Autopsy 2024 Round 1 Blues hold on in yet another heartstopper

Who played well for the Blues in Round 1 vs the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I live in NY and haven’t watched the game yet, but going by everything I read here and reading the match report it sounds like a very ugly win. Many of us sound very upset - many expected a big win (myself included) - but, at the end of the day a win is a win, and let’s not forget that we play his game on a six-day break from a very physically and emotionally exhausting game in Brisbane in very humid conditions. Everything considered we did well to walk away with a win and no injuries. A narrow win is better than a narrow loss or draw. We will regroup and reset over the next 2 weeks and hopefully start getting our stars back.

never seen harry so excited when the siren went...........
In form and loving his footy, rapt he has sorted his kicking routine out…

Beautiful natural set shot from any distance, i do recall some poster stating during his unfortunate headspace of snapping around the corner from every position no matter the position or distance, that the around the corner set shot was stuffing up his natural routine and career impact…

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finds it plenty.. but fumbles or gets worked off it by his opponent way too often. Still looks like a boy playing a man's game.

Might need a Hollands for Hollands swap come round 2.
Agree with this.
Ollie is 5kgs too light and needs to bulk up.
Weitering in for Young
Walsh will replace one of kennedy / cottrell
Motlop will replace one of durdin / fantasia
Not sure if Martin is an automatic inclusion
Does Cincotta come in ?
Pittonet might come in to give TDK some rest in the ruck
Elijah for one of Ollie / cunningham
Not a bad problem to have

Last edited:
But the field ump hadn’t given the all clear so the first step would be to confirm if Charlie got a boot on it. If so the ump gives the all clear and a goal is paid. If not then the free for incorrect disposal is paid, which is what happened. Good call by the umpire imo, even though Charlie did get a scrape on the ball and it should’ve been a goal.

Didn’t hear the ump make that call but as you said they did, which makes the call correct.

If an opposition behind was overturned to a goal based on that footage, this place would riot.

He had to be after his third quarter

The set shot on an angle from 65 out, followed by the attempted speccy at the top of their goalsquare were coach killers. Will learn, but prone to tripping over his ego.
I'm sure coaches would be telling him to keep going. Don't want him second guessing every contest. Better to get a couple wrong than be late for everything.

Sent from my SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree with this.
Ollie is 5kgs too light and needs to bulk up.
Weitering in for Young
Walsh will replace one of kennedy / cottrell
Motlop will replace one of durdin / fantasia
Not sure if Martin is an automatic inclusion
Does Cincotta come in ?
Pittonet might come in to give TDK some rest in the ruck
Elijah for one of Ollie / cunningham
Not a bad problem to have

Toss up between Kemp & Young, they both need a footy IQ check however. There’s also Marchbank to consider.

Kennedy is so clunky ATM, too many grabs and just not clean, he’s got some redeeming to do (reserves). Cotters needs to get more consistently involved.

Fantasia will have a spell (reserves).

EH = ? for who. DC offers a P.O.D. to others but in the same boat as Cotters, though that is the nature of the position.

Martin when ready, he’s in. Makes the forward-line a better place.

Recovery for this game was always going to be an issue after such a comeback in brutal conditions the Gabba. Many in the team looked flat, even consistent performers such as Hewett and Acres looked like they were feeling the pinch. Ten take-a-ways for me from this game were:
  1. Cripps - Great again, but needs to stop hunting for free kicks. It's not his go and won't get any sympathy for it.
  2. Lynch - Still the umpires' poster boy and the amount of soft frees he gets is ridiculous.
  3. McGovern - I'm one of his greatest critics, but last night was easily the best game I've seen him play.
  4. 2nd Quarter - Gee we wasted so many opportunities to really bury those bastards by half time.
  5. Fantasia - Really lacked any sense of game awareness last night. Was exceptionally poor.
  6. Newman - Picked up from where he left from last year.
  7. Hollands - Not contributing enough and could do with a spell in the magoos.
  8. Carroll - Really solid again without being spectacular.
  9. Young - Loses contact with his opponent too easily, gives away too many frees and misses too many tackles.
  10. McKay - Another solid effort and looks better on the lead and crashing packs. Love it.
Lucky to get away with the win here and we need to make some changes.

Back