Preview Changes: R20 Showdown vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

So are you suggesting anytime a young player comes into a team, plays well and gets another game it proves that the coach has been wrong all year not to play him. That’s just a nonsensical argument.
The position that Nank likely gets fames in - wing and half back, have been pretty strong spots for us this year. Yes you would have Sloane out (at the very least rotating out) but Nicks disagrees with you.
But lots of coaches - most coaches - value having the experienced head in just for those few important things they do per game - moreso than anyone on here

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
What I’m suggesting is Nicks didn’t select him when he had the chance, ie against Essendon and he said he wasn’t ready.

Then when Nankervis gets a last minute call up due to illness, performs well, holds his spot, then yes the coach who said he wasn’t ready and didn’t pick him previously is proven wrong.

Not that hard to grasp and to disagree with it is just cheerleading nonsense.

I’m as disappointed about the Crouch selection as the next person. I just don’t like the kneejerk whingeing for which this board is renowned.
So basically, according to you, we’re all just meant to shut the fxxk up and accept the clubs decisions..

After 5 years of mediocrity.. at what point do you feel we should start speaking up about then?..

In another 5 years?

Seems that this club is a reflection of its supporter base.. a whole heap of happy clappers that are simply happy to accept mediocrity.. as long as the guys playing for it and the people coaching the team and running the club are all trying their best are happy and having a good time..

And are you?.. are you really that disappointed with the crouch selection?..

Ever since Malcolm Blight walked out the door.. it seems there has been this fxxked up attitude at the club that “near enough is good enough”.. “poor skills are acceptable as long as the guy tries his heart out” and “experience is more important than skill and current form”..

If Blight walked back in the door today.. smith, sloane, crouch would be told to pack their bags immediately.. “off you go lads… fxxk off”.. as he did in 96 with A. Jarman, mcdermott and mcguiness..

Anyone here think that anyone at the club would even have the guts to put an end to the careers of loved veterans like that?

Sh*t no… The fxxkwits cling to these lads like baby’s to security blankets..

You’re just assuming I want him in the team. I don’t. Read what I write - don’t fight imaginary battles over things I didn’t say.
Why are you even on a discussion forum then, if you don’t want him in the team but having a crack at those expressing the same opinion?
I can’t think of anything more pointless than not expressing your football opinions on a football forum.
Your only expressions seem to be whinging how bad it is here.

At this stage your best bet is to read the club newsletter at home and smile to yourself.

Last edited:
I think you're confused. Saad got 17 touches against the Crows. It's his 4th lowest disposal count for the year, average is 20.5.

His best tagging job was probably keeping Matt Rowell to 15 touches (third lowest for the year, average 20.8) while having 25 and 2 goals himself. Though Rowell did have 10 clearances and a big third quarter.
Keays is good at tagging rebounding defenders to make them more acountable, because as soon as the ball is in our possession, he sprints off of them to an open goal to try and score. Thought he did a decent job on Daicos the first time to try limit the effectiveness of his possessions, but I don't think he goes well on midfielders, because he likes winning the ball just as much and so doesn't do a tight tag.

Unlike most Bigfooty posters, our coaches see a pathway to victory tomorrow night. The same posters who predicted we would get thrashed by Collingwood and Melbourne at the G are at it again. Perhaps they will be correct this time, we have three of our top 12 players missing (Rankine, Murray and Rachele).

I am happy for Michaelanney and Keane to come in, retaining The Nank and moving Hinge to the wing. Providing he is fit, Laird is a big improvement.

I would have preferred to see Crouch, Murphy or Sloane to be “rested” rather than Cook but this is unlikely to have a significant effect on the result. I would have also liked to see Soligo come in but I don’t know how his bout of flu has impacted his fitness.

We can’t allow Poort Pear to get the ball on the outside since Rozee, Butters, Houston and JHF will kill us. Their top end is very good but their bottom six players would be very competitive in a spud off. I suspect we will see ROB winning most taps and dropping them at his feet. I do believe Hinge and Jones are easily our best wingers so they will play a key role.

