Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

What should happen with Maynard?

• 1-2 match suspension for careless, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 247 27.9%
  • 3-4 match suspension for intentional, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 203 23.0%
  • 5+ match suspension, intentional or careless with severe impact, straight to tribunal

Votes: 68 7.7%
  • Charges downgraded to a fine

Votes: 52 5.9%
  • No charge/no penalty

Votes: 314 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

THE AFL has opted against appealing the Tribunal's decision in the Brayden Maynard case, meaning the Collingwood defender is in the clear to play in the Magpies' preliminary final.

The AFL, having brought the charge against Maynard, said on Wednesday that it would not challenge the Tribunal's ruling, but would comment further later in the day.

"The AFL has confirmed that after careful consideration and review of the Tribunal's decision and reasons following last night's hearing into the incident involving Collingwood's Brayden Maynard and Melbourne's Angus Brayshaw, the AFL has decided not to appeal the Tribunal's decision," a statement read.

"Per the Tribunal Guidelines the AFL had to make this decision by 12:00pm AEST today.

"The AFL will release a further statement later today."
Finally some sanity 👍

I understand what you’re saying, but it looks as if Maynard slightly turns right to collect Brayshaw. Danger didn’t change his trajectory.
Obviously Maynard didn’t mean to injure Brayshaw to the extent that he has, but he wanted contact.
To say he wanted contact is completely subjective, in real time he braced for contact with a terrible result. 2 players with forward momentum collide in a rapid motion....to assume he had control of those motions is purely speculation as the Dangerfield example shows....

What is wrong with this bloke? Bad enough he has potentially ended or at the very least hindered a player’s career, now he is stalking him and his family?

This is like a train wreck. Fascinating in the most morbid sense. I hope he cops a month and then shuts up about it and keeps his flowers to himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is wrong with this bloke? Bad enough he has potentially ended or at the very least hindered a player’s career, now he is stalking him and his family?

This is like a train wreck. Fascinating in the most morbid sense. I hope he cops a month and then shuts up about it and keeps his flowers to himself.

Stalking? **** me im out

I understand what you’re saying, but it looks as if Maynard slightly turns right to collect Brayshaw. Danger didn’t change his trajectory.
Obviously Maynard didn’t mean to injure Brayshaw to the extent that he has, but he wanted contact.

Spot on. The game was very physical and everyone was trying to legally hurt their opponents. Tackles had extra venom, shepherds were finding body. All football acts, but if they got it wrong they would be up for it as well. Maynard clearly caught up in it and was trying to tip toe a line and find body, got it wrong. Wasn't the most outrageous incident but it is what it is.

I don't like the rhetoric that he's a good bloke who 'plays on the edge' either.
Plays on the edge is the most bullshit line ever.

If you choose to play “on the edge”, it is inevitable you will cross the line and do serious damage one day. If you need to be on the edge to be effective then you shouldn’t be in the league.

I think Maynard will get weeks rightly or wrongly I am not sure (big test case for AFL due to my below thoughts), but what does seem wrong to me is the way it is all being played out.

Cripps took out Ah Chee got off on technicality (which is not what this is about) but I can’t recall the public outrage, Ah Chee’s family commenting, Fagan commenting in press conference, which has all taken place in this case. I saw Ross Lyon on 360 last night say this case has two truths, I think he was alluding to Brayshaw’s concussion history and susceptibility to it, if this is the case I wonder what the way forward is. Do players like Brayshaw, Mc Cartin(who retired for second time) and in my clubs case Nathan Murphy have to be stopped from playing so as not to be put at risk?

If Cripps had bumped Brayshaw in the same way would Brayshaw have been hurt more than Ah Chee (career ending as is beeing played out now), and does this now factor into the Maynard case, also with a law suit pending how do the AFL handle players with concussion history going forward?

It’s a problem that no one can confidently predict where this will land, and to a lesser extent, how much extraneous factors will play in - Bradshaw’s history, finals, etc.

If the entire footy world can’t work it out with days on its side, how can players avoid games (let alone a prelim +/- gf) in situations like this with split seconds to make decisions.

If Maynard is rubbed out, the precedent is set that we’re asking players to regularly baulk to avoid the 1/100 chance of hurting someone in these scenarios. Maybe that’s the way the game has to go given the existential threat head injury provides. But it seems unfair to make that precedent on the eve of the year’s two biggest matches. Better to rule between seasons that if a player is hurt through your actions, it doesn’t matter why, you’re out. Then it’s black and white (no pun). (The next problem then will be how to rule on “friendly fire”… I’m not sure how it can be judged differently. I think Rohan it was on Cameron for example.)

