Autopsy 2024 Round 1 Blues hold on in yet another heartstopper

Who played well for the Blues in Round 1 vs the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

They had plenty mate. Don't re write history. They had plenty terrible get out of jail escapes and got written off as a pretender in the top 4 because of it.

Yep. Let’s not pretend that the Pies were some dominating monster last year. They were a goal and a poor advantage free kick of losing the GF.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If I’m thinking of the same bit which was Charlie’s air swing.
They paid it as a free kick instead of a point.
Wasn’t sure that was an option for them
When the imp had already soft called a point.
As ugly a win as you'll see.
Prefer that to an honourable loss though.
Respect the Tigers effort with 3 men down, huge.
I must re-watch the Boyd point and yes, wtf happened with that score review for Charlie? Why waste time with a score review if it's a free kick?

Let's take a moment to realise how far we've come. We're now complaining about winning ugly. 2-0 ans lots of improvement to come with Weiters, Walsh, Marchy and Hollands to come in.. Exciting times Baggers.
wasn't that long ago that we had NO HOPE of winning a closey

paper bag GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was a big part of getting us over the line, in that last quarter…
I agree. There was a moment in there, when they just kicked the goal to put it within reach with about 7-8 minutes to go. We absolutely could not afford them winning the clearance. In that moment, he leaps over Nankervis and taps straight to Cripps, who wins it clear for us.

But that's somewhat my problem: if he can do that, why the **** is he not doing it more often?

The other side of it is, that game is nowhere near that close if we win the clearances. Because we kept losing the taps - and not just losing them, allowing them first use and control - we ceded that part of the game to their midfielders around the ground; to me, it was a coaching choice from Voss to try and build our rebound game. We know what we can do with the ball when we're winning; let's build on how we play when our opponents turn it over.

There are any number of things TDK could've done to stop Nankervis dominating in the way he did, some of which require him to use his knee and genuinely seek to put a bit of fear into him. The refusal to do them mightn't have hurt us at the end of the game tonight, but it absolutely will hurt us at some point.

I get that we need to become a better turnover team, but our bread and butter is contested footy

We need to find a better balance
The lack of class and nous with our small fwds makes the turnover game harder because there is no margin for error if the pass into fwd 50 is not marked as they don't crumb and they can not buy a snap or barely kick a running goal

Let's take a moment to realise how far we've come. We're now complaining about winning ugly. 2-0 and lots of improvement to come with Weiters, Walsh, Marchy and Hollands to come in.. Exciting times Baggers.
Yep. It's only 2 years ago we lost games like these & it cost us playing finals.
Pies did it plenty last year and got a flag.

Last edited:
Poll is interesting.

I will choose an outsider. I was impressed with Lewis Young. Kept Lynch fairly quiet (which I was not expecting), and got injured mid game before returning and looked fine.

acres seems to be 3 times the player he ever was at freo.....

Amazing what happens when you're in a team that believes in you and accepts your weaknesses.

I really liked Kemp’s game today. There was a few gaffs - but thought he played well.

Pitto will be a long time in the Magoos. TDK was great and the Harry 1/2 punch is working well.

Charlie also may be a better backman than a forward.

Finally thank god we beat them - I couldn’t think of a worse outcome than hear the rhetoric around a undermanned Richmond beating us.
Go baggers.

You’re gonna hear it anyway. The talk will be all about the Tiggers.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Courtesy of work, I didn’t see much of the game.

But based on what I saw, I thought the lack of pressure when the ball was coming out of our forward line was poor. I’m not expecting many goals from our small forwards, but they’ve got to apply more pressure than that.

On reflection, we looked a bit wiped out from last week.

To look on the bright side, our record against Richmond is terrible. So it’s good to get one over them.

North treat Good Friday as their grand final. So we would want to be on.

Cripps , mckay , McGovern were good for us … tdk in the last was decent after copping a bath …
The thing I don’t get is , we have had multiple summers to learn a better way to create forward entries yet we are doing the same stuff for the last 5 years …. Bombing it
Good time to have the bye … we need weiters and Marchbank back and a decent half forward …heart stopper every week now … fun times

Back