News Hawthorn Racism Review - No player name speculation - opposition posters tread very carefully

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong. Hawks did what they had to do by the rules of the AFL.
Correct. For reference below, once the HFC had the report outlining serious allegations they were duty bound by the AFL’s protocol to hand over the report to the AFL integrity unit.

I will pin this post, as it seems to be a constant query.

3FB2C172-49CC-4619-8AE6-C93597A89870.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not so sure. I was, but now I am not so sure. Gil is looking to make the HFC a scapegoat. The HFC should NOT trust the AFL
and Gil. He is “a deal maker and could not care about outcomes as long as the AFL is OK”. I have been told we are confident new CEO Dillon will not “take it to include picks”, but I say who knows.

I don’t agree with the Past President much, if ever, but on this matter the HFC has got to to be on the front foot and not trust the AFL for one moment.
Listen to Malcolm Speeds interview on SEN yesterday . Pretty sure its been posted here .
That is one guy who knows this stuff inside out and more than any media or at a guess on BF.
Said we followed AFL guideline and while we made mistakes there is no grounds for punishment based on that . Its worth a listen
Even Gerard Whately abd a few others has swung that way now after having him on.

We will cop a decent fine from the AFL . I get people are paranoid about draft picks though

Kind of heartbreaking to see this letter. I have to wonder if Fagan's ludicrous nastygram becoming public provoked this. I must admit my view of Fagan has dramatically dropped since that letter and it was already pretty low given the route he and Clarkson took from the outset. Always having the players' interest at heart all sounds like just a PR job.

Also, very damaging for the AFL now. This is what they have wanted to avoid. Reckon it will influence their approach to penalising the club although the trigger here really is the way the accused have behaved. I just hope the club is prepping for dealing with the AFL. I don't think the AFL has a leg to stand on taking this issue out on the club.
What letter is this?
*sorry if posted & I've missed it.

And what Nastygram from Fagan are we referring to?
**again, sorry if missed.

PM if more appropriate.

Doesn't matter who or how long they were with us. Tbh it's actually worse if they had a very short tenure and ended up feeling and being treated the way they were in such a short time.

What letter is this?
*sorry if posted & I've missed it.

And what Nastygram from Fagan are we referring to?
**again, sorry if missed.

PM if more appropriate.

There was a letter from Fagan's lawyers that was made public last night. Hard threatening language. Apparently, the AFL abandoned mediation after that letter was issued. I don't have time but it is posted in this thread last night. A few pages back.

I am not so sure. I was, but now I am not so sure. Gil is looking to make the HFC a scapegoat. The HFC should NOT trust the AFL
and Gil. He is “a deal maker and could not care about outcomes as long as the AFL is OK”. I have been told we are confident new CEO Dillon will not “take it to include picks”, but I say who knows.

I don’t agree with the Past President much, if ever, but on this matter the HFC has got to to be on the front foot and not trust the AFL for one moment.

HFC learned long ago not to trust the AFL. We just need a little reminder now and again

Listen to Malcolm Speeds interview on SEN yesterday . Pretty sure its been posted here .
That is one guy who knows this stuff inside out and more than any media or at a guess on BF.
Said we followed AFL guideline and while we made mistakes there is no grounds for punishment based on that . Its worth a listen
Even Gerard Whately abd a few others has swung that way now after having him on.

We will cop a decent fine from the AFL . I get people are paranoid about draft picks though
I agree, but please do not underestimate the AFL and Gillon.

I love the last bit of the letter…

‘These blokes who changed the course of our lives have never been exonerated by the AFL. The Panel never made any findings because it was shut down.’

Seriously pissed at the implication the panel found they had no case to answer. Just not the case. The panel agreed not to stand in the way of the afl negotiated outcome.

Well done to the letters authors.

I was under the impression Hawthorn the organisation was already unequivocally sorry, but perhaps it needs repeating
Hawks weren’t a part of the agreement with the afl and the former players. Seems they want to be listened to and feel the club hasn’t done that to the extent they expect. Also, a representative of some of the players has stated that the club publicly promised to support the players through counselling etc and reneged on that promise and had to be fought for it. So not sure a general apology is probably not going to cut it.

Egan was employed to help protect the welfare of our indigenous players. Obviously he feels the club didn’t enable him to do that successfully.

What is his relationship to Phil Egan?
Any or purely a coincidence of having the same surname

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the last bit of the letter…

‘These blokes who changed the course of our lives have never been exonerated by the AFL. The Panel never made any findings because it was shut down.’

Seriously pissed at the implication the panel found they had no case to answer. Just not the case. The panel agreed not to stand in the way of the afl negotiated outcome.
The sanctimonious statement by fagan following the Afl exonerating them would have been like petrol on a bonfire.

I agree, but please do not underestimate the AFL and Gillon.
All I have is evidence for which to under-estimate them:
  • FIXture
  • MRP
  • Tribunal
  • Free Agent compensation formula
  • Weekly umpiring performance
  • Essenscum drug cheating scandal
  • Priority picks
  • Melbourne 'not tanking but penalised anyway'

I'm actually bored & can't bothered listing other reasons to under-estimate their future performance.

Strange comment, he’s just saying he doesn’t remember the person.
He’s said it multiple times, like JML has no right to be involved if he doesn’t know who he is.

So this guy needs guidance from three white guys… sure.

Those who watched JML would have seen how hard he tried if on field matters to you.

The players statement today confirms to me the belief that Hawthorn underestimated what would be declared when they attempted to find justification for the Rioli’s claims and the players involved really just wanted to then be heard.

Does the leak of issues for Jackson to follow up happen if the players have faith that the Hawthorn report won’t get sat on during finals?

This all seems to have blown up because they felt the whole way that their issues would never be addressed.

I can’t help but think this entire mess gets handled in an instant if the AFL had any integrity in their integrity dept, and I’m amazed how more people don’t question how the AFL mishandled this and did nothing for 8 months.

The names have been released.
Can't say I even remember Jermaine Miller-lewis
I'd say because he wasn't in an environment that understood him, cared for him properly.

Pretty sure he was in the AA U/18 squad... not a guarantee for you to get to know him but it is an indicator as we know. I think he was injured and maybe had hip surgery in his early career.

I'd say Clarko is fkd. Cyril wants to give him both barrels. You can run, but you can't hide.

Which is interesting because those who want to blindly defend Clarko will clutch to ‘but Burgoyne/Hill/Bateman etc like him!!!’ - as well as using Clarko’s premiership success as some kind of cloak of immunity to all accusation. But here’s Cyril seemingly seeing fit to stand by all the accusers.

Again - this isn’t me assigning guilt I’m just pointing out that I don’t know why Clarko’s club success grants him total believability for some but Rioli’s doesn’t grant any to the accusers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back