Am I feeling the Vibe? ……….Tell him …….

Unlike most Bigfooty posters, our coaches see a pathway to victory tomorrow night. The same posters who predicted we would get thrashed by Collingwood and Melbourne at the G are at it again. Perhaps they will be correct this time, we have three of our top 12 players missing (Rankine, Murray and Rachele).

I am happy for Michaelanney and Keane to come in, retaining The Nank and moving Hinge to the wing. Providing he is fit, Laird is a big improvement.

I would have preferred to see Crouch, Murphy or Sloane to be “rested” rather than Cook but this is unlikely to have a significant effect on the result. I would have also liked to see Soligo come in but I don’t know how his bout of flu has impacted his fitness.

We can’t allow Poort Pear to get the ball on the outside since Rozee, Butters, Houston and JHF will kill us. Their top end is very good but their bottom six players would be very competitive in a spud off. I suspect we will see ROB winning most taps and dropping them at his feet. I do believe Hinge and Jones are easily our best wingers so they will play a key role.

So you don’t agree with the coaches so what exactly is your point?

Oh and these same coaches didn’t select Nank last week, lucky for illness hey?

You’ve described what a lot of us have said and that’s, nicks is going for the “now” not the future.
And if some of those changes wouldn’t have a significant impact on the result, why on earth would we go with the washed up ones?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If everyone was so concerned re selection integrity they’d be disappointed Gollant didn’t get a game

Fogarty the obvious out

But nah , not much comment

I’d have Cook in and Sloane out , to go with Gollant for Fog

Happy with Keane and Max as ins

That's the biggest load of horseshit I've ever read from you, which says a lot, because you've produced quite a bit of it over the journey.

The messaging is that Nicks doesn't trust the younger players. Pure and simple. So if you talk about him trying to build a winning culture, what he's effectively saying is that the kids aren't able to produce that.

Or that he doesn’t trust to have too many at the wheel at one time - still 5 guys playing with 20 games or less?

Thats massive because PIG has been massive for them this year.
IMO Pig is their best player..

Never a chance of course.. but I would love to offer him a massive contract that he couldnt say no to and pinch him off them!..

Lad is a fxxkn gun and what I love the most about him is that he’s still plays good even when the rest of their side isnt.. he’s managed to drag them back into many games this year..

Nah, godden said after the game last weekend that Soligo was unwell that morning.. and it was a massive effort for him to get up for the game..
Aren’t you confusing soligo with berry? I thought it was berry who was ill?
Soligo played last week and played well.

You’ve also described what a lot of us have said and that’s, nicks is going for the “now” not the future.
And if some of those changes wouldn’t have a significant impact on the result, why on earth would we go with the washed up ones?

If we're still forced to play Sloane, Keays and Crouch in the midfield at this stage of our rebuild, then I guess our recruiters and list manager should be sacked then? The development coaches should probably go too if those three are still in our best midfield.

What I’m suggesting is Nicks didn’t select him when he had the chance, ie against Essendon and he said he wasn’t ready.

Then when Nankervis gets a last minute call up due to illness, performs well, holds his spot, then yes the coach who said he wasn’t ready and didn’t pick him previously is proven wrong.

Not that hard to grasp and to disagree with it is just cheerleading nonsense.

My point is that it happens with more than half the young players in the league - particularly in their 2/3 year on a list. Young player comes in plays well holds spot next week.
It’s a fundamental in AFL that happens with every club all of the time

As you say - not that hard to grasp

If everyone was so concerned re selection integrity they’d be disappointed Gollant didn’t get a game

Fogarty the obvious out

But nah , not much comment

I’d have Cook in and Sloane out , to go with Gollant for Fog

Happy with Keane and Max as ins
Why Gollant Jeff ? .......yeah he had a good game last weekend ....but B4 that for many weeks, his hands have been cement

I could understand Gollant for Thilthorpe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back