Prediction 2024 Best 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you Schultz playing Adams role? I think he could pinch hit in the midfield. Fins game time will probably depend on injuries, especially as we have WHE and Lipinski in those roles and their 1 iron is knowledge of game plan. Who knows but they might have to give Fin a 5 week block at some stage, as long as his training standards are good
I’m not entirely convinced that both Lipinski and WHE will be able to co-exist in those roles. Much like last preseason where it seemed WHE was destined for defence because they had Lipinski and Adams, although they can’t even really slot Will there anymore given Markov has made that role his own.
This is nothing against WHE either, I’m just spitballing really. I think the way that Fly was talking about Fin last year, and the recent Adams interview where he mentioned younger players pushing him out, that Fly will be keen to give Fin as much opportunity as possible to establish himself. I could be wrong too, it’s just the way I’m reading it.

I’m not entirely convinced that both Lipinski and WHE will be able to co-exist in those roles. Much like last preseason where it seemed WHE was destined for defence because they had Lipinski and Adams, although they can’t even really slot Will there anymore given Markov has made that role his own.
This is nothing against WHE either, I’m just spitballing really. I think the way that Fly was talking about Fin last year, and the recent Adams interview where he mentioned younger players pushing him out, that Fly will be keen to give Fin as much opportunity as possible to establish himself. I could be wrong too, it’s just the way I’m reading it.
In terms of Lippa v WHE; Lippa has been training more mid (inside)-wing, though that could be because JDaicos hasnt been training.. and WHE more defence.
It'll be an interesting watch.

In terms of Lippa v WHE; Lippa has been training more mid (inside)-wing, though that could be because JDaicos hasnt been training.. and WHE more defence.
It'll be an interesting watch.
WHE training in defence again just confirms my suspicions tbh.

Seems like its WHE vs Noble as much as anything
Yeah, that was also the case which got him dropped for finals. People assumed it was markov, it was WHE, they thought his versatility just got the 50/50 nod call.

Why can’t we have a forward line of:

HF: R.McInnes B.Mihocek L.Schultz
F: J.Elliot A.Johnson B.Hill

McCreery would be mighty stiff to miss. Then there's the Cameron - Cox dilemma. One plays ruck, where does the other play while not in the ruck? We're traditionally a 7-8-7 structure (+ sub) in team selection, rare we'd line up with 8 forwards unless 1 of them is linked to midfield rotations (effectively 7-7.5-7.5).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have become a bit worried about WHE this pre-season. Not sure if father time is catching up to him, but for such an endurance runner.. he has struggled in the in the sprints and shuttle runs they have done over the last couple months.

Carmichael is another thats struggled in this area this pre-season too.

I have become a bit worried about WHE this pre-season. Not sure if father time is catching up to him, but for such an endurance runner.. he has struggled in the in the sprints and shuttle runs they have done over the last couple months.

Carmichael is another thats struggled in this area this pre-season too.
Oh well, potentially that solves a couple of selection issues. 💁

Why can’t we have a forward line of:

HF: R.McInnes B.Mihocek L.Schultz
F: J.Elliot A.Johnson B.Hill

Unless he's transitioned to another position McCreery looks a lock across half forward I would thought.

It went largely unnoticed that he was awfully close to having massive influence on GF day with 3 shots on goal all missing by narrow margins.

I'm anticipating he goes to another level again this season.

Unless he's transitioned to another position McCreery looks a lock across half forward I would thought.

It went largely unnoticed that he was awfully close to having massive influence on GF day with 3 shots on goal all missing by narrow margins.

I'm anticipating he goes to another level again this season.
He's developing really well and has a very high ceiling.

He's developing really well and has a very high ceiling.
He’s my smokey for the Adams role rotating forward/inside mid this year based off training reports.

You'd have to think that Beau's natural progression would be more midfield minutes rotating through half forward.
The Pies coaching staff are developing a nice mix of multi-role players at the moment. We will be very difficult to match up on and even harder to stop!

Oh well, potentially that solves a couple of selection issues. 💁
The loss of WHE in the side could be significant, his ability to run forward and back all day saves valuable interchanges. A good example of his running ability was his efforts in the last two minutes of the ADE game (in ADE), a telling spoil on one HBF, a forward entry to Sidey, and then on the siren he was on the opposite HBF providing coverage for Darcy when he took the final mark of the game.

The loss of WHE in the side could be significant, his ability to run forward and back all day saves valuable interchanges. A good example of his running ability was his efforts in the last two minutes of the ADE game (in ADE), a telling spoil on one HBF, a forward entry to Sidey, and then on the siren he was on the opposite HBF providing coverage for Darcy when he took the final mark of the game.
I was being facetious.

I'm a big fan of Wilba.

He’s my smokey for the Adams role rotating forward/inside mid this year based off training reports.

Not sure about being a Smokey… mccreery is a natural fit to play the adams circa 2023 role! He’s a far better forward than adams ever was and has tons up upside to learn the ropes as an inside mid rotation. Adams was largely squeezed out of his best position last year with the arrival of Mitchell and that’s partly why he’s at the swans I reckon.

That said, adams was pretty good last season as a forward. But not a natural.

Definitely a chance, but I'd be betting on Lippa. The Adams forward role, was really a midfield role with him pushing up into the front of congestion after the bounce. It was like Jordy for much of 2022. McCreery has that potential I think, but I also think they like his line breaking dash outside of congestion - like with Bobby.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back