and we need to keep Fyfe's body in good/better nick than normal throughout a whole season so his effective playing career is extended. Keeping Tracey in for only half the game may suck for him, but it's still better than him missing the whole game. Fyfe out for half the game means we don't get his help in the clearances for four quarters, but it does help preserve his body over the season.

-- Taking Tracey out and putting Fyfe in is very much like for like up forward size wise... Net loss in height is little.

-- Having Tracey only in for half the game (and him knowing it) means that he doesn't need to worry about leaving anything in the tank for the fourth quarter - he can run hard, tackle hard, hit packs hard, take time in the ruck, block in the midfield, really throw his weight around, and make sure whomever he's playing on is run ragged in the process. Then we swap him for Fyfe after half time, who is in the exact same boat... He has half the playing time, twice the energy to expend of everyone else, and will be far fresher than the rest of the opposing mids. Much as I like the idea of Fyfe being on the ground for the whole game, I like the idea of him being completely fresh while the opposing mids / defenders are buggered even more.

-- Tracey is a competent enough in the ruck to chop out for Darce or Jackson at a pinch. Moving him into stoppages on occasion means both Jackson and Darce get that little bit more rest during the game and helps keep both of them that little bit fresher. Given how damaging Jackson is at clearances (and how well he tackles) I like the idea of Jackson being a mid at a clearance (as opposed to the ruck) and chasing the ball Fyfe-style in the midfield -- he has the weight, size and talent to do some damage in there, and can be rotated with either Tracey or Fyfe forward for a rest.

-- the above scenarios helps keep a lot more bigger bodies in at the coal face at stoppages (which is where we are struggling most), but also helps keep them all fresher too during the game. It could provide more blocking support for our smaller mids in Andy, Serong, Ras and allow them more space to work.

-- Having Tracey attend more ruck battles allows Tracey time to not only find confidence, and more opportunity's to touch the ball, but also develop more overall versatility to his game(which is why he keeps getting swung all around the ground at Peel). Keeping him up forward all the time however only limits his contact with the ball. If we can chuck Switta and Shultz into the midfield to mix things up, then why not Tracey too? He's just good enough as a ruck to consider it, and the guy is also pretty handy below his knees which also helps.

I know this is all a bit loony as an idea, and there's lots of counter arguments that should be considered.... I just see this as the only way to include Tracey and give the guy a decent shot at developing more at AFl level. With Fyfe in the team up forward Tracey was always going to struggle as a full time KPF ...so don't try to make him compete with Fyfe for game time... Give the guy a chance to develop more strings to his generally highly athletic bow, and thereby have a longer and potentially more promising career.

The thing I liked most was he was constantly flying the flag. Lots of jumper punching, elbows in the back etc. At one moment he had 4 hawks defenders in his face before sonny rushed over. Didn't phase him at all. He's gonna be some player
Was that when Jye's jumper was torn? I was at game and watched replay but couldn't spot it.
A superb pic of him in the Sunday Times, torn top, arms wide, looking every inch the saintly conquering hero:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back