This is the reality of what we are dealing with here, the death of contact in our sport. You all know how the Insurance Companies have driven us into wrapping everything up in cotton wool and massive amounts of paperwork to absolve them of any responsibility in our work forces? well if you have half a brain cell you can see were we are heading with this.

I say don't allow people with holes in their heart to play AFL at the top level and let the Bulls Run!

If you have problems remaining conscious after a knock to the head then maybe DONT F$%^&* PLAY AFL!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a problem that no one can confidently predict where this will land, and to a lesser extent, how much extraneous factors will play in - Bradshaw’s history, finals, etc.

If the entire footy world can’t work it out with days on its side, how can players avoid games (let alone a prelim +/- gf) in situations like this with split seconds to make decisions.

If Maynard is rubbed out, the precedent is set that we’re asking players to regularly baulk to avoid the 1/100 chance of hurting someone in these scenarios. Maybe that’s the way the game has to go given the existential threat head injury provides. But it seems unfair to make that precedent on the eve of the year’s two biggest matches. Better to rule between seasons that if a player is hurt through you actions, it doesn’t matter why, you’re out. Then it’s black and white (no pun). (The next problem then will be how to rule on friendly fire…)
I think if you cause someone to be knocked unconscious for a full 2 minutes , in this current CCT aware environment, you have to be suspended.

This is the reality of what we are dealing with here, the death of contact in our sport. You all know how the Insurance Companies have driven us into wrapping everything up in cotton wool and massive amounts of paperwork to absolve them of any responsibility in our work forces? well if you have half a brain cell you can see were we are heading with this.

I say don't allow people with holes in their heart to play AFL at the top level and let the Bulls Run!

If you have problems remaining conscious after a knock to the head then maybe DONT F$%^&* PLAY AFL!!!
Ridiculous victim blaming post. There is plenty of hard body contact in AFL still.

This thread gets stranger every day. One way or another a decision will be handed down tonight when the AFL Tribunal sits

If Maynard is rubbed out, the precedent is set that we’re asking players to regularly baulk to avoid the 1/100 chance of hurting someone in these scenarios. Maybe that’s the way the game has to go given the existential threat head injury provides. But it seems unfair to make that precedent on the eve of the year’s two biggest matches. Better to rule between seasons that if a player is hurt through you actions, it doesn’t matter why, you’re out. Then it’s black and white (no pun). (The next problem then will be how to rule on friendly fire…)

What? That precedent already IS set. If you leave the ground in a careless manner and you knock out an opponent with a late hip and shoulder to the head you will be suspended.
The AFL do not want players leaving concussion to chance. You can not show 0 duty of care to an opposition player just because you thought you were playing the ball fairly.

This has been the case for a while now.

The problem is you are viewing this as a 1 in a million accident where Maynard didn’t intentionally hurt Brayshaw. Accidents can be punished if no care or reasonable foresight was shown. Hence the grading careless.

That it is finals doesn’t matter. CTE doesn’t know that it’s September.

Jesus Christ.

You'd fit right in over on the Collingwood board.

L

To be fair to Bruzzy, he’s about 4 cans short of a 6 pack

Agreed
The fix is in
Just like it was with Cripps

Luckily there are still some of us out here with a conscience and morals
Let's see hey. Remembering that we have a new CEO who overruled the decision in the first place.
Let's see if she has any cohunas or is going to get Run over by the oldboys club

Edit..Sorry, she is not CEO but head of footy. Apparently though the new CEO is not happy either. Betcha gill is happy to be out of it.

Last edited:
I honestly reckon there is nothing else on the planet that better illustrates confirmation bias than a controversial tribunal matter.

People will essentially tie themselves in knots to defend/prosecute the matter, depending on what jumper the bloke was wearing.

Pies fans would be screaming blue murder were the roles reversed, and on it goes...

I'm curious, when Lynch got off knocking out Keath this year, did you support the not guilty verdict or did you post your condemnation of the outcome?
Not sure but this is a lot different. I think the player accepted the apology of Lynch, but in this case the Brayshaws are ropeable. It could end Brayshaw's career.

Back