AFL Autopsy RND 19: Essington Rides Again

Remove this Banner Ad

Phillips back in really realigned the structure and he truly did singlehandedly turn the game on it’s head. Just a bit of bad luck losing the clearances by 20, it really could have gone either way.

Heppell lead the way in the backline with his experience (0 turnovers per the eye test) - with the co-captain and former no.1 pick ‘Pidge’ again dominating his opponent and hitting some absolute laser passes by foot.

Snelling over Menzie proved yet another coaching master stroke and shows why you should always go with out of form old players ahead of hungry younger players who actually look like they give a s**t.

All in all a solid effort.

No changes for next week, bar Bryan for Weideman.

I smell a first finals win in 20 years coming.

Team full of ****ing passengers. Only Ridley can hold his head high. This isn't a finals team and we need to be ****ing ruthless about not giving fringe players undeserved games if we want to eventually contend.

I'm sick of McGrath too, 3 shit weeks in a row after a blinder vs Adelaide. Him letting Weightman fly uncontested for that grab late on the game is the epitome of shit heart and effort. Not fit for vice captaincy.

Looks like we've run out of steam for the season. Shame as we had some good momentum before the close loss to Port. Some of the selections have been confusing - not sure why we aren't playing Menzie yet are lacking effective small forwards? Stringer is either not right (or done) as well.

Only saw the 2nd half but it was meh. Nothing to get excited about - which is different to first half of the year.
Scott doesn’t have a lot left to work with though. Wouldn’t mind seeing wanganeen and davey get a run at some stage. Probably tsatsas too. Baldwin likely in for Ridley next week. Quads can be nasty. Would be good to see Baldwin string a few afl games together in D to see what he’s got

Its just the same old shit week in week out.

• Ball lives in our backline
  • We kick the ball around going nowhere
  • Long kick forward that gets turned over
  • Giving up easy goals
  • Outnumbered all over the ground
  • Players that lack instinct when the ball is in dispute
  • No spread from the contest and getting burnt badly when other teams do
  • Stuffing around with the ball taking forever to get it forward

What’s the point of playing finals. It’s pointless, we’d get taught a lesson. Slow kick mark footy, turn it over and get punished.

Our midfielders accountability at stoppage was a Deadset disgrace tonight
Agreed, so the coaches may be prioritising sorting the list for this year, rather than team performance.

People realise Redman “disappears” because opposition don’t care if anyone else in our back 6 gets the ball in the back half of the ground. Even Ridley who is an excellent kick isn’t overly dynamic ball in hand.

We’ve got McGrath and Heppell racking up useless stats while playing on the oppositions high half forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team full of ******* passengers. Only Ridley can hold his head high. This isn't a finals team and we need to be ******* ruthless about not giving fringe players undeserved games if we want to eventually contend.

I'm sick of McGrath too, 3 s**t weeks in a row after a blinder vs Adelaide. Him letting Weightman fly uncontested for that grab late on the game is the epitome of s**t heart and effort. Not fit for vice captaincy.
Zerk, langers and rids were our best tonight. Everyone else very stinky

Too many passengers. Small forwards who don't apply pressure, half backs who aren't damaging with the ball and a midfield that picks and chooses when to be physical.
Whats most frustrating about the small forwards is we have no clear cut small forwards who can change the game in a quarter. They are all nice small forwards. Menzies can kick a goal or two. Wanganeen can lay a tackle or kick a goal. Tippa is done imho. We have an oversupply of small forwards, none that are going to change the dynamic of the team.

The half backs have shown they can play well. I fear tonight was just a result of both the pressure on the mids and the lack of marking power in front of the ball.

The stat that hits home is that we were winning clearances 13-4 at QT....We lost the stat ultimately 26-48.
Meaning they had 31 more clearances than us in 3 quarters.

Blame the umpires all you want, we let the Dogs do what they want, and they obliged. That's why we lost, and badly.

Parish, Merrett, Caldwell, Hobbs.

Same, same. But different

Bring back Setterfield asap

Looking at your draw you might luck out in final round with Collingwood games clear on top choosing to ‘manage’ stars before first qualifying final.
I think we would all rather us just miss out completely rather than another elim final shellacking.

Team full of ******* passengers. Only Ridley can hold his head high. This isn't a finals team and we need to be ******* ruthless about not giving fringe players undeserved games if we want to eventually contend.

I'm sick of McGrath too, 3 s**t weeks in a row after a blinder vs Adelaide. Him letting Weightman fly uncontested for that grab late on the game is the epitome of s**t heart and effort. Not fit for vice captaincy.
Wow.

May I ask who you propose comes in to replace said fringe players?

Simon Pegg Cheers GIF by PeacockTV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back