Current Police Officer Zachary Rolfe found not guilty of the murder of Kumanjayi Walker - NT

Remove this Banner Ad

The inquest into the death of Kumanjayi Walker was told that, in his 2016 application to NT Police, Constable Rolfe neglected to disclose — despite being asked several times — that he had pleaded guilty to a charge of theft at a military trial, while based in Townsville with the Australian Defence Force (ADF).

He also failed to disclose a fine he had received for "public nuisance, violent behaviour" on both his NT and Queensland police applications, which ultimately saw him
barred from applying to the Queensland service for 10 years.

Under questioning from Counsel Assisting the Coroner Patrick Coleridge, NT Police psychologist Bruce Van Haeften — who was on the panel that interviewed Constable Rolfe — said the officer was ultimately recommended as an "excellent" candidate for the police force.

"If you had discovered this omission following the interview, would you have recommended Mr Rolfe as suitable for recruitment into the Northern Territory Police Force?" Mr Coleridge asked.

"If I had discovered that type of omission for any candidate, it's unlikely that I would have recommended appointment, due to their perceived dishonesty and due to the multiple points in that interview … of the importance of being honest and forthcoming with relevant information," Mr Van Haeften said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-03/zachary-rolfe-unlikely-to-have-been-recommended-for-nt-police/101611494

The inquest into the death of Kumanjayi Walker was told that, in his 2016 application to NT Police, Constable Rolfe neglected to disclose — despite being asked several times — that he had pleaded guilty to a charge of theft at a military trial, while based in Townsville with the Australian Defence Force (ADF).

He also failed to disclose a fine he had received for "public nuisance, violent behaviour" on both his NT and Queensland police applications, which ultimately saw him
barred from applying to the Queensland service for 10 years.

Under questioning from Counsel Assisting the Coroner Patrick Coleridge, NT Police psychologist Bruce Van Haeften — who was on the panel that interviewed Constable Rolfe — said the officer was ultimately recommended as an "excellent" candidate for the police force.

"If you had discovered this omission following the interview, would you have recommended Mr Rolfe as suitable for recruitment into the Northern Territory Police Force?" Mr Coleridge asked.

"If I had discovered that type of omission for any candidate, it's unlikely that I would have recommended appointment, due to their perceived dishonesty and due to the multiple points in that interview … of the importance of being honest and forthcoming with relevant information," Mr Van Haeften said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-03/zachary-rolfe-unlikely-to-have-been-recommended-for-nt-police/101611494
These are interesting and relevant points but is the only purpose of this inquiry to place all blame on Rolfe or will it look at other factors like the mistaken decision to let the violent crim out on parole, the violent actions in the community that shut down the health service that could have saved his life, the deceased violent attacks on police before and during the fatal incident?

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

These are interesting and relevant points but is the only purpose of this inquiry to place all blame on Rolfe or will it look at other factors like the mistaken decision to let the violent crim out on parole, the violent actions in the community that shut down the health service that could have saved his life, the deceased violent attacks on police before and during the fatal incident?

Are you for real? A teenager who had just turned 19yo had his life ended and you're wanting to look around everywhere else but at the cop who killed him, and command that sent him in there.

No health service was going to save his life either. He was gone.

Are you for real? A teenager who had just turned 19yo had his life ended and you're wanting to look around everywhere else but at the cop who killed him, and command that sent him in there.

I said that Rolfe's actions (and it looks his dodgy recruiting) are valid points but an investigation is supposed to consider all issues not just the points that are politically expedient. How do you avoid repeating an issue if you ignore any contributing factors that don't suit your agenda.

A teenager who came at a Police Officer the day before with a tomahawk. :think:

Julie Frost has a lot to answer for. Instead, she's been promoted.

Like I said but earlier reports suggest the tomahawk brandishing was outside, this just makes it even more likely the way the police went in to a house, again to grab Walker was going to end badly.

This has been my position from the beginning and coming from a sense of sadness compounded by the fact that so many jumped in to this thread without a scrap of compassion for a teenage kid with mental health issues and a pair of round tipped plastic medical scissors who was shot dead by the cops.

I said that Rolfe's actions (and it looks his dodgy recruiting) are valid points but an investigation is supposed to consider all issues not just the points that are politically expedient. How do you avoid repeating an issue if you ignore any contributing factors that don't suit your agenda.

Nobody in here is anti or hates cops but I'm not going to cringe my way around this by ignoring or making excuses for hot headed, trigger happy racist cops who shouldn't have been on the job in the first place or the careless command that sent him in there.

Even his partner said he wouldn't have fired in the house for fear of hitting someone else, which is what I said ages ago. It was a completely botched exercise and whether those involved or people in this thread want to recognise it or not, the highly probable outcome in the circumstances was that someone would be shot dead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow .. the monstrous disrespect.

Police officer’s Bali holiday selfie with Ben Roberts-Smith and Zachary Rolfe leads to questions from Queensland force​

Queensland police say they will look into a social media photo that shows an officer on holiday with Ben Roberts-Smith and Zachary Rolfe, on which Rolfe appeared to comment: “Just a couple of cops/murderers and war criminals Havin a lovely afternoon in the sun”.

zacharyrolfe.jpg

Wow .. the monstrous disrespect.

Police officer’s Bali holiday selfie with Ben Roberts-Smith and Zachary Rolfe leads to questions from Queensland force​

Queensland police say they will look into a social media photo that shows an officer on holiday with Ben Roberts-Smith and Zachary Rolfe, on which Rolfe appeared to comment: “Just a couple of cops/murderers and war criminals Havin a lovely afternoon in the sun”.

View attachment 1816334

So gross.

I've never heard anybody use this kind of language for aboriginal persons, not even when I've been working remote or stuck in outback towns but here the cops are. And it's the Sergeant.

A Senior Northern Territory Police officer has told the coronial inquest into the shooting death of an Aboriginal man he as "no excuse" for using a racial slur in a text message to Zachary Rolfe, sent four months before Mr Rolfe shot Kumanjayi Walker.

Sergeant Lee Bauwens was the officer in charge of the tactical Immediate Response Team [IRT], that then-constable Zachary Rolfe was a part of when he deployed to Yuendumu on the night Mr Walker was killed.

I've never heard anybody use this kind of language for aboriginal persons, not even when I've been working remote or stuck in outback towns but here the cops are. And it's the Sergeant.

A Senior Northern Territory Police officer has told the coronial inquest into the shooting death of an Aboriginal man he as "no excuse" for using a racial slur in a text message to Zachary Rolfe, sent four months before Mr Rolfe shot Kumanjayi Walker.

Sergeant Lee Bauwens was the officer in charge of the tactical Immediate Response Team [IRT], that then-constable Zachary Rolfe was a part of when he deployed to Yuendumu on the night Mr Walker was killed.

I have heard it used thousands of times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back